General Categories > Favorite Resources

1883 Article on the Steel Pen Trade in Britain

(1/3) > >>

AndyT:
Disclaimer: this is not going to appeal to everyone!  If you have a low tolerance for Victorian prolixity, or no interest in the history and technology of nib manufacture, best give this one a miss.   :)

Having said that, I found this a fascinating read.  I stumbled upon it whilst researching something completely different, and thought it was worth sharing.  My apologies for the photography: the book was in a delicate state and the light was awful, but at least it's legible.  It seemed best to present the whole article as a downloadable pdf rather than a series of attachments, so here's the link:

1883 Article on Steel Pens.pdf

schin:
I love it!! What a fascinating read, I did not know that Gillott was related to Mitchell. Considering how many pens were made in his factory, why is it that not many have survived to this day? Did they all disappear into the hands of scrap metal buyers?

In a similar vein I'd like to share a Tour Around the Gillott Factory
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~thegrove/giltour.html

Blotbot:
The Gillott tour is interesting-- it looks like making these nibs was a woman's job!

Blotbot:
I like the cat wandering the factory floor in the last illustration.  Nice touch.

schin:

--- Quote from: Blotbot on May 01, 2014, 02:21:02 PM ---The Gillott tour is interesting-- it looks like making these nibs was a woman's job!

--- End quote ---

Ahhh the good ol days when child labor was cheap and women's suffrage just a distant dream..  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version