Author Topic: Dropping membership  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
Re: Dropping membership
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »
Can't get much more embarrassing than the 'work' I posted here.
-- Alexander --

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »
You've clearly not seen any of my scribblings.  ;)

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »
You've clearly not seen my first post here. :)
-- Alexander --

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 06:12:14 PM »
That sounded like a challenge!  So I went and looked and I have to say that first photograph shows a level of skill so far above my own that it would be hard to describe. And I am not joking.  :-[

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
So I also went and looked and see that you already know what it is like to post your work in the Kind Critique section.

Out of interest, are you currently working on a script?
-- Alexander --

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »
Those examples I posted back a while were poor, and I have gotten a lot worse since then alas.

Working on a script? Not really. At this time I am more interested in an actual writing script rather than a drawn script.  What I mean is that I couldn't use something like copperplate as a regular hand because it is too time consuming.   Perhaps I should go for something like Spencerian style or similar?  I'm not very good at being systematic in my studying though.

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »
You've probably seen me write this before, but Business Penmanship is IMO/IME a fantastic script to take on.

It's elegant, practical, you can do it with any implement that writes under its own weight, and its emphasis on technique makes it an ideal vehicle for developing a number of general writing skills that tranfer quite well to other scripts.

You may like this guide that Marcus Carlini recently published on BP.

https://media.wix.com/ugd/68805b_67678cb2c8544d528ada2e45eac97365.pdf
-- Alexander --

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:09 AM »
Many people find it more enjoyable to start with their regular penmanship rather than an exemplar. By adjusting one letter at a time, they can morph their own penmanship into something that is both enjoyable to write and pleasing to the eye.

You can start by looking at the ascenders and descenders and choosing a proportion that pleases your eye. Maybe you just need to shorten them, or lengthen them and make them consistent.
Then you can look at other letters that are similar and see where you have inconsistencies - and adjust them. For example, you might have inconsistent widths in the n and m. Slow down and make them consistent.
With a letter like r - it does not really compare to any other letter, so look at it and see if you are making a nice shape that compliments the others. Often times the r loses the subtle detail in the ear and and little jog at the top.
As you refine each letter, keep an eye on the spacing and consistency of the slant.
Slow down.
Find a rhythm that feels good.
Spencerian is a nice running hand that can be a lot of fun, but if none of your current penmanship is even remotely like those shapes, you will be trying to force all kinds of new elements onto an activity that is already imprinted on your memory.
It is a lot easier to refine your current penmanship.
Trust me, I have coached any number of people who were frustrated with calligraphy and had better results when they just worked on their penmanship.
If you have time to send me a scan or photo of your current penmanship, I would be happy to show you where I think you could start with some refinement that might be enjoyable. Just send it in a private message. Or directly to jmwilson411 (at) yahoo -dot- com

I've noted your comments about giving up - and it kept going through my head --well, its not like he's going to stop writing.
Once your eye has been drawn to pretty penmanship you can never un-see what you have seen. So, assuming you will still be writing from time to time, it is entirely possible that you can refine your penmanship so that whatever you write, with whatever kind of pen or pencil - will please your eye..

The only students I have found who were not able to refine their penmanship were people who had medical conditions that caused shakiness and people who were in their 80s and had never done anything that required fine motor skills. Although, I think they could have changed their penmanship if it had been something that interested them. As they were not getting very good results, we switched to making flowery patterns and designs which got some very nice results - faster.

If there are other frustrated people who want to work on their penmanship, I would be willing to help. Although, I will be out of town Aug 18 through Sept 10 and will not be able to post much during that time. If someone is willing to post to the forum, it could be a good demonstration for others to see how the process works.

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »
This is probably closest to my every day hand

Although I do also write like this:

And occasionally like this:

All of which are ragged, unlovely and - so far - irremediable.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:26 PM »
No, No, no, there is greatness in your hand. Push forward.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
There is a lot to work with here.
Thank you for posting the three examples.
I have appointments today - but will print off copies, make notes, and re-post tomorrow.

IMHO - your regular penmanship is very nice and the examples using dip pens and ink show a lot of promise. Getting comfortable with a new tool takes time. I hope you do not give up just yet.

In the top example -  do you know what happened between *lording* and *sky*?
Did you sharpen the pencil
or rotate it so that the lead was in a position that gave you a sharper point
or were you unaware of what happened.

I have found a mechanical pencil that automatically rotates the lead so that you never get a blunt edge. It's a wonderful new tool....

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 05:36:40 PM »
It was likely that I turned the pencil when lifting it.  The same can be seen between 'old' and 'man'.  Not an intentional thing though.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »
I just did a lengthy post with suggestions on the penciled sample - but my scan was too big to post here - so all my comments and suggestions may be found at a blog I started called
Cursive Club.
https://cursiveclub.blogspot.com/

I started it in 2013 - and it has been dormant ever since.....so maybe this will be a fun way to get it going.

All my time goes into the regular blog that has one new envelope idea Every.Single.Day
http://pushingtheenvelopes.blogspot.com/  - for anyone new to the forum - who does not know about it and has an interest in mail art.

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
Thanks Jean.  I have had a cursory look at it before going to work.  Lots of things to consider by the looks of it.  I don't have any preference regarding words or letters per se,  though the arrangement of words is important to me, which is why I used part of that poem.  For those unfamiliar with such things, it is an unfinished poem by Dylan Thomas reflecting on the passing of his father. I don't think I've ever read a more heartfelt and poignant personal poem as this one.  There is a great clip that can be found on YouTube with Richard Burton reading.

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:30 AM »
Just to add a small update.  I am super busy right now: big research projects, assignments and so on.  Anyway, when I get a chance to do another practice and sample I will post it over in the "Kind Critique" area in the first instance, and Jean, if you wish, you may copy it over to the blog at your convenience.  It's not going to be too regular though until the semester ends.

Edit: samples may be in pencil more times than not. I don't carry my dip pens around with me.