Author Topic: The most important lesson I've learned  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
The most important lesson I've learned
« on: June 10, 2016, 11:54:45 AM »
Hello, everyone! Nothing fancy here: no flatlays (i have to up my photography game if I'm opening an IG account soon!), no natural lighting (thank you, years of Photoshop!), no godly letterforms or flourishes (to do: bootcamp! and my god, my h and my p's are horrid!  :o), and no capitals (gotta learn them soon!) but I just wanted to share the most important lesson I learned in university.

I'll be graduating this June 25, 2016, with a Bachelor's degree on Geology (so near to calligraphy right HAHAHA). And graduation has never felt more real especially since my grades are finally complete!

Now time for some #realtalk / #serioustalk

Just a little background on my university: the University of the Philippines is my country's only state university. A student in my university (such as myself haha) is called an "Iskolar ng Bayan" which translates to "A scholar of the state" because we are supposedly government funded (but the political environment here in the Philippines has made it so that even the state university is lacking in facilities, and the students are obliged to pay hefty tuition fees--but that's another story). I think what makes my university unique is that we are known for nurturing activists (and rightfully so, given the socio-political issues my country faces) and encouraging discourse among students. It is in this kind of environment that I experienced my political awakening and became more conscious of the plight of the marginalized in my country.

During my four year stay in the university, I have always been reminded that my education is not just for myself--that it is for the people. And having opened my eyes to the reality that I can do something about it, I realized that the most important lesson I learned was not the Earth's age (which is 4.6 billion years old, btw!), or when and where the next earthquake will occur (that's not something we can predict, actually), or how rocks taste like (yes, we actually do lick rocks--but just occasionally!!)--but rather: to serve the people!

Thank you for reading such a long post! :) I just have so many feels right now since graduation is nearing!  :'(

Materials:
nib: Brause 66ef
ink: Noodler's Ink mixed with pearl pigments (my university's official color is Maroon. This is the closest I could find!) for that shiny shimmery splendour
paper: rhodia grid pad

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: The most important lesson I've learned
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
Congrats on your graduation!! Seems that University has been good for you, you learned real things! (Also, licking rocks is kind of important...  ;D)
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:05 PM »
Congrats on your graduation!! Seems that University has been good for you, you learned real things! (Also, licking rocks is kind of important...  ;D)

Aww, thank you! Can't wait to finally march ;;A;; Even though the learnings were insightful, the workload totally sucked the life out of me. So although I'm happy with everything that I've learned (and will continue to learn!), I'm also glad that that I can finally be free from those sleepless nights, haha!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
Congratulations on you graduation Os - and having mastered the minuscules so well. That is a nicely written script.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »
Congratulations!  And I like how that ink turned out... and especially those p's.

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, Bianca and Salman!

I still have a long way to go and I am just starting to get used to having no slanted guidelines!

And yes, I love how the color turned out as well! It's unevenly mixed, and it shows, but it's interesting how some parts are more ruby and some parts are more shimmer! I've been currently obsessed with mixing colored ink and pearl pigments lately. So far though, this sparkling ruby color is my favorite! Pilot's Iroshizuku ink in Shin-kai mixed with pearl is a close second!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »
I still have a long way to go and I am just starting to get used to having no slanted guidelines!

You've made a good start.

After 60 years of writing Copperplate, I still use slanted guidelines. I don't see any virtue in making it more difficult than it has to be.  ;D

Also, I don't see the point of trying to write a sloping script on a square grid!

Ken
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:32:58 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »
Everything is wonderful! That you are graduating, that you are excited and determined about your role and future contributions, your calligraphy, the color, everything!

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 10:56:19 PM »

You've made a good start.

After 60 years of writing Copperplate, I still use slanted guidelines. I don't see any virtue in making it more difficult than it has to be.  ;D

Also, I don't see the point of trying to write a sloping script on a square grid!

Ken

Thanks, Ken!

I use the grid for the x-height (People say that Rhodia's dot pad is great, too, but unfortunately, it was unavailable at the bookstore that time), and usually make the slanted guides myself because Rhodia isn't very translucent.

Anyway, wow 60 years is a long time! I've only been writing for almost a year, and am still trying to develop good practice habits :)) I hope I still get to continue doing this even after I get a job in my field, though!

Everything is wonderful! That you are graduating, that you are excited and determined about your role and future contributions, your calligraphy, the color, everything!

Thank you, Tiffany! I'm actually very scared about the future! To be honest, my biggest fear right now is what if I fall for the dark side (i.e. a dog of this capitalist world) and end up doing the exact opposite of serving the people :(

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
This looks great! And yes, school teaches a world of life lessons beyond the subject matter. It is great to see you are handling your education maturely. And you are right, what is the point of going to school, if not to apply it to daily life to better the world in some way? Yes, we need to make money to live, but to do so in a way that is fulfilling and advances humanity is the ultimate dream. We all have a role to play, no matter how small, in helping to make the world go round. The hardest part is usually overcoming ourselves.
Star

Offline zeyette

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • IG Acct
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »
Congratulations to you! Go and serve Os. Mabuhay!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
People say that Rhodia's dot pad is great ...

For what it's worth, I've found dotted paper next to useless.  On the other hand plain Rhodia 80gsm seems translucent enough for use with a guidesheet to me.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
We use blank Rhodia pads in my Copperplate workshop and they work fine with the guidesheet under the paper.

I highly recommend printing the guidelines on the practice paper though. It makes a big difference in hitting the waist and base lines consistently IMO.

- Salman
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:33:47 PM by SMK »
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 01:08:10 AM »

I highly recommend printing the guidelines on the practice paper though. It makes a big difference in hitting the waist and base lines consistently IMO.

- Salman

Oh, I see! That sounds great! I'll keep that in mind the next time I go to a bookstore. My current favorite (white) paper right now is Doc Gail's Calligrapads! But I've already run out of the white pads, so I used my Rhodia. Anyway, yes, I agree, it's difficult to follow the guidesheets if they are just underneath the paper. I keep missing the waist and base lines!  :P Will definitely print guidelines on blank Rhodia as soon as a I get a pad!

Thanks Salman and Andy!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
Congratulations!!!! I found your post so fascinating. Thank you for sharing with us. And beautiful calligraphy - both the lettering and the message.  :-*
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook