Author Topic: cleaning the nibs  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
Re: cleaning the nibs
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »
Chris Chris Chris. I'm thinking about the endearing name my grandma used to call me about you. Hehe
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
I keep a pot of clean water and just dip the nib in it every few words and wipe off with a Viva paper towel (it doesn't leave fibers). Sometimes if I accidentally touch the nib, I swirl it in rubbing alcohol to clean. I stopped using windex because I didn't like the slimy texture it leaves on my paper towels!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:29:56 PM »
I use a toothbrush to clean my nibs after a writing session. No toothpaste, just running water and a little scrub. Haven't used any difficult inks that have caused any problems!

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 10:42:39 PM »
If I'm using acrylic ink, I will squirt a little windex into my water jar and then just dip the nib every few lines (and wipe it with a paper towel, usually the expensive ones that don't leave fibres ;) ).  Same if I'm using parallel pens that I'm dipping into the inks - it keeps them from clogging :)

Pointed nibs I'll water-dip and wipe on paper towel every so often.  If it's gouache, a little more frequently, because it can build up;  if it's walnut ink, much less frequently.

Windex is also magic at getting ink out of carpets, and clothes, if you've never tried ;)

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 11:35:40 PM »
Windex is Awesome!

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
Windex People!  Are you using the Windex brand?  I have better luck with  the cheapo stote brand that has old-fashioned ammonia in it.

Christopher-- how long is the sonic cleaner cycle?  Do you have a problem with rust forming?

My tip-  keep a moist sponge handy to wipe the fibers from the tip of the nib.  My first teacher mounted the little ink vials in a sponge so it keeps the vial stabile, catches drips, and gives you a place for a quick wipe.

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
No problems with rust forming. The cycle lasts from 60 seconds to a couple minutes, there's a switch to change time.
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
I do the same like Brad, except that I wipe it first with a cotton cloth, then dip in water, then wipe it dry with the cloth. So the water stays clean longer and I don't confuse it with the ink jar 😄! That is also how it was recommended to me from a teacher, if you do that every few strokes, normally no scrubbing or extra cleaning will be necessary … imho 😉. Broad nibs are different though, I hate cleaning those nasty reservoirs  :P! That's where an old toothbrush cones in handy …

So Estefa doing it the way you keep the water cleaner, is that what they mean when they say keep the water clean? Because my water is always black. I have started doing it like you. It keeps the water alot clearer.

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
@blotbot - I use the keep stuff too and works like a charm.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Hi Brad, I don't know if that is what they say … it was just what I find logical and what is also the technique shown to me by Barbara Calzolari during a workshop … I hope it works for you too :)!

Maybe they mean also to use fresh water after a day or so – because it attracts dust, and fibers etc., and they will end up on your nib and can ruin an upstroke!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram