Author Topic: Need help in purchasing a carrot holder!  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Need help in purchasing a carrot holder!
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Hello, everyone! I've recently rekindled my love for calligraphy after a horrible falling out due to school life (ugh) and I'm back to the beginning! Unforunately, the speedball plastic oblique holder is no longer working for me. (I suppose it was never really a good option to begin with, after reading through some blog posts about why a customized holder is so much better). I have finally decided to get myself a prettier, more comfortable holder. I am thinking of purchasing a carrot holder, in particular, because not only do I want to loosen my grip, but also because my fingers fatigue very fast (mom did say arthritis runs in the family :( ) I've been practicing a more relaxed grip by holding a pencil in my non-dominant hand, and hoorah hoorah, it's working, but the pain the plastic holder brings me is still there.

Now, my real question is, just how do I know which grip diameter is suitable for me? On websites, I've seen carrot holders with grips that range from 13 mm to 16 mm, and not having touched them for myself, I'm not really sure which would be a good diameter for my hand.

Appreciate the help! :)

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Need help in purchasing a carrot holder!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
I think it's a question that lots of people have, and there is really only one way of finding the answer, and that's to take some time with each size and see how you feel about it.  I'd suggest that you take a pen or pencil and wrap something like electrical tape around it to see what width you prefer.  Take some time to try each size, as something which feels very strange at first can end up being the most comfortable over a long period of time.  Also take a look at ergonomic holders - I've been having a go at making a few recently and I must admit that, despite them taking a little bit of getting used to, I find them much more comfortable than 'ordinary' holders.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
There has been some research into improved pen designs for arthritis sufferers, which resulted in a few rather interesting writing instruments like the Jumbo Pen (shown there next to a pitiful little Montblanc 149), and the Tombow Egg.  Those pens were meant for people with really crippling joint pain (with, I strongly suspect, half an eye on the stationery addict market), but the idea that oversized pens are more comfortable has now been accepted as a truism.  I'm wholly unconvinced.  By all means get a prettier holder, but the main thing is to cultivate a grip which doesn't cause pain.  That way you'll be okay when you use a pencil, too.  ;)

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
What is a carrot holder?!?  I have a vision Bugs Bunny saying "Eh, what's up Doc?" and writing with a pen holder carved from a carrot.

I've got osteoarthritis in my knuckles; a larger pen holder is not good for me at all.  I think it might vary with each person. 

My situation varies from month to month; for awhile my thumb was sensitive and I could not hold the pen the way I had learned in Spencerian class.  Each time I had to use pressure to create a shade, it hurt too much.  I got a tiny, clever plastic splint from the occupational therapist that protected the joint and this helped.  The thumb is okay now, but other fingers are causing troubles. 

I hold the pen in whatever way prevents pain and allows me to write.  I don't worry about the 'right' way to hold the pen, because the 'right' way can cause me to not write at all. 

The good thing about arthritis is that it forces me to keep my grip on the pen very light.

Ev

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
Did anyone watch Zootopia?
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
I posted a photo of my new carrot penholder on instagram, and used a hashtag #carrotpen - images like that one were everywhere! LOL

Here's my carrot pen - pink & red marble, created by Ashley Bush @ash_bush on IG.

This is my first carrot pen and I've only had it a few days, so I don't have much experience with them, but I am really liking it. It's very comfortable in my hands. I've noticed that I have lightened my grip and don't get hand fatigue like I had been experiencing with a slimmer pen. So far, so good.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:00:19 PM by Estrella's Calligraphy »

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 05:06:18 AM »
Did you see recently the Instagram account of Barbara Calzolari? She posted some photos writing with an actual carrot!  ;D
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »
@Inked botanicals yes it was so funny. That's what I thought of as soon as the question was ask. She also put a dinky cup into an apple. Called it Vegan or something like that.

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »
Hello, everyone! Thanks for the inputs! Very amused by each one's perception of what a carrot holder is :))) Anyway, I have finally purchased mine, but it's still in the process of being shipped :)  I've also been doing running ovals to lighten my grip. I've tried writing with my sucky holder again, just to test if my grip has become lighter and if the pain is still there, and voila! I actually do feel the difference! Most of my power is now coming from my forearm, using my elbow as some sort of pivot, although I do still get a bit of strength from my index finger--a slight push during the downstroke to make the swells thicker. I can't wait to receive my new holder though ;;V;;

p.s. i know a lot of people dislike running ovals but they're really really fun :((((( they're like my favorite drills now huhu i do them everywhere i go, and use different colored pens so that drill time won't be boring ;;V;;

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
I posed a photo of my new carrot penholder on instagram, and used a hashtag #carrotpen - images like that one were everywhere! LOL

Here's my carrot pen - pink & red marble, created by Ashley Bush @ash_bush on IG.

This is my first carrot pen and I've only had it a few days, so I don't have much experience with them, but I am really liking it. It's very comfortable in my hands. I've noticed that I have lightened my grip and don't get hand fatigue like I had been experiencing with a slimmer pen. So far, so good.

ugh that is so pretty! super love Ashley's signature marbling! i stumbled upon the Bush holders too, but I can't afford one yet haha (that plus international shipping :( ) i found a local maker who's just starting out, although she already has a roster of clients who are very happy with their holders, so i don't think i was wrong in purchasing a holder from her :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:42:36 AM by Camille »