Author Topic: Introduction (please read this first)  (Read 44518 times)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: Introduction (please read this first)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »
@Funietchi

It is great to have you join us Stephanie. I am sure one can gain a fair level of skill in Copperplate in 100 days - it depends more on whether you enjoy learning it than any challenges in learning the script IMO.

I am a firm believer in keeping the practice sessions short. A practice session should be about 30 minutes and should focus on one thing only. You can have fun and 'play' with your pens and inks for hours but writing pages upon pages of 'i's and 'n's isn't going to help much. Calligraphy is a very deliberate thing - there isn't as much muscle memory involved as handwriting.

I will be looking forward to seeing your attempt at the group-1 letters.

- Salman

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline soledaddj

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 06:06:25 AM »
Hello, my name is Soledad from Bolivia and I so exciting starting this tutorials; I'm starting in calligraphy and need a guide in this style that I love, thanks a lot for this opportunity

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:24 AM »
@soledaddj - Welcome to FF and the Copperplate lessons Soledad. I will be looking forward to seeing your work.

- Slaman

Offline Chetwyn Clarke

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 08:28:46 PM »
Hey Salman,

When I introduced myself to the entire forum @ash0kgiri said this was the place to come to learn! I've finally got my supplies and I'm looking forward to starting your lessons.  I'm a complete beginner, and I'm excited about seeing how I progress with Copperplate.  Once I get started I'll post some pictures for critique.  Thanks for this space, and looking forward to working with you.

Chet

ash0kgiri

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
You won't be disappointed Chet. I'm sure you will give your 100% during lessons. Most important, have lots of fun during the process. :D

-Ashok

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
@Chetwyn Clarke

Welcome to the lessons Chet. Copperplate is a challenging hand to learn but very much within anyone's capability with a little bit of patience and consistent effort. Take time to get comfortable with your equipment and spend as much time as you need on the first group. Practicing (and analyzing) in groups of 5 is a very useful technique - don't skimp on that.

I will be looking forward to your participation.

Salman

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »
Hi Salman,

It's about 6 am and I have class in about 3 hours and I haven't slept (insomnia at the most awful times) and I've found doing calligraphy helps at least conserve my energy if it doesn't put me back to sleep (for some strange reason I find when I do it in the afternoon/morning I get sleepy because I'm so relaxed).  So I'm about half way through Erika's copperplate tutorial and I kind of skread (skim + read) through your first copperplate lesson and I have to admit, I'll have to come back to it when I've had sleep, haha! But in all honesty I wish I had slept because I'd love to dive into it right now it's very well broken down and in detail.  Then again when I read your bit on supplies, I think I might have to get better paper first, because mine just BLEEDS.  And I don't think that'll give anyone a good insight to whether or not I'm doing this properly.  I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned this yet (sorry my mind tends to wander on random tangents) but I would like you to know I really appreciate the time and effort you put into writing these lessons out and detailing the common errors as well as emphasizing that we will find our own way to make things work in addition to adding things that have worked best for you through personal experience.  Thank you for the time and effort and the contribution which just from skreading looks wonderful.

All the best!
Frances

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »
@FirebirdArts

Thank you for the kind words Frances. I am really glad you found the lesson helpful. I follow the style of my teacher, Mr. Geoff Ford in writing these lessons.

Good paper doesn't necessarily have to be expensive. I have found the printer paper from the Dollar Store here in Toronto to be excellent for practice work. It could be a bit smoother but you can't complain at that price :-)

I will be looking forward to your joining us.

Salman

Offline Garima

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 03:08:26 AM »
This is wonderful!
Thank you @SMK for sharing your knowledge and thank you @Erica McPhee for giving us this platform.
Garima Singh
Instagram

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 03:53:11 PM »
@Garima

You are most welcome Garima :-)

- Salman

Offline lylarei

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 01:53:10 AM »
Hi Salman,

I'm from Singapore and new to calligraphy and FF. Thank you for taking time to share your knowledge with the community! I'm sure I'll gain a lot from your lessons :)

Offline LAscripted

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »
Hello Salman,

@ash0kgiri pointed me in the direction of your tutorial. I am fairly new to calligraphy and the pointed pen and am trying to tackle Copperplate on my own  :). I am thrilled to be a part of this forum and be able to connect with such talented people who share a passion for writing.

I am hoping that I am not to late to join this class as I would love to be a part of it.

I live in Cambridge Ontario and I have loved "old school" pens and journals all of my life. I am not sure why it has taken me so long to migrate my love of cursive to calligraphy (maybe fear  :-\). I have never felt that I was an artist or capable of creating anything more extraordinary than my "regular, everyday, handwriting". Now, I have taken a leap of faith in last few months and began to apply myself to learning to "draw" beautiful letters.

I am excited to have the opportunity to further that journey in this forum. Thank you for sharing your time and talents :)

~Lauri

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
Welcome to the lessons @lylarei - it is great to know people are benefiting from these :-)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »
@LAscripted  - welcome to the lessons Lauri. It is great to have another Ontarian on the forum :-)

I am sure you will do well with learning Copperplate. I believe we get good at things we don't mind being bad at - your skill will improve as long as you enjoy the process.

I will be looking forward to seeing your work.

- Salman

Offline [email protected]

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »
@SMK I was pointed in your direction by the wonderful @ash0kgiri in my introduction thread. I've read through your first post regarding directives and supplies. I would love to join in, with one reservation:  guidesheets. My printer is either on strike or bound for the trash.  I've tried printing your guides however, the result is grossly unaccecptable. I am by nature a rule follower. I am also not inclined to purchase a new printer at this time- for many reasons I won't bore you with.  I will try to have the guides printed elsewhere. I may have to draw them out or *gasp* buy a new printer. I can't even think about the last option as I've recently wasted a small fortune on ink for the existing hunk of junk.
I do have previously printed guide sheets (using the slant and x height you've designated) I could use these-  though they lack the dased lines indicating ascender and descender noted on your guide.
I would like to get started. At this time it seems this would be my only option if I'm to work directly on the page with the printed guide.
I've also read through your first lesson as well. Do you plan to do majuscules?

ETA: I've just reread the first bit on paper- I do have the rhodia lined paper. Would it be best to simply place 55 degree slant lines beneath?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:33:46 PM by Jennifer M »