Author Topic: I got Palmer's signature!  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Entropy

• View Profile
    • Instagram
I got Palmer's signature!
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
One of the antique dealers I know contacted me about this and more or less sold it to me for shipping costs (I suspect this is her version of a Christmas present, I've given them a decent amount of business over the years, especially these last couple months). I wish I'd been able to meet Frances... he was definitely pretty advanced with a pen.

http://imgur.com/a/Uj03X

Besides the logos the rest of it looks penned.

Either way, I'm getting these framed and put in my studio.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: I got Palmer's signature!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »
What a treasure!!! Thanks for sharing.  :D
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
How cool! That is very exciting, I'm sure.
Monica

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
Nice!

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:24:35 PM »
This is so beautiful.  Lovely gift.
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I love these certificates and I've seen a bunch of different versions out there. 

Here's my Grandmother's from 1915. I love how Palmer's signature is perfect Palmer style.

And isn't it funny that nothing on that certificate except his signature is written in Palmer style? They understood that it was only for rapid business writing, and not anything decorative.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:56:01 PM by AAAndrew »
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:25:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I love these certificates and I've seen a bunch of different versions out there. 

Here's my Grandmother's from 1915. I love how Palmer's signature is perfect Palmer style.

And isn't it funny that nothing on that certificate except his signature is written in Palmer style? They understood that it was only for rapid business writing, and not anything decorative.

Very interesting point. I don't think I would have noticed that myself.
Monica

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 06:45:57 AM »
Okay, that is COOL! How does one go about becoming best buddies with an antique dealer!?  :P ;D
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Entropy

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
Hey Andrew,

Long story short it's tied in with how I ended up with so many nibs- basically I started calling around places where I figured I would be able to find vintage and antique pen stuff that wasn't going to be price gouged but well taken care of. I had a lot of clients from my decade in sales and one of them ended up introducing me to a gentleman who had run a pawn shop of sorts (he dabbled in everything- estate sales, storage lockers, auctions, etc.) and two of his sons went into the family business so to speak- starting their own operations or branches of the same operation in different states. They had tons of nibs, almost all unsorted, which I bought by weight- some bags were winners, some went almost entirely into the trash (rust/damage) but in the end I ended up with tons of various Hunt nibs and, since then, whenever they go through their storage and find nibs- they let me know. After buying out their unsorted nibs- tons of Hunt, Speedball, Esterbrooks, Eagles, and random weird ones I've never heard of before or since I got a pretty good feel of what I liked and what worked for what- though I still have tons of science to do on unknown/untested nibs.

They still have tons of nibs, and I've sort of become their go to guy in terms of nibs. When they find some (they have a massive amount of storage that doesn't seem to be super cataloged) they give me a call or email and I buy it if it's something I want or am curious enough about.  If it's something I want I buy it- if not I look up whatever information I can so they can price and sell it. I think this relationship is why they've generally sold me stuff at non gougey prices- especially some of the more sought after nibs (though admittedly they've yet to come across a box of principalities or anything, at least insofar as I'm aware- and hell, I wouldn't even blame them to take it to the open market since people are apparently willing to pay $25+ per nib of those things- I would never use nibs I paid more than $4 apiece for anyway).

Anyway, I ended up spending much more than I thought I ever would buying nibs and old pen stuff from them but in my experience, it almost always works out for the better to take opportunities like this when they come up. They figured correctly that these certificates have less monetary value than sentimental - and apparently Mrs. McMahon's great grandaughter had these as part of her estate lot (she passed away a couple months ago). I assume her family did get a chance to look at everything and passed on keeping them (which, as a history guy and pen enthusiast) confuses the hell out of me- but people put different values on different things I guess. Anyway, that's how I ended up with them (as well as 3 other of Frances McMahon's certificates from her college and printing school.  They're not perfect, having been kept in non ideal conditions for years. Either way, I think they're beautiful and I got them framed and up around my desk as a reminder of what is possible and as inspiration for achievement in the written arts/crafts. I think my idea is that I'd like to feel like I'd someday have the skill to be worthy of having earned one of these had I been born a century ago.