Author Topic: Colorful brush calligraphy!  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Colorful brush calligraphy!
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:27:42 AM »
I have a secret: I actually prefer brush calligraphy over pointed pen! Haha! It's easier on my hands (my hands fatigue very easily ;A;) and I have loved watercolors ever since I was a kid (it was only now that I seriously started painting with it). Anyway, these are free hand, and were inspired by instagram user @thewordaffair I love her works!

Tools are
brushes: Pentel Aquash in Fine, Kuretake H2O brush in detailer tip, and a 000 synthetic watercolor brush
watercolors: ShinHan Pass in Opera, Sakura Mat watercolors, Nicker Gouache in Red Violet
paper: Canson 200 gsm (cheap but not the best; good for practic though)

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
Re: Colorful brush calligraphy!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
Very nice! I like the color combos and effects!
Note to self: I have got to make time to play with my watercolor pans and aquash pens and brushes!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:56:01 PM »
Fun! Love the colors!

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:39:57 PM »
Thank you for the lovely comments! I still have a long way to go though! I'm working on my consistency so that I can write quotes next time, and not just single words  ;D

Note to self: I have got to make time to play with my watercolor pans and aquash pens and brushes!

Estrella, yes, please do! Love the point of the aquash fine! Its long bristles are also perfect for long, breezy lettering such as the one I have done :) When mixing colors, Kat (@thewordaffair) advised to press the barrel so that the colors would flow into each other nicely ^V^

Offline rabbitship

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »
When mixing colors, Kat (@thewordaffair) advised to press the barrel so that the colors would flow into each other nicely ^V^

So that's the secret! I've been wondering how for the longest time! Thanks for sharing, plus, your ombre effect is lovely! (:
♥ Mag

Instagram: @folkandfoxy | Carousell: Calligrapy Supplies in Singapore

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
Be careful not to press too hard, though! =)) *remembers past mistakes* @thewordaffair has some helpful videos demonstrating her technique :)

Offline reneewrites

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:53:20 PM »
I have a secret: I actually prefer brush calligraphy over pointed pen! Haha! It's easier on my hands (my hands fatigue very easily ;A;) and I have loved watercolors ever since I was a kid (it was only now that I seriously started painting with it). Anyway, these are free hand, and were inspired by instagram user @thewordaffair I love her works!

Tools are
brushes: Pentel Aquash in Fine, Kuretake H2O brush in detailer tip, and a 000 synthetic watercolor brush
watercolors: ShinHan Pass in Opera, Sakura Mat watercolors, Nicker Gouache in Red Violet
paper: Canson 200 gsm (cheap but not the best; good for practic though)

i love it! & i also prefer brush lettering/modern calligraphy as to pointed pen :P ;D
renee
graphic designer. illustrator. calligraphist.
instagram | facebook

Offline ekeyart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 05:40:09 AM »
Be careful not to press too hard, though! =)) *remembers past mistakes* @thewordaffair has some helpful videos demonstrating her technique :)

Thanks for the tip!! Love the watercolour effect!!
Elayne x
Great ideas are meant to be shared
https://instagram.com/ekeyart

Offline rorieboat

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • www.rorieboat.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »
So pretty! I'm loving the color combinations and hey, I feel you, I am more inclined to brush to than pointed pen. :)
Row. Row. Row your boat.
Portfolio | Blog | Instagram