Author Topic: A3 Light Pad  (Read 7517 times)

Offline Ernie Young

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
A3 Light Pad
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »
I am just about to begin learning Copperplate, so bought Eleanor Winters "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy", which is recommended by so many on this site. I also wanted to get a light box or pad, so started doing a lot of research. The newer LED pads seem to be the best value at this time, and with the evolution of LED back-lit monitors and TVs, I feel the technology should be fairly sound.

Most of them seem to be made by the same company in China, but sold under different names. Most are listed in millimeters and sometimes inches, but the titles usually include the paper size like A4, A3, or even A2.

After looking at the actual dimensions of the pads, I found that the A4 and A3 pads could handle an A4 or A3 sheet of paper respectively, but the A2 size tablets were actually quite a bit smaller than an A2 sheet. I wanted a larger pad so started looking at the A3 pads. I also wanted to spend as little as possible, so found one that I think is a very good value. I ordered the HomCom 19" LED pad, which is the A3 model. I haven't received it yet, so can't at this time provide a review, but at $49.50 plus $8 shipping it seems to be nice.

Thanks,
Ernie Young
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:28:39 AM by Ernie Young »
Ernie Young

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
Re: A3 Light Pad
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
Can't wait For your feedaback once received... IT looks really great
Thanks for sharing

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:04:13 PM »
I got a similar one... Huion LS4 I believe. Such a great light pad at a great price on Amazon!
Have fun!!!

Offline Ernie Young

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »
Hi Estrella,

I was most interested in buying a Huion, because I have a Huion H610 10" x 6" Drawing Tablet. Even when I was researching the drawing tablets, I contacted the support personnel about a Turcom pad that looked just like theirs. I was told that Huion makes the tablet and was selling them to Turcom to resell. Considering what I was told, and after looking at so many of the light pads, I noticed that many of them might be made by the same manufacturer.

All of this is just conjecture, but I think this pad at $49.50 + $8 shipping, is a better way to go than paying $94.99 for the Huion 23.5 Inch - A3. This is especially true considering they look the same. By the way, Turcom is also selling light pads.  ::)

One thing I forgot to mention, was that the larger light pads, like this one, have a power cable, and no USB port. The smaller A4 pads can be connected to a USB port for power, or one can buy an inexpensive adapter that lets you use the USB cord to connect to the AC for power. There isn't enough current available from a USB port to power the larger pads.

Thanks,
Ernie Young
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:29:56 AM by Ernie Young »
Ernie Young

Offline Ernie Young

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »
Hi Chiarag,

I received the light pad today, and I must say I am really impressed. It looks identical to the photos of the Huion 23.5 Inch A3 pad, and operates as described in that Amazon listing. There are a lot of reviews and answered questions for the Huion, in comparison to the listing for the HomCom 19" LED pad, so you can find out more by reading those posts.

The dimensions in inches for the active lit area are 17 1/4" (W) x 12 5/8" (H), and in centimeters are 43.8 cm (W) x 32 cm (H). The rulings on the left and top of the screen are in centimeters, and are 1/4" wide, so don't take up much of the active area. The thickness is only 1/4" (6 cm) and the four feet are only 1/8" (3 cm), so it is quite comfortable to use. The power cord is only 58" long, so one needs to be close to an outlet, or use an extension cord. To turn it on you just touch the power switch in the upper left, and to turn it off you do the same. I like how it slowly dims when turned off instead of suddenly turning off. If you hold the power button it will slowly increase in brightness to the max, and if you lift your finger and hold it again it will slowly decrease in brightness to what is very dim. When you decide on the brightness you want, it will remember that setting, so the next time you turn it on there is no adjustment needed.

I was able to easily see through two sheets of Schoellershammer No. 4 Airbrush Paper, which is a heavy 250 gsm paper. Even after reducing the light level I could still see through them! For me the brightness is quite comforting, and not harsh at all. I think it will be nice to also use it with only one sheet of paper, as the contrast between the paper and the marks is so much greater. I am using it in a well lit room, and it is still quite bright.

This was a very good buy!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:27:40 PM by Ernie Young »
Ernie Young

Offline Ernie Young

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
I noticed that the seller of the HomCom 19" LED pad, which is the A3 model I purchased, is now selling it for $42.50 + $8 shipping!   :)
Ernie Young

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:08:48 AM »
Hi Chiarag,

I received the light pad today, and I must say I am really impressed. It looks identical to the photos of the Huion 23.5 Inch A3 pad, and operates as described in that Amazon listing. There are a lot of reviews and answered questions for the Huion, in comparison to the listing for the HomCom 19" LED pad, so you can find out more by reading those posts.

The dimensions in inches for the active lit area are 17 1/4" (W) x 12 5/8" (H), and in centimeters are 43.8 cm (W) x 32 cm (H). The rulings on the left and top of the screen are in centimeters, and are 1/4" wide, so don't take up much of the active area. The thickness is only 1/4" (6 cm) and the four feet are only 1/8" (3 cm), so it is quite comfortable to use. The power cord is only 58" long, so one needs to be close to an outlet, or use an extension cord. To turn it on you just touch the power switch in the upper left, and to turn it off you do the same. I like how it slowly dims when turned off instead of suddenly turning off. If you hold the power button it will slowly increase in brightness to the max, and if you lift your finger and hold it again it will slowly decrease in brightness to what is very dim. When you decide on the brightness you want, it will remember that setting, so the next time you turn it on there is no adjustment needed.

I was able to easily see through two sheets of Schoellershammer No. 4 Airbrush Paper, which is a heavy 250 gsm paper. Even after reducing the light level I could still see through them! For me the brightness is quite comforting, and not harsh at all. I think it will be nice to also use it with only one sheet of paper, as the contrast between the paper and the marks is so much greater. I am using it in a well lit room, and it is still quite bright.

This was a very good buy!

Thanks a lot! I would like to have one ASAP