Author Topic: Slant board  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
Slant board
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
Does anyone use a slant board? My calligraphy teacher strongly recommended using one and when I started out if felt so awkward. I kept it at the smallest slant it would go and even asked my husband to add notches to it so I could make the angle even smaller. Then it's like it clicked for me and I started setting it at an even wider angle and now that's what is most comfortable for me. I haven't measured, but I'd guess it's close to or a little less than a 45 degree angle.

Seeing everyone's photos on instagram makes me wonder if anyone else uses one, what your experiences and preferences are with them, and why you prefer to use one or prefer not to use one?

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Slant board
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:39:29 AM »
I like to use one for broad pen work, especially for bigger pieces.  It makes my work more consistent and puts me closer to it all over - I don't have to stand up to lean over and work on the top parts or hunch down for the bottom bits, you know?  It's at close to a 45 degree angle for me too - I just love having that much vertical space to work with!

But it's a bit unwieldy, the board I have, and my desk is piled high with things that get in its way at the moment ... and also, I've been obsessing over copperplate for months, and I just don't use a slant board for copperplate at all.  I have had two teachers actively recommend against it, insisting on flat for pointed pen work.  I know a couple of calligraphers who prefer a very slight slope, but I don't even do that.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »
Like Moya, I use a slant board only for broad pen work. It keeps your writing surface and your pen at an angle for better control of ink flow. For pointed pen, I work flat, mostly because it requires a much lighter touch that I *do* need the ink to flow down much more quickly than I do with broad pen. I know Erica does pointed pen work on a lightbox that is slanted though, so I guess it's really up to you on how comfortable you are.

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »
I feel that it does just bring the whole thing closer, like you said, which is nice. Also, I'm not sure why but it feels like the nibs work easier. Probably something to do with the angle of the nib to the paper or something. However, squared tops are pretty much impossible for me without going back later and I wonder if that would be better without the slant board. Another thing, I tried to write with my whole arm, or focus on shoulder movement while practicing recently and it felt very awkward. I know it's supposed to be hard to do that, but it felt near impossible with the slant board.

Did they say why they recommend against it? I completely respect my teacher and would be ecstatic if I could ever be anywhere near as proficient as she at copperplate. I just have noticed especially in the IAMPETH photos that no one was using one and it made me wonder.

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
Like Moya, I use a slant board only for broad pen work. It keeps your writing surface and your pen at an angle for better control of ink flow. For pointed pen, I work flat, mostly because it requires a much lighter touch that I *do* need the ink to flow down much more quickly than I do with broad pen. I know Erica does pointed pen work on a lightbox that is slanted though, so I guess it's really up to you on how comfortable you are.

Hmm, I wonder if I would need to dip my pen less often if it was more flat. I may try it again soon to see how it feels.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
As Linda said, I have worked on a slanted light box for a little over 20 years. It just feels right to me. It brings it closer and I don't have to lean down. Michael Sull said in his hand outs for Spencerian to work on a flat surface. It's just never worked for me. But I suppose I should try it again.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 09:58:37 PM »
As Linda said, I have worked on a slanted light box for a little over 20 years. It just feels right to me. It brings it closer and I don't have to lean down. Michael Sull said in his hand outs for Spencerian to work on a flat surface. It's just never worked for me. But I suppose I should try it again.

Thanks, Erica, I was hoping you would weigh in on this. Do you know of any disadvantages to it? I'm wondering - if it works for you and if it doesn't cause bad form, is there any reason not to?