Author Topic: Happy 10 Year Anniversary Flourish!  (Read 802 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Happy 10 Year Anniversary Flourish!
« on: October 28, 2023, 01:04:24 AM »
Ten years ago today, our first member signed up at Flourish Forum! Happy 10th Anniversary! One thousand, one hundred, and thirty-nine hours. Several times per day, almost every single day for the past ten years. That is how much time I have put in online for Flourish. This does not include the countless hours offline. And I have loved every minute of it! When I started this adventure ten years ago today, I had no idea where it would lead. Today we have thousands of members from all over the world and together we have created a truly incredible resource for calligraphers everywhere.

When we started in 2013, Instagram was just getting started, and there was only one online calligraphy learning site! One! I received a little bit of fuss over creating free tutorials when I launched the forum for fear I would hurt business. LOL – we had no idea what was to come! Today there are a plethora of online calligraphy classes, tutorials, YouTube videos, Insta reels, and more. And we are all better students and artists because of it.

Seeing other calligraphers do calligraphy and studying their work has helped me to grow and improve so much over the past decade. I relearned Engrosser’s Script and have been studying and practicing my Spencerian, as well as many other different hands. Who knew the internet would help calligraphy to grow and thrive over the years!

I would like to thank our many members for always being so willing to answer questions, share their work, and participate in exchanges. We have Super Hero Members (those with over 1,000 posts) who have been with us almost since the beginning. @Ken_Fraser has started more topics than me! @AnasaziWrites has logged almost as many hours as me. And @gloria_dawn is our longest standing member, who participates in almost every exchange. There are so many more who have dedicated so much time to helping us all.

Things have changed so much for me in the past ten years, including moving four times! A change in my husband’s employment has put me back to work and I am currently wrapping up a calligraphic calendar for 2024. I also have plans for a new artistic adventure which I will be announcing shortly. Finally, I have been working for almost 5 years on my Flourishing book. This is a very deep dive into the world of flourishing, Engrosser’s Script, and capital variations. And I seriously cannot wait for it to be ready! I sincerely hope it will go to print in the first part of next year.

As a special thank you for being a part of Flourish and helping us create this amazing calligraphy community, I have used one of the illustrations I created for my upcoming calendar to design a year-at-a-glance calendar PDF that can be downloaded from the forum. You have to be logged in to download. Calendar

P.S. Check out our new logo!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 10 Year Anniversary Flourish!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 02:48:01 AM »
Wow! Happy 10th anniversary! I am not here for long, but I can definitely feel and see all the wisdom and love for calligraphy that has been shared all these years!  :-* To another ten and more years!! :-*

P.S. Loveee the new logo! Such a great work!

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 09:26:58 AM »
Thank you for all you have done!  The forum is so informative, so full of wisdom, and most importantly so much fun!!!
Teresa

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 09:48:32 AM »
Thank you for letting me be part of this community.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 10:46:22 AM »
Thank you so much @Despoina @TeresaS and  @Vintage_BE ! You make it all worth while! Lovely lettering @Vintage_BE !!! :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 12:10:51 PM »
Congratulations, @Erica McPhee - And Happy Anniversary, Flourish Forum!

This community helped me come out of my shell a bit, and it really got me through the pandemic lockdown. I'll always be grateful.

--yours, K

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 12:13:42 PM »
Thank you @K-2 ! We are so happy you joined us!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline pyaink

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Pya Seidner
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 01:25:48 PM »
Erica
Happy 10th anniversary to the Flourish Forum.
I hope to start to be active in this again.
So appreciative of all of your expertise you have shared over the years and especially when you and I first met when you lived in Maine.
Sending all of my best
Pya

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2023, 01:48:24 PM »
Thanks @pyaink ! I miss seeing you in Maine!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 03:48:11 PM »
A milestone to be sure.
Big congratulations, @Erica McPhee

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 07:46:54 PM »
Erica, congrats on this achievement and thank you for your dedication and generosity.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2023, 12:15:48 PM »
Thank you @AnasaziWrites and @tiffany.c.a ! It’s members like you who have helped create Flourish what it is today. :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 01:23:23 PM »
How pretty! The logo has so much energy and exuberance just like you and all the other people who share their knowledge. I’m so appreciative of this forum & all your work. Congratulations!

Offline claroche

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 05:36:07 PM »
Congratulations, Erica! Happy 10th Anniversary to the Flourish Forum!
Thank you for creating this wonderful resource for calligraphers, and for all that you and others have shared here.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 06:29:18 PM »
Wow Thank you @Erica McPhee. Big congratulation to you and the rest of the pioneer  members who brought this place to this point today.
I know it is much much harder doing than  saying, So I am sure anyone comes and joins the forum will soon feels very home for calligraphy and it is designed for that. Thank you all for that dedication.
I really appreciate everyones help towards  others improvements on calligraphy knowledge and skills  and thank you.

Congrats on many achievements  Erica and for the beautiful NEW LOGO. HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY and again thank you letting me be part of that. I am very proud to be here. ;D