Author Topic: Diamine Inkvent 2021  (Read 8472 times)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Re: Diamine Inkvent 2021
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2022, 07:30:10 AM »
@K-2 Yesss, a tip I can use just in time for payday.  Uwww, ordering a bronze fp tomorrow as well.  But, then again, you recommended this with parallel.  That's cool too since I have four of them.  And, yes, perhaps this will motivate me to begin for I S T I L L  have not.  Shame on me!

;D ;D :D :) :)

I received a PM yesterday and I thank god.  I love it here and yet do not spend enough time here (or better yet actually practicing some kind of script -  ::) .  This topic seems eons ago and look it has only been in the l a s t month.  Boy, time is moving along SO FAST.  Almost too fast for me.

I now have a part time job (paying) in addition to my full time vocation (ministry/volunteer) and time is really soaring by.  I do not know the last time I picked up a pen for writing "practice" telling myself that as I write letters (which is at least four to five days a week) that I am practicing.  Truth be told, my penwomanship is "different", I would say maybe even a skosh "better" due to all the instruction and practice when I was practicing.  But I won't lie . . . it is n o w h e r e near where I originally wanted it to be (looking like Business Penmanship from back in the day, like monoline Spencerian/Mills/Champion, you get the idea.  I do write at a slight slant now, LOL at self.

Not gonna give up on myself, simply need to find/make time for penwomanship practice after work.  It has got to be doable.  Somehow.  Hubby says my body will get used to working again as he reminds me that I am 62.  Geesh.  I work in a grocery store, receiving clerk and dealing with prices, changing them out each day.  On my feet 99% of my shift.  It has been three weeks and when I get home I am embarrassed to say I find myself sitting at my desk attempting reading or some such and sleep.  Yup, sitting upright, and gone, lights out.  Not to mention the GA heat.  Then I wind up just going to bed figuring I'll rest for a few, get up and get back at it . . . nope.  I tell ya I had better get used to this new schedule because I have things to do.  Can't work and sleep, repeat everyday.  My goodness!

Next up, Italic, like was advised last year in the first place.  I'm gonna do it!  Yes, I will.   Umm, right?   :o
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2022, 08:19:30 AM »
Finally,l
Shopping cart
Product image    Description    Quantity    Price
Diamine Red Edition All the Best - 50ml Bottle
   Diamine Red Edition All the Best 50ml Bottle

Will be joining my stash hopefully next week.  Like K-2 said, that should get me going.  It's so pretty!  Well, they all are.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2022, 01:16:19 PM »
I also notice sometimes if I take a break for awhile (mostly unintentional) when I pick the pen back up, I am surprised at how good the work is. I think this can be attributed to muscle memory solidifying. The same can be said for running. If you run every day and then take a brief break, when you run again, you feel so strong and great! It’s when the break gets too long, that we lose the muscle strength and have to get back up to speed.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2022, 03:43:53 PM »
Hey, Inkventors - Diamine announced the Inkvent collection for 2022 "The Green Edition" at the beginning of this month (August 2021), but I haven't had time to post about it until now.  It's available for pre-release purchase at the usual outlets.  Have I already pre-ordered mine?  Yes. Yes I have!

In the meantime - here's another little sampling of how nice these inks work in a Pilot Parallel pen (2.4mm nib).  The pen is filled with "Vintage Copper" (2021), then fed with a drops of "Gold Star" (2019), "Garland" (2021), and "Sub Zero" (2021) through the nib.

Who will be joining me for the delights of unboxing, opening, and testing tiny little jars of ink this year?
@AnasaziWrites are you with me again?  Maybe others who followed along? @Lyric did you ever get around to using the "All the Best" (2021) that you finally bought?  I'd love to see what you've done with it!

--yours, K

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »
Oh wow! That is beautiful! Can’t wait to see your samples!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2022, 04:43:27 PM »
@K-2
I'm in. I'm down to only 6 green inks already.
Who has the best price on these (or are they all the same)?

Does pilot make a refillable cartridge or some such to allow one to change inks without having to use a whole cartridge? How, exactly, do you add drops to an existing cartridge?

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2022, 05:35:28 PM »
Hey, Inkventors - Diamine announced the Inkvent collection for 2022 "The Green Edition" at the beginning of this month (August 2021), but I haven't had time to post about it until now.  It's available for pre-release purchase at the usual outlets.  Have I already pre-ordered mine?  Yes. Yes I have!

@Lyric did you ever get around to using the "All the Best" (2021) that you finally bought?  I'd love to see what you've done with it!

--yours, K

Umm, what had happened wuz . . .!  This beautiful bottle and ink is no less than 24" from me EVERY SINGLE DAY.  No, I have not used it.  Oh, I pick up the bottle, finger it, shake it to disperse the sheen particles, then place in back in its spot.  I have no excuses; none.  Now, over COVID (hopefully) no excuses.  Ughhhhh.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »
Thanks for your encouragement, @Erica McPhee - I will have to come up with a new theme this year; I'm sure everyone is tired of the portraits.

