Author Topic: I don't know what I want my valentine's day card to look like and I need help  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
Hello people,

I would love to make a valentine's day card. What about christmas, you ask. There is just one problem:I will be getting my supplies on Christmas.

So I decided to make a Valentine's Day card. I know I don't need to worry about Valentine's Day now, but oopsies it's too late. Plus, I like to plan ahead. Way ahead. 2 and a half months ahead  :)
So does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you in advance  ;D

Oh, and I ran out space to put please in the title, so here it is: I need help. Please :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:36:15 PM by Carina_I »

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
I've already started thinking the same way.  I did a Christmas card but was working with limited tools and I've only been learning about a month.  I want to do a much better job at valentines day.  I'm thinking a big flourished Love on the outside with some layering of colored paper. Maybe something besides paper like string, ribbon, lace, etc.  And of course I have to get busy writing a poem or beautiful thought to go inside.

Also recently I've learned about Pinterest and Etsy.  Would it be wrong to find something I like and copy it?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
This is good because right after the new year we announce the new exchange schedule and the first exchange of the year is our Valentine's Day Exchange! So it's a nice prompt to get people to start thinking ahead.  ;D

I know you can't participate in exchanges yet but maybe you will be able to share a picture of what you create.

For inspiration, check out this thread:

Past Exchanges

And here starting around page 5: Valentine Exchange 2015.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Also recently I've learned about Pinterest and Etsy.  Would it be wrong to find something I like and copy it?

Pinterest and Etsy are great places to get inspiration. It is better to be inspired by a design than to copy it outright. Every design is protected by copyright laws. But there is so much wonderful inspiration, you're sure to see something you love and you can put your own spin on it.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile

I don't think so. You're not planning on selling it (at least I hope you're not ;D) and you're just giving it to someone you know. You could tell them you found the design off of Pinterest or Etsy if you really wanted to give due credit.

I don't know if copyright laws apply to replicating for personal usage. I wouldn't think so.

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
This is good because right after the new year we announce the new exchange schedule and the first exchange of the year is our Valentine's Day Exchange! So it's a nice prompt to get people to start thinking ahead.  ;D

I know you can't participate in exchanges yet but maybe you will be able to share a picture of what you create.

For inspiration, check out this thread:

Past Exchanges

And here starting around page 5: Valentine Exchange 2015.

Thank you so much Mrs. Erica! I have found so many good ideas on here -- this is really great :D

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
ATTENTION TO ALL: The issue has been resolved!

Thanks to Mrs. Erica, I have gleaned an idea from the past exchanges, and I was also able to make up a few quotes (one being: Love beauty, love life, love sorrow, love joy (following is the inside of the card) love yourself like I love you and have a happy Valentine's Day) and I picked a few off of the internet to use as my base then I added my own personal touch.

So thank you all for your help!

Offline evjo

• View Profile
Hey, Carina, I'm a bit late in sharing on this topic, but here are some valentines I made last year.
Ev

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
Those are beautiful evjo!