Author Topic: What's your workflow?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
What's your workflow?
« on: December 25, 2015, 08:33:31 PM »
Hey guys!  Just kind of polling the community as to what your workflows are.  Do you pencil first, then go over it in pen?  Do you always use guidelines?  I'd love to know! 

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
Re: What's your workflow?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
That depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just practicing I'll use a grid sheet which I print out on the premium HP laser paper in a faint grey. If im working on envelopes I just do the lines I'll be writing on as a guide. I also do envelopes in pencil first for the most part because I want them to look good. I pencil in larger pieces too or really long pieces otherwise I tend to accidentally skip letters. If I am just writing to write or attempting some flourishes I just go for it on a blank sheet of paper, no pencil.
Monica

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:23:54 PM »
I 90% of the time use guidelines. Hardly ever use a pencil, Unless I am trying to figure some flourishing.

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 11:44:42 PM »
I made a bunch of Christmas cards with white ink on black paper.  I drew a calligram Christmas tree.  I ended up creating a cardboard template of the tree and traced around it with pencil before inking each card.  I left the pencil lines.  They hardly showed on the black paper next to the white ink.

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »
I only pencil when I need to draw in guidelines if I'm doing envelopes.  If it's something like vows or certificates or anything design-related where spacing is ultra-important, I'll draw out the whole design in pencil (usually after doing a few drafts/sketches to cement the layout on a newsprint pad) and then ink it.
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline KayleenO

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »
I always write on paper with guidelines underneath w/ lightpad...unless i'm writing on black paper !

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
If I'm working on client envelopes I use a light pad with guidelines underneath. If the envelopes are opaque I use a laser level for guidelines. The only things I ever pencil are large bodies of text, like vows. For practice I never use guidelines of any kind, just kinda blow with the wind.

Offline chantellehoffmann

• View Profile
    • Bespoke Strokes Calligraphy
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 05:31:22 AM »
I'm pretty similar to Elsa - light pad with guidelines for envelopes or any piece up to 11"x17."  Anything larger than that or too opaque for the light board, I use the Ames Lettering guide to pencil in guidelines. I rarely ever pencil in my letters before inking over them.   
Chantelle Hoffmann
Instagram: @bespokestrokes Web:BespokeStrokes.com Facebook: FB