Author Topic: Flourishing How To's & Advice  (Read 14687 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Flourishing How To's & Advice
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
Andrew van der Merwe, a calligrapher from South Africa most famous for his beach calligraphy, posed a question on Facebook asking for the "most important advice" regarding flourishing. What is unique about this question is who he asked - Sheila Waters, Stephen Rapp, John Stevens, Yves Leterme, to name a few! Some pretty amazing answers followed. This is a must see thread if you are interested in learning how to flourish and Andrew granted me permission to share it with all of you. So check it out! Be sure to go to the very top of the thread and click on "view previous comments" so as to not miss anything.

(Let me know if you can't see it and I will transcribe it, but you should be able to.)

Flourishing Advice
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:41:57 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: Flourishing How To's & Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
I was able to read the entire thread, Erica. Wonderful, wonderful advice there! And it made me smile to see my teacher tagged by Andrew as one of the calligraphers he sought advice from. :)

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
Erica,
This wonderful information.  Thank you for sharing it. 
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
Wow-- that was a wonderful treasure trove of knowledge to peek in on! I'm not ready for flourishing yet, but it's nice to get some preemptive advice.
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 01:52:23 AM »
Fascinating information, Erica! Thanks for sharing it here!

Offline JostenD

• View Profile
    • Josten Dooley Design
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing this is exactly what I needed to read. I've been wanting to improve the flow of my flourishes.
Instagram.com/JostenDooley

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
Thank you!  Some very thoughtful advice.  It is interesting to see the different philosophies behind it.

Incidentally, what is "beach calligraphy"?  I imagine calligraphy in sand.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »
Yes, it is calligraphy in the sand. But the way Andrew does it is nothing short of amazing. It is so organic and gorgeous. He has created special tools and the results are awesome. I've tried it - it is *not* easy!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »
Andrew van der Merwe, a calligrapher from South Africa most famous for his beach calligraphy, posed a question on Facebook asking for the "most important advice" regarding flourishing. What is unique about this question is who he asked - Sheila Waters, Stephen Rapp, John Stevens, Yves Leterme, to name a few! Some pretty amazing answers followed. This is a must see thread if you are interested in learning how to flourish and Andrew granted me permission to share it with all of you. So check it out! Be sure to go to the very top of the thread and click on "view previous comments" so as to not miss anything.

(Let me know if you can't see it and I will transcribe it, but you should be able to.)

Flourishing Advice

OMG.  There are so many nooks and crannies in this Forum, I can hardly see straight.  I just stumbled upon this FB advice given to Andrew van der Merwe, whom I wasn't even familiar with till now.  What valuable information is in this.  It's complete revelation! 

If there is a way to put something like this back at the top of the threads or create its own page, I think it would be MOST helpful to us newbies who found the Forum desiring to know about  "flourishing."  I haven't had a printer for years--haven't missed it at all, really.  But this thread I would print!!  I might even print it LARGE. 
Debbie

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
Thanks Milonguera,
This thread is already "stickied" and so stays at the top of the board - with the other "stickied" threads.  :)

At some point I will be posting a tutorial on flourishing however, I am also considering a full, paid in-depth tutorial with instructor feedback for this topic so I'm waiting to decide how to best handle this very difficult topic. So stay tuned.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »
Thanks so much, Erica!  So much I've yet to figure out, i.e.:  "stickied."  I know what a sticky post is but am not sure how to identify one here.  Ah, sill mye--the number of times something is viewed maybe.  Duh--I have to think.   :o
Debbie

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 08:51:14 AM »
Hi Debbie,
The stickied posts are shaded a color and are at the top of a board. There may be more than one sticky so it won't necessarily be the very first one. The "unstickied" posts will continue to move down unless they are responded on.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jennifer J

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 12:30:21 AM »
Just wanted to post a new reply in case it catches the eye of someone who hasn't seen this! For some reason I have overlooked it in the tutorial area and just found it  :)
Jennifer

My instagram @topazwave

ash0kgiri

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »
Hi Erica,

That was a wonderful post on Flourishing. Very detailed. Even though i didn't understand few words as i was not familiar with the language.

Thanks
Ashok

Offline ValerieRodionova

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 07:40:17 AM »
Erica, thanks for sharing!
I love this one by Denis Brown -
the old saying that a calligrapher with taste is one who can flourish, but doesn't.

Brilliant!