Author Topic: Photosynthesis  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Photosynthesis
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
I'm writing a science word a day for 365 days.  Photosynthesis is 2nd of 365.  Here, I experimented using gouache as ink on water-color paper.  I need to spend more time practicing this technique so that my writing has a consistent degree of transparency. I had difficulty loading my nib with a paint brush.  The letters would start looking weak and more transparent, so then I would attempt to load my nib and end up with way too much.  But, if I loaded less, I would have to reload between every two or three letters.

In the background you can see the cover of one of my Christmas presents, Foundations of Calligraphy by Sheila Waters. ;D
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Photosynthesis
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »
Beautiful, I love the green! To a degree, I also like the variation of transparency, but I entirely understand your desire for consistency.  I had it down pat with gouache and broad edge lettering maybe 6 or 7 years ago, after much struggle, but then ditched all that for strictly pointed pen (baby, come back!).  I at least remember dipping the pen in my little jar of gouache, having no patience to go through a stack of 100+ envelopes loading my nib with a paint brush. So, it really came down to having that precise gouache/water/gum arabic ratio and scraping off excess on the jar- obviously an impractical method for smaller projects that don't require a full mixture.  Anyway, I am sure you'll get the hang of it, especially with your science project!

This is really inspiring me to get my broad edge nibs out today, and I am also looking forward to learning some science! ;)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:41:29 PM »
I use gouache and I have zero patience for loading the nib using a brush.  Curiously I've had no problem just dipping, could it be the water ratio or the brand of gouache?  I don't add any GA to my gouache, just water (and not even distilled) and I get very good consistency.

Anyway, good luck with your 365-day project!   (I am ashamed to say I abandoned mine in 2015...)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
Beautiful, I love the green! To a degree, I also like the variation of transparency, but I entirely understand your desire for consistency.  I had it down pat with gouache and broad edge lettering maybe 6 or 7 years ago, after much struggle, but then ditched all that for strictly pointed pen (baby, come back!).  I at least remember dipping the pen in my little jar of gouache, having no patience to go through a stack of 100+ envelopes loading my nib with a paint brush. So, it really came down to having that precise gouache/water/gum arabic ratio and scraping off excess on the jar- obviously an impractical method for smaller projects that don't require a full mixture.  Anyway, I am sure you'll get the hang of it, especially with your science project!

This is really inspiring me to get my broad edge nibs out today, and I am also looking forward to learning some science! ;)

I do like seeing some variation in transparency, but some of the letters ended up blobby which was annoying.

Have fun with your broad edge nibs!
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds loading my nib with a brush annoying.  I keep seeing people talking about it on blogs or forums as though it was no big deal and I'm like, "How can you do that when writing hundreds of envelopes?!"

I am using pretty cheap gouache, so that may be part of my problem (just something from Michaels), but I kinda don't want to spend a lot on gouache that I'm just playing around with.

Instagram

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
I use gouache and I have zero patience for loading the nib using a brush.  Curiously I've had no problem just dipping, could it be the water ratio or the brand of gouache?  I don't add any GA to my gouache, just water (and not even distilled) and I get very good consistency.

Anyway, good luck with your 365-day project!   (I am ashamed to say I abandoned mine in 2015...)

I think the GA is most important for pointed pen, rather than broad nib? In any event, I noticed that when I used it the gouache dried less smeary (i.e., I could erase the lines without smudging).
Clara

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 04:30:19 PM »
I am using pretty cheap gouache, so that may be part of my problem

I definitely get mixed results, broad or pointed, with various brands - like the Plakkaatverf has great metallics, but the consistency of the matte colors are not very suitable for calligraphic use (from my experience).  But, then Winsor & Newton comes along and... bliss.  However, I do know that Noah Wilkins likes the gouache from Michaels for pointed pen, but I am not sure of the brand he uses (do they carry more than one?  Seems unlikely!).  I know that it is a bit hard to swallow $10 tubes just for play!

I think the GA is most important for pointed pen, rather than broad nib? In any event, I noticed that when I used it the gouache dried less smeary (i.e., I could erase the lines without smudging).

I agree with that, but I still used GA with broad nibs because the gouache still had a tendency to smudge just a bit on the envelope on top of them, so I'd get paranoid about how fare through the mail.  They go through so much!  I like to "over insure." ;)

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:07:48 PM »
Elizabeth, I love the variation in transparencies but I think you might try adding a tiny bit of white for making the color consistent.  Have you tried Holbein acrylic gouache/artists acrylic polymer?  Just add water and remember to stir when it's been still for a long time.  It's really smooth and the colors are fantastic.   
Debbie

Offline Jonathan C.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
My take on it! (Letters started to squish towards end of page!  I was running out of space:P)