Author Topic: Zentangle newbie  (Read 3743 times)

Offline KateMothers

• Freshman Member
  • Beginner
    • View Profile
Zentangle newbie
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:28 PM »
Since I'm new to calligraphy again (after a 25+ year break)... while ordering supplies online I kept running across references to Zentangles. What is it? Still not sure, lol, but decided to jump in. I ordered from Amazon and my parcel arrived today. I now have:

Yoga for your Brain by Sandy Steen Bartholomew
Totally Tangled by Sandy Steen Bartholomew
One Zentangle a Day: a 6-week course in creative drawing, for relaxation, inspiration, and fun by Beckah Krahula
Zentangle 1 Basics: Expanded Workbook edition by Suzanne McNeill
The Zentangle untangled workbook: a Tangle-a-day to draw your stress away by Kass Hall

Studio series Artitst's Tile Set, 75 acid-free titles (3.5 x 3.5 inches) 300gsm card stock, fine-tooth surface, no ink bleed for fine line control, good for dry and wet media including pen, pencil, pigment ink, pastel and watercolor

Pigma Micron Fine Line Set, Black. 005 - .20mm, 01 - .25mm, 02 - .30mm, 03 - .35mm, 05 - .45mm, and 08 - .50mm

I should be all set to start learning and playing now.  :)
Any suggestions, comments, etc are welcome since I've never actually done this before. lol

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Zentangle newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
Hi Kate,
I LOVE zentangles because it is so relaxing, it's step by step, and when you're done, you think "Wow - I did that!".

I would recommend starting with the Zentangles 1 Basics book. It will walk you through how it works and beginning "tangles."

Maria Thomas, a fabulous pointed pen calligrapher, is one of the founders. You can follow their newsletters at: Zentangle. There is also some good learning info there.

Have fun and I hope you will share with us what you create!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline KateMothers

• Freshman Member
  • Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »
Thanks Erica. I need something relaxing to do. I have 3 sons. Middle son has ADD. Youngest has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder) , hyperactive off the charts!, ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) and is clinically diagnosed as immature. (He's 10 and a half and acts 6.) There are some days, like tonight, when the house feels like a war zone as meds are wearing off and they aren't wanting to go to bed. I need a way to de-stress after they're in bed. I thought this might be a way to do that.

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:43:08 PM »
Kate, bless your heart! I think you'll love doing zentangles. I have several books that I do with my 13 yo daughter and we'll just sit at the table, usually not speaking, but creating while time passes silently. It can be very therapeutic for both of us. Who knows, maybe it would help your sons relax as well? If they don't like it, at least hopefully it can be a stress-relieving experience for you! :)
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline KateMothers

• Freshman Member
  • Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:11 PM »
Thanks Sarah. My youngest son likes art but he likes a lot of things and his attention span isn't that long. I found a bag of misc art supplies at Goodwill the other day for $4 and had an old blue Art bin come with an ebay win. I emptied it then combined the two together so he now has his own art supplies of colored pencils, crayons, watercolors, etc to go with his drawing pencil set so that when I'm busy with my stuff, he can be busy with his. The first thing he did.... draw me an "Nate's Art College. Congratulations to Mommy Mothers. Art Degree".

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:24:55 PM »
Oh - I love that he did that! Too cute!

I feel your pain! Oldest daughter - ADD and learning disabilities, middle son - recovered from autism (and now my easiest!), youngest daughter - ADD and learning disabilities. I homeschool the youngest which is an exercise in frustration like nothing I've ever experienced! LOL!

Zentangle is a great way to distress. Something about drawing those patterns is so satisfying. And I feel so accomplished when it's done. I think you'll like it!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:11:34 PM »
I love doing Zantangles!  They are so relaxing & fun.  I've also recently started doing mandalas...also amazing & relaxing.
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram