Author Topic: My Daily Practice - Journey.  (Read 6296 times)

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
Re: My Daily Practice - Journey.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
Hello

Good morning Everyone.

This is my yesterday's work. I have applied the suggestion which Is given by all of you...

Regards
Aman
A bird is safe in its nest - but that is not what its wings are made for.
https://www.instagram.com/the.sardaarji

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:36 AM »
# Things to Remember

1. Work on Branching. Be consistant on that. Google Sheila Waters and look for the letter r in her work,
2. Let the calligraphy piece to dry overnight before removing Pencil marks, or atleast remove it after an hour or so.
3. try and use a light hand to make the pencil sketch and a softer pencil for markups / layouts.

Regards
Aman

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
This is fun for me to bring up the memories of lessons from 48 years ago. The lessons are pretty simple, easy to learn and easy to remember. Some of them are so obvious that it might seem odd to make them into a formal lesson. But, frequently the common problems in calligraphy have easy, yet unexpected solutions.

The two most common problems that self taught people may not have heard are these:
You need to be sitting at the proper height to your desk where you have free motion of your arms and are not too high so that you are hunched over and your feet need to be resting comfortably on the floor or on a riser, if you are short.
Your writing surface needs to have some cushion. Either blotter paper, leather, or several sheets of paper.
I believe there are other threads with more details on these two topics.

In design, I recall the very first lesson was the introduction of the *picture plane."
You can Google it and read all about it.
Your composition is on a sheet of paper and the edges of the paper may define the picture plane.
Often times the paper is rectangular.
You choose to make it landscape or portrait orientation (your first design choice)
If you choose to take a photo of the artwork and post it on IG, you will create a square format.
Or, if you know the piece will look better in either landscape or portrait, you can mat the work or draw a line around it so that it is properly presented.
If want to compose artwork that will fit the IG square format, you might want to work on square paper.
Personally, I love working in a square.
When a piece is just slightly wider or narrower than a square, it can be awkward.
Sometimes it will help the piece to adjust something to make it an exact square or go in the other direction and make it a more definite rectangle.

Your choice of how to crop a piece of artwork can enhance or detract from the piece.
Leaving work uncropped - in a large amount of space makes it look unfinished.

When someone comes to me to create an original piece of art, I always start by asking them what their plan is for framing the piece.
My goal is to take part in the framing process because I do not want them to make a poor framing choice, detracting from the artwork just because they are unaware of the aesthetic choices to be made in framing. If they need to buy an inexpensive standard frame, then I want to have the frame so I can make the piece look the best it can - in that particular frame.

So, even with your practice work, it is a good idea to study the overall shape of the image and how to crop it if you are going to post it on IG.
Rather than have me make suggestions for these 4 pieces, maybe you can make a pencil line that defines the picture plane and then decide how to move the elements around or change the layout to improve it.

Keep in mind, there is not a right-way or a wrong-way to make these decisions. Some people like more white space, others like tighter cropping. You have to look at work that you like and figure out your own preferences.

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 03:48:46 AM »
Hello @jeanwilson ,

Thanks a ton for another awesome detailed reply.

Thanks for sharing lesson with me.. and thanks for sharing your wisdom & knowledge with all of us.

Related to the common problems.

1. Sitting position : I do calligraphy while sitting on the floor and putting my LED Table on my bad, ( i will post the pic soon). Unfortunately, we don't have much enough space at our home, where I can put a study desk, or study table. Ok ( we don't have a dining table,,, :D , we have just normal tables).

2. I can try to put cushion ( bunch of papers? or an old news papers?)  beneath my LED board? Sorry i am pretty confused here :(

Thanks for your insights on taking pictures, I will try to use the *square* on of IG and will see how the result comes out.

I have tried to read about *picture plane* and every thing seems to be above of my head ...

For today's work, I am going to try it on a *square paper*  and then define the MAT and then i am going to do calligraphy over it.

Awesome suggestion on cropping, I never cropped my pics .... it's a really nice idea which I am going to try it today itself.

Thanks for your suggestion on *framing*, may be soon , my work will start framing , and then these suggestions will come a real handy. and also i am working on improving my calligraphy, and I hope that i will reach that milestone soon.

Also you said maybe you can make a pencil line that defines the picture plane and then decide how to move the elements around or change the layout to improve it. , I can't understand it :( , may be because i am not able to understand the concept of *picture planes* yet.

Is there is any example on *picture planes* + calligraphy over internet??

Thanks a lot for you time Jane.. I owe you a lot.

Regards
Aman

This is fun for me to bring up the memories of lessons from 48 years ago. The lessons are pretty simple, easy to learn and easy to remember. Some of them are so obvious that it might seem odd to make them into a formal lesson. But, frequently the common problems in calligraphy have easy, yet unexpected solutions.

The two most common problems that self taught people may not have heard are these:
You need to be sitting at the proper height to your desk where you have free motion of your arms and are not too high so that you are hunched over and your feet need to be resting comfortably on the floor or on a riser, if you are short.
Your writing surface needs to have some cushion. Either blotter paper, leather, or several sheets of paper.
I believe there are other threads with more details on these two topics.

In design, I recall the very first lesson was the introduction of the *picture plane."
You can Google it and read all about it.
Your composition is on a sheet of paper and the edges of the paper may define the picture plane.
Often times the paper is rectangular.
You choose to make it landscape or portrait orientation (your first design choice)
If you choose to take a photo of the artwork and post it on IG, you will create a square format.
Or, if you know the piece will look better in either landscape or portrait, you can mat the work or draw a line around it so that it is properly presented.
If want to compose artwork that will fit the IG square format, you might want to work on square paper.
Personally, I love working in a square.
When a piece is just slightly wider or narrower than a square, it can be awkward.
Sometimes it will help the piece to adjust something to make it an exact square or go in the other direction and make it a more definite rectangle.

Your choice of how to crop a piece of artwork can enhance or detract from the piece.
Leaving work uncropped - in a large amount of space makes it look unfinished.

When someone comes to me to create an original piece of art, I always start by asking them what their plan is for framing the piece.
My goal is to take part in the framing process because I do not want them to make a poor framing choice, detracting from the artwork just because they are unaware of the aesthetic choices to be made in framing. If they need to buy an inexpensive standard frame, then I want to have the frame so I can make the piece look the best it can - in that particular frame.

So, even with your practice work, it is a good idea to study the overall shape of the image and how to crop it if you are going to post it on IG.
Rather than have me make suggestions for these 4 pieces, maybe you can make a pencil line that defines the picture plane and then decide how to move the elements around or change the layout to improve it.

Keep in mind, there is not a right-way or a wrong-way to make these decisions. Some people like more white space, others like tighter cropping. You have to look at work that you like and figure out your own preferences.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:54:37 AM by The.SardaarJi »

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 08:08:56 AM »
Aman said:

1. Sitting position : I do calligraphy while sitting on the floor and putting my LED Table on my bad, ( i will post the pic soon). Unfortunately, we don't have much enough space at our home, where I can put a study desk, or study table. Ok ( we don't have a dining table,,, :D , we have just normal tables).

2. I can try to put cushion ( bunch of papers? or an old news papers?)  beneath my LED board? Sorry i am pretty confused here :(

1. You have done some very nice work while sitting on the floor, so, it should be fine for you to continue. Beautiful art has been created for centuries by people who are not sitting at a desk, so, there is no reason that it should be a problem for you.
I once had to teach a class where people were in an auditorium writing on clip boards in their laps and it worked out just fine. 

2. I am not a big fan of LED boards, even though I know they are very popular. When you are writing on one sheet of paper that is on a hard surface, there is no *cushion* and the nib skates along on the paper a little faster than if you have cushion.
The feel of writing on a single sheet of paper on an LED board is for many of us old-timers - very unpleasant. We grew up writing on a cushioned surface and it is doubtful that a hard surface will ever feel right. I don't think it is just personal preference. I think students who are willing to try some cushion often feel the benefit.

If you have ever written on a very glossy paper, you will notice that it is more difficult than writing on paper with some *tooth.* Tooth is the word for how smooth, or rough, the paper is. The slippery papers are similar to the feel of writing on a very hard surface with no cushion.

The cushion provides some flexibility to the surface. It will slow the nib down just bit. So there is a combination of the tooth of the paper as well as the amount of *give* in the surface that affects your writing.

The easiest way to get some give to your surface is to write on a stack of 3 or 4 sheets of paper. On an LED board, this will not let enough light through if you want to see your guidelines. Luckily, there is a product that gives cushion to your paper that is translucent and will solve the problem on an LED board. It is a packing material that comes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.
This is just one product.
They usually sell packages of sheets at office supply stores.
https://www.uline.com/BL_857/Uline-UPSable-Industrial-Rolls
You can probably find it somewhere....often times electronic products, are wrapped in it, inside the box.

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 12:43:35 AM »
Good morning @jeanwilson ,

Thanks a lot for the reply and your help.

1. My problem number 1 is solved , I don't need to worry much about sitting position anymore. ( yayy)
2.  Thanks for explain the cushion effects and benefits and introduce me to the word tooth.

Thanks for suggesting the best cushion for the LED table, i used a lot for the Guidelines ( as i m trying to stick to 5 degree slant), and with the help of your link, I have managed to find one old that kind of sheet at my desk, I am going to use it the next time :) ..

Wishing you a great day ahead.

Thanks for the guidance.
Regards
Aman

Aman said:

1. You have done some very nice work while sitting on the floor, so, it should be fine for you to continue. Beautiful art has been created for centuries by people who are not sitting at a desk, so, there is no reason that it should be a problem for you.
I once had to teach a class where people were in an auditorium writing on clip boards in their laps and it worked out just fine. 

2. I am not a big fan of LED boards, even though I know they are very popular. When you are writing on one sheet of paper that is on a hard surface, there is no *cushion* and the nib skates along on the paper a little faster than if you have cushion.
The feel of writing on a single sheet of paper on an LED board is for many of us old-timers - very unpleasant. We grew up writing on a cushioned surface and it is doubtful that a hard surface will ever feel right. I don't think it is just personal preference. I think students who are willing to try some cushion often feel the benefit.

If you have ever written on a very glossy paper, you will notice that it is more difficult than writing on paper with some *tooth.* Tooth is the word for how smooth, or rough, the paper is. The slippery papers are similar to the feel of writing on a very hard surface with no cushion.

The cushion provides some flexibility to the surface. It will slow the nib down just bit. So there is a combination of the tooth of the paper as well as the amount of *give* in the surface that affects your writing.

The easiest way to get some give to your surface is to write on a stack of 3 or 4 sheets of paper. On an LED board, this will not let enough light through if you want to see your guidelines. Luckily, there is a product that gives cushion to your paper that is translucent and will solve the problem on an LED board. It is a packing material that comes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.
This is just one product.
They usually sell packages of sheets at office supply stores.
https://www.uline.com/BL_857/Uline-UPSable-Industrial-Rolls
You can probably find it somewhere....often times electronic products, are wrapped in it, inside the box.

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 12:46:33 AM »
Hello Good morning..

Sharing the latest work :)

I have tried to make some *frame lines* and *mat lines* .. but ,,,, still not worked out as i want... so i am working on it...

Regards
Aman

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
Today's work :)

Trying to work on all suggestions given my Jean and other members :)

Hoping to improving the lettering soon :)

Regards
Aman

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 10:58:51 PM »
Hi,

Good morning :o)

Posting my Yesterday's work.. not much improvement though ... but still :)

Regards
Aman

ash0kgiri

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 05:35:17 AM »
Hi Aman,

Your composition have improved leaps and bounds. Your stroke looks more confident.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 03:38:56 AM »
Hello @ash0kgiri  Bhai :)

Thanks a lot , and I am really happy that you can see the improvements. :)

Thanks a ton.

Regards
Aman

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »
Hi

Good morning.

Posting my practice again :) and  I used the walnut ink, thanks to @prasad  :)

and I did some experiments too with layout and formatting ;o)

Regards
Aman

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 12:04:31 AM »
So glad to see you posting again!!   It's looking good.   

Offline The.SardaarJi

• View Profile
    • GurmukhiCalliGraohy
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »
Thanks @sheila247 

For your kind words,

:) was busy with some work,, now will try to be regular.

Have a nice day.

Regards
Aman

ash0kgiri

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 04:26:16 AM »
Oh. I like the 'imperfection' one, there is a nice play with letters. Nice to see some thought into it.

-Ashok