@Lyric - Don't feel bad about it!  There's no time like the present to put that "All the Best" (2021) into one of your Parallel pens and give it a try!  Everyone is so kind and helpful here on the Forum!

@AnasaziWrites - I am excite!  And I only have 19 or 20 green inks at the moment!

I think the pre-release prices for the Green Edition are all around US$115.  But if you're a frequent flyer at Atlas or Pen Chalet, you can apply your rewards points toward discounts on it.  @NikkiB  - didn't you want a set last year?  If you resisted buying it then, maybe join us this time?

You can refill an empty cartridge for a Pilot Parallel (actually, you can refill any empty cartridge on any fountain pen).  Just rinse it out and refill it with a blunt syringe.  Those cartridges don't hold very much ink, considering how much ink a Parallel puts out.  If I'm using a 4 to 6mm nib, I can go through a whole cartridge in one drafting or practice session.  Parallels are compatible with the Pilot con-50 or con-70 converters, but they hold like three teardrops worth of ink, so I usually just refill the empties.

If I'm really serious about using a particular Parallel nib & ink combo extensively, I swap the Parallel nib unit into one of my Opus 88 fountain pens.  Pull the whole Jowo nib+feed unit out; reinsert the Parallel nib+feed of your choice.  Opus 88s have a massive ink reservoir (dropper/syringe-fill), and a nifty shut-off valve, so you can take them on airplanes with no worries.  https://www.atlasstationers.com/collections/opus-88/products/opus-88-jazz-fountain-pen-clear

You can transfer tiny portions of ink into a loaded Parallel in a couple of ways -- the easiest is to hold two loaded Parallel pens, nib to nib against each other; ink will flow between the nibs, but won't infect the whole reservoir/cartridge.  The other way is to decant a drop or two of ink onto a hard surface (like an empty watercolor palette or a tea saucer or the ink jar lid), and then put your nib up against it, and you'll see it get sucked up into the nib.  When you write with it, it'll give you an ombre effect as you run from one ink color to the other.  Oh, you can also feed it plain water through the nib like that, and it'll shade out as you write.

There are a bunch of videos online showing people doing this - google "Pilot Parallel blending ink" and you'll get some good hits.  Or maybe I should do a post on using & hacking the Parallel sometime.  Would anyone be interested in that?

Here are a few close-up images that sort of show that ombre effect better (I got a cool new clip-on macro lens for my phone camera)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2022, 09:16:11 AM »
I tried a practice with All the Best and it is so pretty (on my Rhodia paper).  Will be glad when I get good at italics so it can really look pretty.  The Diamine is in the second photo, about middle of the page the diagonal lines.  I was using Pilot Parallel pen 3.8 with a cartridge so I had to switch to a pen with no cartridge inside. 

Boy the dipping is sure different than with the cartridge.  I think for practice I like having the cartridge.  I have enough going on to think about without adding dipping a pen every few seconds.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 09:18:28 AM by Lyric »
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2022, 11:28:02 PM »
My Inkvent 2022 "Green Collection" just arrived!
@Lyric @AnasaziWrites @Erica McPhee

Did I just rip into it?  Why yes, I did!  Like a little baby child!

Erica - how would you like to handle another go at Inkvent?  All in one like last year?  different threads for different ink with a new board like this Inktober?

Who is joining in this year?

--yours, K

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2022, 02:45:14 PM »

Did I just rip into it?  Why yes, I did!  Like a little baby child!

Erica - how would you like to handle another go at Inkvent?  All in one like last year?  different threads for different ink with a new board like this Inktober?

Who is joining in this year?

--yours, K
I'm probably going to order the inkvent set soon. I would vote for keeping it in one thread entitled Invent 2022 in the Tools and Supplies section of the forum--easier to see all the tests of ink in one spot.

Will all these inks work in a fountain pen @K-2 ? I've discovered I have a 3 pen set of Sheaffer broad point pens plus some cartridges and a converter.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
Sounds good, @AnasaziWrites -- It seemed to work fine last year all in one thread.

And YES -- all of those inks are formulated for fountain pens, so they won't hurt the pens.  On the other hand, some fountain pens don't do great with shimmer inks.  The Pilot Parallel pens are fantastic with shimmer particles (and very easy to clean), but the shimmer clogs the feed gills in my Parker 1mm italic.  Somewhere in the middle are the terrific calligraphy set @darrin1200 of Timber Elegance made for me.  YMMV, but do know that if you have feed problems with the particles or the heavy sheening inks, a quick whirl in the ultra-sonic bath cleans them out quite easily!

--yours truly, K

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2022, 05:35:22 PM »
Oh I am excited to see what you create this year! I agree with @AnasaziWrites in terms of set up. Looking forward to it!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2022, 03:49:45 PM »

Invent update:

I'm ordering my 2022 calendar on Nov 4 (National Fountain Pen Day) from Pen Chalet--they're having a one day giveaway and sale on that day.
@K-2