Author Topic: Zebra G Help  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Zebra G Help
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
Hey everyone!  So my brand new Zebra G nib arrived today and I'm having some problems.  So after, dousing it in hydrogen peroxide and soap (Followed by rinsing it off)  the ink still pools at the end of the nib.  When I do get it to write, it's an absolute dream.  The zebra paired with walnut ink is so satisfying to write with!  Would love any tips, thanks! 

Offline kathleenprumo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Sincerely Designed
Re: Zebra G Help
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
Sounds like maybe you haven't entirely gotten the manufacturer's coating off, yet? There's lots of ways to try to fix that! Maybe try stabbing it with a potato, passing it through a flame, using Windex, or using toothpaste :) Also, be sure to not handle it with your fingers. The oils on your hands will transfer to the nib and your ink will resist the oily areas.

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »
Hi Jonathan,  usually for the Zebra I just prepare by putting the nib in my mouth for a moment.  I have not had the problems you mention.  Another option that works sometimes is to coat nib in (liquid) gum arabic.  Hope this helps. 

Cheers, Michael

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:52:25 PM »
I wipe my nibs with a tissue dampened with rubbing alcohol. 
Important, the inert ingredient in the rubbing alcohol should be WATER, not misc "stuff" that could be contaminating the nib rather than cleaning it.
Gary

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 11:00:55 PM »
Zebra G withstands the flame prep method well. Just pass thru a flame briefly for like 1 second or less. Do that 2 times or so.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:17:28 AM »
Hi Jonathan,
I have always prepared nibs the way Michael suggested.  Just make sure that you hold the nib with a tissue or cloth as you insert it into the holder.

Another thing that I found working for stubborn nibs is to fit it into the holder.  Dip it in the ink and let the ink dry off on the nib (Couple of seconds)
Wet a piece of tissue or cloth, you use to clean nibs, with saliva and rub the ink off.  This has always worked for me, specially if I use Iron gall ink. 

Hope that helps.
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 09:01:39 AM »
Johnathan, the Nikko and Zebra G nibs are some of the easiest to get going so I'm thinking it's not your nib but either the ink being too thick or thin--or not meant for dip pens, or you're not getting ink on the nib up to, or past the eye--the hole and the little slits on the side of the nib.  What ink are you using?
Debbie

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »
Hi!  The ink I'm using is Walnut Ink Crystals from Paper and Ink Arts.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
That's pretty reliable ink, Johnathan so are you dipping up past the eye?  If you've tried that, maybe post a pic of your inked nib and we can figure it out from there.  OR--just thought of something.  If I recall, the instructions for the ink ask you to give it 30 minutes or more for the crystals to fully dissolve, then stir/mix well.  You did that? 
Debbie

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »
I sure did!  There are definitely no clumps in the ink.  When I dip past the eye, the ink kind of 'disperses' and then pools.  Maybe I'll try the toothpaste method next.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »
One last thought, Johnathan.  Do you have more than the 1 Zebra G?  Can you simply start over with another nib? 
Debbie

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Unfortunately I don't. :(  Although, I did purchase the Nikko G, Pumpkin, and a Gillott at the same time so I have those to practice with!  Thanks for all your help! 

Offline Viktor Petrov

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
I bought a few Zebra G nibs last week, and was faced with the same problem: a coating that does not want to wear off.
I tried to use soap, tooth powder, acetone, saliva. Nothing helped.
In the end I got angry and decided to resort to drastic measures: pure alcohol, fire, and after that - baking soda. After this ink were distributed uniformly over the surface and no longer blots. Hooray!