Author Topic: A bit of practice  (Read 1346 times)

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
A bit of practice
« on: December 18, 2015, 09:58:03 PM »
After asking for some help on a few letters I decided to go back and redo the lessons that Erica created. I'm not really doing these in any particular order other than by which letters I feel need the most work mixed in with some of the ones I find fun.

There are a couple errors that are more prominent such as a couple letters where I ran out of ink and one "d" that the stem didn't get connected to the oval. Any further feedback you can give on the image posted below would be great!

Thank you!

Edit: I should also mention that a few of these aren't exactly as Erica has them in the lessons. I've seen variations that I've tried out at random.
Monica

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of practice
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:30:16 AM »
There are a couple errors that are more prominent such as a couple letters where I ran out of ink and one "d" that the stem didn't get connected to the oval. Any further feedback you can give on the image posted below would be great!

Your stroke width and slope are consistent, which is great!

Positioning the downstroke on 'd' is quite tricky, and it's easy to leave a gap or overlap the oval, creating a flat back to the letter.

Try this-

Make a letter of at least 6 or 7mm x height. Larger lettering makes things easier to see.

Create the oval, as normal.

Judge the position of the downstroke and place the nib edge at the top of the stroke.

As soon as you start the downstroke look at the point on the curve of the oval,
where you want the stroke to just touch and no more, as it passes.

In other words, don't watch the downstroke but look at the target point.

After a short time, this becomes a good practice to adopt. It isn't foolproof in all situations,
but it does make for more accuracy most of the time.

My apologies, if you're already using this technique!  :)

Ken

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:32:56 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
Re: A bit of practice
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »

Your stroke width and slope are consistent, which is great!

Positioning the downstroke on 'd' is quite tricky, and it's easy to leave a gap or overlap the oval, creating a flat back to the letter.

Try this-

Make a letter of at least 6 or 7mm x height. Larger lettering makes things easier to see.

Create the oval, as normal.

Judge the position of the downstroke and place the nib edge at the top of the stroke.

As soon as you start the downstroke look at the point on the curve of the oval,
where you want the stroke to just touch and no more, as it passes.

In other words, don't watch the downstroke but look at the target point.

After a short time, this becomes a good practice to adopt. It isn't foolproof in all situations,
but it does make for more accuracy most of the time.

My apologies, if you're already using this technique!  :)

Ken

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I haven't tried this technique but it sounds like really good advice. Thank you! I will try this tonight when I practice again.
Monica