Author Topic: Recommendations for fun-colored inks  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Morgan Kelley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Recommendations for fun-colored inks
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
Hi everyone! Merry Christmas eve!

I wanted to ask around about preferred colorful inks. I've seen a lot of people suggest mixing gouache- which is great, I love gouache- but sometimes it's just so hard to bite the bullet and pay so much for a single tube of gouache for just one color! Are there other good ways to get the same kind of vibrant colors that will show up on various paper types and colors? Has anyone tried Dr. Ph Martin's india inks or something along those lines? I have a few of the Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus watercolors, but am not sure if that would be a suitable option for pointed pen.

Thanks!
Morgan
Best, Morgan
instagram: @morgankelleycalligraphy

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Recommendations for fun-colored inks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:43:47 AM »
I've used these https://www.docrafts.com/Products/Search/1/0/10204/1194, which are acrylic paints, with some success.  They're mostly aimed at crafters, and are fairly liquid, rather than the usual acrylic paint you get in tubes.  I mix them with water until they're a thick milky consistency and they have all worked pretty well.  The range includes some nice metallics and pearlescents.  They're for the UK market, so I doubt they're available in the US, but I'm sure you have something similar - just buy a couple of bottles of different things and test which works best.  These are super cheap - 2 ($3) for the metallics and 1.25 ($1.75) for the normal colours...each bottle is 2oz, and I'd expect them to make about 6-8oz of ink each.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 04:26:45 PM »
Speedball acrylic inks come in a bunch of colors.
But I have not tried mixing them.
Gary

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
This sounds like a case for the Richtone Color inks: 20 vibrant colors that mix well. 

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=I142

Cheers, Michael

Offline KartiniM

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »
I have some of the Dr.Ph Martin's India Ink colors. I like how it has variations in shades as you write. I do find it to be somewhat thin and does not work well with all my nibs. But they are fun. I've really enjoyed Dr. Ph Martin's Iridescent nickel (a lot!). I sometime use my water colors to write with too, it does take a bit longer then just with ink cause I have to apply with a brush. Hope you find some fun stuff :)

Offline rabbitship

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »
Yes, I love the variations that Dr. Ph Martin's India Ink colors give. I've tried mixing them to get custom colors and have had some pleasant surprises. Sometimes, if the colors turn out a little dark, I mix some white into it to lighten them.

Not sure if you have Daler Rowney FW inks, but they have really nice brilliant colors that mix well too.

I also just ordered the Richtone Colors that JohnNealBooks has but have yet to try them.
♥ Mag

Instagram: @folkandfoxy | Carousell: Calligrapy Supplies in Singapore

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 11:01:41 PM »
You can buy a cheap set of gouache with, oh, I don't know, 10 small tubes, at the craft store for like 5 bucks. They aren't high quality pigments, but with satisfy your interest in fun colors for cheap. And they work well enough.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »
I get my color kicks out of gouache but even more so using watercolor.  I invested in several cheap tubes and I get really bonkers on getting the exact hue I want.  (Side benefit:  I can do watercolor painting on top of any drawing and calligraphy done using waterproof ink.)  Only trouble with watercolor is that it ain't as vivid and opaque as one would like it to be.