Author Topic: Ladies' Hand  (Read 444 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Ladies' Hand
« on: July 20, 2022, 04:06:08 AM »
This is written with a Hunt 101 nib in the Copperplate style, known (for some strange reason), as Ladies' Hand.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies' Hand
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 07:36:14 PM »
Ken, of all the amazing pieces you have shared with us, I think this is the best. Incredible work!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 03:51:55 AM »
Ken, of all the amazing pieces you have shared with us, I think this is the best. Incredible work!  :-*
Thank you, Erica.
This script was devised c1900 as a form of Spencerian Script, but it can be applied, as here, just as easily to English Roundhand. I wrote this from memory as I've mislaid my original exemplar but I remember seeing this named "Ladies Hand" around 30 years ago.

This was the the end result of many attempts.

This is written at an x height of 5mm. Any larger and the extended strokes are beyond me!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:12:23 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 05:20:51 PM »
Thank you, Erica.
This script was devised c1900 as a form of Spencerian Script, but it can be applied, as here, just as easily to English Roundhand. I wrote this from memory as I've mislaid my original exemplar but I remember seeing this named "Ladies Hand" around 30 years ago.

This was the the end result of many attempts.

This is written at an x height of 5mm. Any larger and the extended strokes are beyond me!
Beautifully done, @Ken Fraser . Truly lovely.
Earlier examples of Spencerian Ladies hand are in P. R. Spencer's Spencerian Penmanship, Book 13, 1857,,
including Ladies Italian (made with flourishing strokes), Ladies Epistolary, Ladies Capitals, and undoubtedly are in the twelve lessons that precede this book. I'll have to research earlier works to find earlier examples from Spencer.