Author Topic: Hello from Hong Kong :)  (Read 2322 times)

Offline inkdropletcreations

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Hello from Hong Kong :)
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »
Hello Flourish Forum Members! :)

I don't know how I managed to overlook this Introductions section, but yes! a little bit about myself.

I've always been passionate about fine art in general, but growing up in a traditional Chinese family, pursuing art and design was pretty much frowned upon.  So now I'm a lawyer by day and a calligrapher by night!

The first time I encountered calligraphy was approximately two months ago, when a friend of mine brought me along to attend a calligraphy class with her as she thought that it might be a good idea for me to design and address my own wedding invitations.  After those 3 hours, I was completely spellbound and have been practicing ever since! :D  I am mesmerized by the swirls and twirls and the amazing flourishes I've seen on instagram from all you flourish forum members!  And it was even more amazing attempting the Valentine's Exchange this year as I was able to see everyone's talent first hand! :D

Thank you Erica for organizing this forum for us to share and learn off one another.  I have honestly never met a more welcoming and encouraging group of people in my life!

I can't wait to see what else is in store and I look forward to learning more from all the members and (when I'm good enough) hopefully I'll be able to share what I've learnt as well! :)   And I also welcome any critiques you may have! :D

Truly,
Evelyn

IG: inkdropletcreations

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
Re: Hello from Hong Kong :)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »
Welcome! I just followed your IG. :) Do you have a good source of calligraphy supplies in HK?

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
Hi Sue! :) How exciting! :) I'm a big fan of your work! :D

Unfortunately not :(  To be honest I'm not sure there are many calligraphers in Hong Kong and the supplies are extremely limited, so most of what I have, I've purchased off Paper Ink Arts :)

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
Hi Evelyn! Welcome to FF :)

I just followed your IG, too. My oh my....lovely work!!!
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
why hello there, Evelyn! You can swirl and twirl with the best of them, your invitations are going to be amazing, no question!! I love your IG feed, your style is so happy.  :) you have a natural ability...I treasure my Valentine from you!!!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline lemonpassion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
Hi Evelyn! Welcome!

I love the Valentine card that I got from you. You absolutely did not disappoint! And I hope to see more of your wonderful writing on your IG feed. :)
Hi, I'm Mapet!
Instagram! | Flickr

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:45 PM »
Thanks so much Judy, Sarah and Mapet! :) the FF is definitely the most welcoming group out there! :)

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:15:28 AM »
Hi Evelyn!
Welcome to the Forum!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 12:46:10 AM »

Unfortunately not :(  To be honest I'm not sure there are many calligraphers in Hong Kong and the supplies are extremely limited, so most of what I have, I've purchased off Paper Ink Arts :)

Thanks Evelyn! I love your feed too. I think Eleanor Winters was in HK last year? Did you manage to attend her workshops? I guess your situation is pretty much like us in Singapore. Buy online from PIA. :)

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:03:09 AM »
Thanks so much Roseann! :D I learn so much simply by just browsing through the discussion boards on this forum! :)

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 04:05:49 AM »

Thanks Evelyn! I love your feed too. I think Eleanor Winters was in HK last year? Did you manage to attend her workshops? I guess your situation is pretty much like us in Singapore. Buy online from PIA. :)

Yes I heard she was, but I only picked up calligraphy around the end of December last year, so I was not aware of it :(  *Fingers crossed* that she'll be able to drop by again soon!

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
Welcome! I will echo what other people are saying - your IG is lovely, you've got another follower :). I'm glad your friend introduced you to calligraphy and I'm glad you're now here.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:41:24 PM »
Welcome! I will echo what other people are saying - your IG is lovely, you've got another follower :). I'm glad your friend introduced you to calligraphy and I'm glad you're now here.

Thank you so much for your warm welcome message Raayynuh :)

Offline Des

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • FolklorePH Prints
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »

I actually bought my first nibs and holders in Artland HK :D they were adequate but not as extensive in the US. Welcome to the forum!

Edit:

There's a western calligraphers association in HK https://www.facebook.com/AlphaBetaClub
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:01:41 PM by Des »

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 07:52:05 AM »
HI Evelyn,
Welcome the the flourish forum.

There is one more member on here from HK.  disillusion

She gets a lot of her supplies locally and I think a chinese online shopping site.  I am sure she will be able to point you in the right direction.

Happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram