Author Topic: Hello from Melbourne, Australia!  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Veracy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Melbourne, Australia!
« on: January 11, 2016, 06:09:59 AM »
Hello from Melbourne, Australia! I'm a full-time mum to a 9 month old baby and have just started to take up calligraphy as a way to re-connect with my desire to create beautiful things. Have always loved to doodle, draw, create art as a child and teen but left that part of my life out for many years as I embarked on a career in law only to find that the desire to create never really goes away! Now that I am in a different stage in life it's the perfect time to start learning a new skill and found that this forum is an extraordinary resource! Thanks very much for all the work and time put in to create those wonderful tutorials and practice sheets!

Offline Talia

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Melbourne, Australia!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »
Hello! I'm from VIC too!  :) I have a 1yo (who doesn't like sleep hence the late reply). Always nice to meet other calligraphy lovers!
Talia

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
Huh, I'm doing a school project on Australia and need to bring in a food that's native to the country.  Any suggestions?  It'd be great to hear it from someone who lives there. :)  Anyways, welcome to the forum! 

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
Huh, I'm doing a school project on Australia and need to bring in a food that's native to the country.  Any suggestions?  It'd be great to hear it from someone who lives there. :)  Anyways, welcome to the forum!
Lamingtons.
Yummy dessert.
Google it.
My daughter lived in Sydney for a couple years and I had them when I visited.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:02:10 PM »
Hi Veracy! Welcome! I'm in Melbourne too :)

Jonathon: witchetty grubs! 

Offline Veracy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:39:38 PM »
Talia: Hi! Nice to meet you too. My 9 month old has been waking very frequently at night due to recent viral fever and now teething  :-\  so I feel your pain!

Jonathon: If you can't get lamingtons or witchetty grubs where you live, you could make Anzac biscuits or a pavlova! If you're looking for something savoury, we eat Vegemite on toast and we love BBQs here!

Moya: I have come across your website before...love your work!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:41:23 AM »
Aw thank you! If you go back far enough on this forum you find all my anxious nervous posts about setting it up, haha.  I've been pretty successful so far, and it's been a wonderful ride, with a lot of Forum friends' help and encouragement.  This is such a great place.

We have a Calligraphy Society here in Melbourne (I'm Editor at the moment) - you should definitely pop into workshops if you get a chance. There's so much to learn.

Offline Veracy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 05:45:22 AM »
Aw thank you! If you go back far enough on this forum you find all my anxious nervous posts about setting it up, haha.  I've been pretty successful so far, and it's been a wonderful ride, with a lot of Forum friends' help and encouragement.  This is such a great place.

We have a Calligraphy Society here in Melbourne (I'm Editor at the moment) - you should definitely pop into workshops if you get a chance. There's so much to learn.

You're a great inspiration to a newbie like me! We all have to start somewhere don't we.

I would definitely love to attend one of the worshops when the opportunity permits so I will be keeping an eye out on the Society's calendar. Probably when my little one is a bit older and I can get someone to babysit.