Author Topic: Hello from North Dallas Texas area  (Read 643 times)

Offline Woody_melina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from North Dallas Texas area
« on: August 20, 2023, 11:20:36 PM »
I started learning modern calligraphy in May 2020 during lockdown. I've always like writing and the shutdown gave me the opportunity to finally learn it. I've been off and on with my practice since then. But now I'm back and learning Spencerian script from Younghae. I really want to stick with it and see where I can go with it. Thank you for having this amazing forum filled with an incredible community of artists.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from North Dallas Texas area
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 09:47:54 AM »
Hi there! Modern is a great way to get comfortable with the pen. Younghae is an excellent teacher so you are in good hands. Sticking with is probably the most important skill.  ;D Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 07:04:54 PM »
 Wowdy Howdy Hoooo  ;D

Welcome to the forum Woody Melina and you are in the right  place and we are all love to know about you and your calligraphy.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 11:06:52 PM »
Hi, fellow Texan! 😃. I always love it when a new Texan joins the the Forum!  I’m in the Panhandle (Amarillo, to be precise!!)  I have two “hands”, Copperplate & Flourished Italic. I tried to learn Spencerian, as I adore it!  I go to IAMPETH about every-other year. I’m going next year, since the conference will be in San Antone l (“San Antonio”, to non-native Texans!). I kept signing up for classes in Spencerian, taught by a famous Spencerian scribe. After multiple years of attending, she began to recognize me. She finally asked me why I was trying to learn Spencirian. I told her, “Because I love Spencerian.”  She said, “Well, it doesn’t love you back!  Just concentrate on Copperplate!  It loves you back!”  😃. So, I’ve given up on my little quest to learn Spencerian!  I just use Copperplate 90% of the time and Italic 10% of the time! 

Good luck on your quest!  😃

Janis

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 11:25:22 PM »
Oh my goodness @JanisTX  - that’s so sad! I would *never* say that to a student! Please don’t give up on Spencerian!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 09:32:13 AM »
Thank you, Erica!  I “hear” what you’re saying!  But she was right!  My hand 🤚 is “heavy”.  Spencerian requires a “light/delicate” touch!  I wish that I was like @Ken Fraser. - A brilliant calligrapher, with many “hands”!  But, I was born to script in Copperplate!  I’m trying to get better at just that. 😃.

I also “have Italic”. I have a pretty little “sample book”, with samples of my work.  I take that to meetings with the about-to-be brides & their moms. One of the samples is Finetech (sp.?) Brilliant Gold.  The brides see that, & it’s “game over”!  I haven’t been able to talk a bride into anything else for 3 years!!  I keep thinking that I’m going to pull that sample out of my sample book.  But, it’s beautiful (I agree with that!).  I’m going to keep plugging along with my meager attempts at “owning” Copperplate!  😃

I hope that you’re well & happy!