Author Topic: How do you store all the lovely snail mail you receive?  (Read 15066 times)

Offline evjo

• View Profile
How do you store all the lovely snail mail you receive?
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
I've got a disorganized collection of lovely envelopes and letters from pen friends.  Some are on the bulletin board, some in a box, some on the desk. 
What do you do with the ones you have?  (Besides answer them.)
Scrapbooks?  Files?  Boxes?  Wallpaper? 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:31:50 AM by Erica McPhee »
Ev

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
Re: How do you store all the lovely snail mail you receive?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »
I put all of mine in a box...it's easy to transport and show people!  (I love to show off all of my pen friends' work!!!)

I've considered scanning in and posting to a blog.
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »
Shoebox

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:37:22 AM »
I was keeping recent letters in a binder and then storing them in a box or file once they were around a year old or so, but then I got behind and now my letters are mostly sitting in an in tray near my desk, waiting for me to do something with them.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »
I use some of those beautiful hat bins/boxes you can buy at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Marshalls, Tuesday Mornings, etc. One is larger and has a handle (like a little suitcase). I can just pull it out and bring it to the Living Room if I want to just sit and enjoy!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
I keep all my personal letters in a wooden box. When I receive a letter I put it in a temporary  inbox-outbox kind of thing I made with some card board until I send an answer or whatever needed. Then if there are beautiful cards, postcards, photos, quotes or whatever I display them in my bedroom and put the envelope in the wooden box. When I renew my board with new art and quotes, I carefully put each piece in its correspondent envelope into the wooden box. When the box is full I go shopping for a new box. They are like treasure boxes for me, full of memories!

That's my display board: https://instagram.com/p/3r31A3LSP-/ now there are the ransom note and inspirational quote exchanges in display!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Marjorie M.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 11:43:01 PM »
I have mine pinned on a cork board and on display at our home office.
Marjorie Matthews

Instagram

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:57:35 AM »
At my last calligraphy guild meeting, I saw an idea I absolutely loved. You bind a little book, but the pages are just "stubs". To each stub you attach a card or envelope, so you can flip through the cards like a book.

I have the instructions and making some books is on my "to do" list...  Which means it might be quite some time before it actually gets done. ::)  But I will definitely post photos when it does!

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »
At my last calligraphy guild meeting, I saw an idea I absolutely loved. You bind a little book, but the pages are just "stubs". To each stub you attach a card or envelope, so you can flip through the cards like a book.

I have the instructions and making some books is on my "to do" list...  Which means it might be quite some time before it actually gets done. ::)  But I will definitely post photos when it does!

oooh I like that! Thank you!
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »

oooh I like that! Thank you!

this website (or blog) has a pretty good tutorial for a book that is even easier to use as a base for a book of envelopes.

http://g45papers.typepad.com/graphic45/2012/06/marvelously-magical-mini-albums-a-tutorial.html#comment-captcha

you have to scroll down past the first book to find the accordion book.
they have you fold your own accordion for the spine of the book which is fine if you like to fold paper
but
you can buy a Redi-Shade at Home Depot or Lowe's (for about $$5) and cut sections to use for the accordion fold.
Redi-Shades are temporary pleated shades to hang in windows until you get your permanent shades or curtains figured out.
There is enough paper in one Redi-Shade to make about 20 books.

Somewhere I have a tutorial - but it may take a while to find it.
The tutorial link I sent has a lot of extra embellishment.
It can be much simpler
and if you Google accordion books you will find other examples.

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »

this website (or blog) has a pretty good tutorial for a book that is even easier to use as a base for a book of envelopes.

http://g45papers.typepad.com/graphic45/2012/06/marvelously-magical-mini-albums-a-tutorial.html#comment-captcha

The second book is really similar...  Except instead of attaching card stock or paper to the pleats, you would attach the edges of the cards and envelopes. Once you're done, it's not really an accordion album, correct? The "spine" on the end makes it flip like a regular book?

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 11:51:30 PM »
Most of mine is piled up in a box labelled "you MUST reply to this RIGHT NOW, it has been TOO LONG!!"

and yet, it's still there ...

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:49:59 AM »

The second book is really similar...  Except instead of attaching card stock or paper to the pleats, you would attach the edges of the cards and envelopes. Once you're done, it's not really an accordion album, correct? The "spine" on the end makes it flip like a regular book?

yes, the pages will turn. however the accordion is not limited in any way - so you can still stretch the whole binding out. if you want to limit the accordion and make it very book-like, you can run glue or double-face tape in between each pleat on the spine and then you will have a secure binding.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »
Most of mine is piled up in a box labelled "you MUST reply to this RIGHT NOW, it has been TOO LONG!!"

and yet, it's still there ...

Haha... I have a similar box...

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »
Awesome link Jean! So *that's* what people do with all those scrapbook supplies. Huh... mine just sit in a bin! LOL!

I am going to try to make one of these ... what a neat idea! And I never would have thought of the redi-shades! Very cool!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram