Author Topic: B, R and E  (Read 3914 times)

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
B, R and E
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
B, R, and E. These three letters (capital) are my enemy. They dislike me very much. The tend to be too tall and skinny. They flattened and funny. How can I work on this? I'd very much like to perfect these three difficult letters but my attempts have failed.
Monica

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: B, R and E
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »
Yep, me too.  Have you tried tracing? ... serious suggestion.

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
Yep, me too.  Have you tried tracing? ... serious suggestion.

Yes. When I am practicing I print out a sheet of what I'd like to practice and use marker paper to write on. It's like my hand/arm refuses to make the right shapes.
Monica

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
I ran into this with lowercase s and r. I couldn't make them look pretty when I modeled them on the exemplar. So I basically changed the lettershape into something I'd seen in other people's work that I liked more. If you can't make your B, R and E look nice when modeled on the exemplar (and I agree that those loops in B and R are tricky), then see if you can make them just look nice in your own style. After you play around and get a sense of what is harmonious and what seems to flow well--crucially, without becoming frustrated at the exemplar because you're designing your own letters-- you might find it easier to go back to the exemplar and identify the key elements there that were causing the original trouble, and fix it. Or you might decide that you like your own new forms better, and stick with them.
Clara

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »
Can you post a photo so we can specifically trouble shoot?  I happen to love these letters very much so would love to help! :)

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »
Can you post a photo so we can specifically trouble shoot?  I happen to love these letters very much so would love to help! :)

Posting some examples now. Thank you!
Monica

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
These aren't consistent at all because I wanted to show some of the variations of what happens. So, many times the R and B are too tall or extend below the bottom line. The bottom circle of the B is generally too small. The E is all around a mess. Here's my main problem with each letter:

R- just knowing what looks good. Making that top look the right size and not extending it way above the line.
B- Everything
E- Keeping it from looking too pigtail loopy
Monica

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »
All right. First of all, your first R after all those Es on the last line looks pretty good, and the lower bowl on the last E also looks good. Have you considered entering the E with a hairline to form a loop at the top of the first bowl? That might make the flow a little smoother.

As for the B, end that final stroke not behind the compound stroke forming the stem, but inside the bowl. Curl it forward, rather than back.

Which exemplar are you using?
Clara

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:05 PM »
I agree with Clara, especially about that B.  Also, the left loops on the R and the B seem incomplete- I realize I don't know which exemplar you're going off of (would be nice to know, that, too, as Clara asked), but they could definitely be fuller, with more of an entry curve.  I like to compartmentalize things by ovals... where do they fit in?  Are my curves conforming to them?  I'll await word of your exemplar before I say more :)

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »
Great suggestions. I'll post some more including the exemplar. It'll take me a little bit but will be today.

Being totally honest here I haven't looked at it in a while because even when I do I just make a mess of these three.
Monica

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
Alright, here's what I'm using. I'm going off of the lessons that Erica has on here.

One image is me trying again while looking at them. Looking back at when I do practice these I've noticed I still manage to make the exact same mistakes even if I use marker paper overlayed to trace it and attempt to learn the forms that way. The last E I think is my best attempt. Other than that, I've still got quite the mess. I also see where some of the mistakes are that I've been making just due to not having these out for me to see while I write.
Monica

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 04:35:16 PM »
I want to add that I think part of my problem is feeling like I don't have enough space to write these letters. Any other letter I can do in the same space and have it look fairly decent but these three, I always start too large for the top portion so then the rest gets squished.
Monica

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
Continued practice
Monica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
You can see how using an exemplar while you practice can really make a difference. Your next set is much improved.

I would say s*l*o*w   d*o*w*n. Don't try to match my speed in the videos. If you are on IG, watch other videos like Bianca and @anintran Nina Tran. They go nice and slow and form the letters very well. I find when learning, if you go faster, you end up writing vs. drawing. This is where your regular handwriting kicks in and the shapes go all wonky.  ;D

Also, practice drawing the letters with a pencil. You will learn the shapes and develop your muscle memory.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
You can see how using an exemplar while you practice can really make a difference. Your next set is much improved.

I would say s*l*o*w   d*o*w*n. Don't try to match my speed in the videos. If you are on IG, watch other videos like Bianca and @anintran Nina Tran. They go nice and slow and form the letters very well. I find when learning, if you go faster, you end up writing vs. drawing. This is where your regular handwriting kicks in and the shapes go all wonky.  ;D

Also, practice drawing the letters with a pencil. You will learn the shapes and develop your muscle memory.  :)

Thanks! I definitely need to go slower. Towards the end of that last set I focused more on moving my arm instead of hand. I never really thought of it like drawing but that should help a lot.
Monica