Author Topic: An interesting curiosity!  (Read 2956 times)

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
An interesting curiosity!
« on: October 20, 2019, 03:22:16 AM »
I was doing some light research and came across something I don't think I've seen before: finger pens!

Advertised in 1888, apparently.  Not sure the image indicates an option for attaching an ink cartridge, which is mentioned as an option.  What fun!

I only did a quick search here on the forum, so apologies if this is a repeat.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting curiosity!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »
That is so cool! Wish there was something like this now! I did have a pen that fits onto your finger. I got it for my daughter who had difficulty holding a pen but she didn't like it.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
Fun! There were so many wacky things invented around writing. The 19th-century was definitely a time of innovation.

I'm not sure how well this might work. You'd have to really be used to "finger-forward" position, and since your finger is not as rigid as a holder, I suspect it would get fairly sore after a bit. Your muscles would have to serve to keep the finger supported.

I've not seen one of these before, but I suspect, at least for the pen one, most people would not recognize it for what it was.

Thanks for sharing!
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline gracefulgiftedhands

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
WOW. That's so crazy to even imagine using my index finger as a pen itself.. I wonder if anyone on this forum has one of these in real life in their personal collection? It'll be so cool to see! :o

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:15 PM »

I'm not sure how well this might work. You'd have to really be used to "finger-forward" position, and since your finger is not as rigid as a holder, I suspect it would get fairly sore after a bit. Your muscles would have to serve to keep the finger supported.

Thanks for sharing!

I quite agree, I can't imagine it would be comfortable for long passages.  Maybe just for quick notes, or occasionally needing to pen a signature?

WOW. That's so crazy to even imagine using my index finger as a pen itself.. I wonder if anyone on this forum has one of these in real life in their personal collection? It'll be so cool to see! :o

It would be neat to see!  If anyone really wanted to try it, I bet a banjo fingerpick could be adapted with not too much trouble.  Maybe a piece of brass, some glue, and wire to hold the nib?

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:12:45 AM »
@KristinT YEAH! That's true, it wouldn't be too hard to make a prototype. Haha, I wish we could read review on it from people of the past. Wouldn't that be nice?

Offline jrvalverde

• Freshman Member
  • Crazy old person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »
It doesn't look complex or difficult, but the sheer ingenuity of it...! Wow!

Anyway, I guess it will require developing totally new writing skills. But it certainly is a striking idea.

Offline lizt2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »
I've never seen this before, but I have seen Connie Chen use a nib to write or draw with and it wasn't in a holder.  It was in one of her IG posts.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »
True, I think she put a nib in a cork before! @lizt2

Offline lizt2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
It could be that's what I saw but didn't realize she had the nib in a cork - I don't know.  That's interesting, too.  A cork would be fatter than most holders so it might be kind of like using an ergonomic holder.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »
@KristinT
Well, I have a few banjo picks lying around  from my banjo playing days and gave it a try. I had to reverse the curve of the pick from upwards to down to better conform to the nib which wasn't so easy, as the pick is made from stern stuff, but managed it after a bit, and used metal cement to join the Spencerian #1 nib to the pick. Replacement of the nib isn't going to be easy (I tried silicone, but it did not adhere strongly enough), but that won't be necessary, as I'll not use it much, if ever. The results speak for themselves. The lines are just not smooth, as the finger could not be held rigid enough (at least, I couldn't). Ill be sticking with a regular pen. It was a fun experiment, though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:16:02 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline ShawnHoefer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
Interesting that we've come full circle, now, twice. From using our fingers for painting on cave walls, to using our fingers as pens on paper, to using our fingers as styluses on phones and tablets.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
That is some pretty cool ingenuity right there @AnasaziWrites Mike! I love it!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 09:01:14 PM »
@KristinT
Well, I have a few banjo picks lying around  from my banjo playing days and gave it a try. I had to reverse the curve of the pick from upwards to down to better conform to the nib which wasn't so easy, as the pick is made from stern stuff, but managed it after a bit, and used metal cement to join the Spencerian #1 nib to the pick. Replacement of the nib isn't going to be easy (I tried silicone, but it did not adhere strongly enough), but that won't be necessary, as I'll not use it much, if ever. The results speak for themselves. The lines are just not smooth, as the finger could not be held rigid enough (at least, I couldn't). Ill be sticking with a regular pen. It was a fun experiment, though.

@AnasaziWrites , that's a wonderful experiment!  A banjo pick is exactly what I was thinking (do you no longer play?) as an option for testing this.  Fun to see the results!  I imagine the original product offered similar difficulties.   :)