Author Topic: Prelapsarian  (Read 812 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Prelapsarian
« on: May 26, 2022, 11:44:09 AM »
In the days before Google and ubiquitous internet access, the most often used book in our house was the 1550 page American Heritage Dictionary, to which I would refer when coming across a word I did not know and was unable to figure out the meaning of from context. Interestingly, this word was not in that dictionary (so I would have referred to an unabridged dictionary in the day). Now the meaning is obtained easily with a few keystrokes. It's context was in referring to the FBI prior to 2016. So, a little hole in my vocabulary was filled today. I'd wager a history buff or biblical scholar (of which I am neither) would know it on sight.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Prelapsarian
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 01:03:10 PM »
Oh that is fascinating. I learned a new word, too. And I’m trying to think of how it was used in context relating to the FBI prior to 2016.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 03:45:47 PM »
Here's how the word was used. It's in the second paragraph.
(as this is an opinion piece, feel free to edit or remove it from the thread at your discretion, @Erica McPhee  )

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 10:37:01 AM »
@AnasaziWrites  I’m glad you shared this! Context is everything. When I first looked up the word, the first definition that came up was, “of or related to the period before the fall of Adam and Eve.” I could not fathom how that would be applicable in relation the the FBI.  ;D But when I looked it up again under a different dictionary, I found the definition, “characteristic of or belonging to the time or state before the fall of humankind.”

Now seeing the article, it’s a brilliant use of the word. Jenkins is an absolute wordsmith in his selection of that word which allows the forgiveness of his use of “gallumphingly” in his third to last paragraph.  ;D To galumph is a verb meaning to move along heavily and clumsily. This intransitive verb (not having a direct object) has an intrinsic adverb (built into it) describing the kind of movement. Instead of saying, “he moved clumsily along” one could simply say, “he galumphed.”

IMO, Jenkins would have served his reader better by simply using heavily or clumsily. “The FBI intervened, clumsily, in the 2016 race…” which accurately captures what he is trying to convey. Even if we, the reader, embrace his use of the emerging adverb “gallumphingly” we shall still have to forgive his misspelling of the root ‘galumph.’ Haha!

I love this type of discourse as he efficiently blends expository and persuasive writing which, whether you agree with his opinion or not, powerfully conveys his stance. I also share your love for investigating word meaning as sometimes the definition of a word enriches an author’s words immensely. It might be strange, but it really tickles me when a word brilliantly conveys the intent. I guess that makes me a word-nerd. LOL!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram