Author Topic: In the Copperplate Foundations course . . . practice drills  (Read 772 times)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
We are working on majuscules now.  Down to the last couple weeks of this course.

Yesterday I worked on the "A".  Thankfully I have Dr. Joe's publication.  I pulled it out and realized that I like his "A" and am pursuing that version.  Lots of red on my practice sheet.  I am needing to embrace the "red" as I call the self-critique.  Truthfully, I have a hate/love relationship with it.  I don't mind getting direction from someone else, but red marking myself is taking some getting used to.  I am realizing it is MY journey and I will need to woman up and get a grip, keep it moving.

As a journaler I am into stickers and now employ them in self-encouragement.  Most practice sessions before photographing my drills I give myself some type of positive affirmation sticker.  I know, I'm a hoot.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Re: In the Copperplate Foundations course . . . practice drills
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 07:07:06 AM »
This shows Dr. Joe's "A" and my course's "A".  His is preferred.  I will be pursuing that style.

At 9:30 p.m. I finally had to stop for last night to get proper rest.  I will continue with this "A" today.  A calligrafriend and I were posting last night and I commented how I will be glad when I make the hand/arm DO what the mind knows.  She stated I am getting better at red marking  :D. my own work.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:51:29 AM »
Wow - you are really putting in the hard work! Beautiful A’s right there. And Dr. Joe’s A - dreamy!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 02:08:26 PM »
Wow - you are really putting in the hard work! Beautiful A’s right there. And Dr. Joe’s A - dreamy!  ;D

I am giddy at your comment.  THANK you for this encouragement.  Means more than you know.  :-*
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »
That is a wonderful practice sheet.  I am concerned between the illustration and the instructions given in Dr Vitolo for the A.  The cross bar (oval shaped) is shaded.  Either executed in the reverse order or add the shade after.

Which do you prefer?

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »
That is a wonderful practice sheet.  I am concerned between the illustration and the instructions given in Dr Vitolo for the A.  The cross bar (oval shaped) is shaded.  Either executed in the reverse order or add the shade after.

Which do you prefer?
I prefer working smarter not harder which to me means getting her done while I'm in there versus backtracking to get it done.

The thing I am finding is when I try the back track method it's a sloppy hot double mess. When I try doing it while I'm inside the letter I wish I could show you on video My Finger pushes the air pressure where the shade should be but apparently you can't see the shade. I guess you would have to be inside my body to see and prove that I did push when there is to be a shade. I have been told by people that ink paper neb all these things make a difference in shade what was a hairline? Now I'm confusing myself. All I do know is apparently I don't know how to do it either way.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 06:04:45 PM »
I see. That is interesting.  I remember that when I had the trouble of double lines on retracing ...it was due to my muscle memory and writing positions.  I corrected by sitting as instructed by the manual.  And anchor the fleshy meat of my arm (close to the elbow) on the table.  Having an anchor is important, just as in life.  Next practice 1 sheet of ovals with push pull ...this as warm up before penmanship exercise.