Author Topic: Priceless nibs  (Read 3957 times)

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
Priceless nibs
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
Which nib would be the most sought after, the one that you would save for your final project?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Priceless nibs
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
Which nib would be the most sought after, the one that you would save for your final project?
Simply, the nib that would produce the best results given the projects parameters (ink used, paper or surface being written on, scale, type of script, etc., etc.).

Offline InkyFingers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »
Nope. Especially since, even as different nibs are better with different inks or paper, different nibs are better for different hands as well, since some people have lighter or heavier hands, or more stable or shaky hands, and different nibs work well with all those different kinds.

There is no perfect dream nib.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:54:49 PM »
Do you mean vintage nibs? Or any kind - vintage and in production?

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
I always think my magnum opus would be made using a gold plated Principality with ancient glacier water and virgin's blood as ink...  ::)

And while I do save some precious vintage nibs for such an occasion, in reality I suspect I would still turn to an old familiar Principal or Rose or something...
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline InkyFingers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »
Vintage would be a good reason.  In terms of quality of a dip nib, stainless steel.  Which would be almost impossible to get or rarely seen.,

Offline Karl H

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 03:19:18 AM »
I have a vintage Esterbrook #357 that I haul out when I want the best possible result I can get.  I seem to be able to achieve better results with this nib than with any other on my "normal" paper (HP premium laser).  There probably is an ideal nib, but it's going to vary from person to person and situation to situation (ink/paper, etc).

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »
I don't really buy into the idea that a super nib will have a positive effect on my writing: familiarity does, however, so that probably means a 303.

That said, the most versatile and high performance writing instrument I've tried is a goose quill, by a wide margin.

Offline InkyFingers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »
Goose quill requires preprocesses to make the collagen soft and flexible.  Who does that nowaday?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Anybody can, and the purpose of curing is to make the barrel harder and more brittle, not softer.  Some artists' suppliers like Cornelissen in London and Calligraphie.com still supply feathers cured (and cut if need be), but processing quills is a kitchen table job well within the scope of anyone.  Cutting them takes practice though.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 01:01:24 PM »
Should I ever get my hands on a supply (not saying the flocks of migrating Canada Geese coming through the neighborhood are in any danger ...) would it be better to practice cutting before curing, or after curing? In other words, is it easier to figure out what you need to do to cut a quill after it's cured or before?

Just curious. And I am VERY curious to try.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »
Oh, that's an interesting question.  It might be an idea to have a go at some sturdy drinking straws for practice, because it's holding the quill which makes life difficult - more than actually shaping it.  There's a big difference in feel between the cut you make to take the end off before soaking and curing, and the shaping cuts: the knife wants to skate off or else dig into the hardened quill so you have to work fairly briskly.  Having worked up a bit of confidence cutting drinking straws would probably make it that much easier.

I have to say that although I can certainly make pens which write pretty well, they're hardly works of art to look at.  Getting better though.  :)  It's quite a steep learning curve, but really very satisfying.

If you have a body of water nearby now's the time of year to take a walk apparently, because it's moulting season.  At least that's what the chap at the poultry farm told me - I'm lucky enough to have a ready supply on my doorstep.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
I don't really buy into the idea that a super nib will have a positive effect on my writing.

I tend to agree with that.

I find that an Esterbrook 357 is great for most things, but others are as good, as well.

Ken

Offline InkyFingers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »
The reason I asked about nib is a friend, a nibmeister is hoarding a stash of the "best nib" that only the staff at the White House knows about it.  When it gets dulll he resharpens them. 

Apparently not many of them are around...or it could be a snow job done on my behalf.