Author Topic: Ink flow  (Read 926 times)

Offline Michael M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Ink flow
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »
I seem to have a problem. When writing, my shades are so wet and if I get too close to another line, it puddles. When I come back to complete an E (for example) sometimes its so wet that the nib pulls paper and smears the next letter I make. I am using Hammermill 28lb 100 bright paper, McCaffery's ink and a Gillott 303 and Hunt 101 nib. Any suggestions?

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
Re: Ink flow
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
Maybe you have too much ink on the nib, or the ink is too runny?

I am by no means an expert, but last week I went through this wonderful video by @YokePenCo, and found it to be very informative.

Perhaps there is something in it for you?
-- Alexander --

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »
Are your shades very broad, and, consequently, causing a lot more ink to be put down on the paper?  And, speaking of paper, are you having this problem on other papers?  Or with other inks? 

Offline Michael M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:00:26 AM »
Thanks for the movie! Chris does a wonderful job of explaining things. That was one I missed. I done some experimenting today on two different (quality) practice papers with the same on both. I tried different inks and same thing. I has a slow day today, so I made myself a new oblique pen with a new Hunt 101 nib. I prepared it the way Chris said (with the toothpaste, I have been using a chemical mixture) and most of the problems went away! So, apparently I had a bad nib, probably because I didn't prepare it right.
Thanks again for the help! I think I'm back on track. ;D

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 01:22:40 AM »
Perfect @Michael M, great to hear!
-- Alexander --