Author Topic: Good supplies store in Boston+NYC ??  (Read 2279 times)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Good supplies store in Boston+NYC ??
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »
Hi,

I am planning to visit Boston and Manhattan this summer, so if you have some outstanding supplies places you love (paper, arts, ink, whatever), please share, many thanks in advance!

(Four years ago in Soho we hit upon a really nice japanese paper shop by accident, quite nice!  That was during my son's origami phase  :) )

Offline ExtrasbyAlaina

• View Profile
    • Extras by Alaina
Re: Good supplies store in Boston+NYC ??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »
I live in Boston and order most of my supplies online just because I can never find those specialty calligraphy goods I yearn for! That said, there's a Dick Blick in the Fenway area that carries a lot of goodies (PearlEx, a few nibs, gouache, lovely paper...).

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:59:28 PM »
I found Bromfield Pen Shop (Downtown Crossing).   Looks interesting.  Do you know it?
https://www.bromfieldpenshop.com/

Offline idrawletters

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:18:12 PM »
Hi Eric! I actually buy most of my specialty calligraphy supplies online too—unfortunately the online shopping phenomenon has forced lots of specialty pen shops and local art stores to close down (there was an awesome one in mid-town that I was last at in 2013 but it has since closed). Art supply shops don't carry much beyond the basics.

Like Alaina said, Dick Blick does have standard calligraphy supplies, AND New York Central Art Supply had a bit of a nib collection last I checked. However I just got word today that they're selling off a LOT of their inventory  at a discount over the next few months to be a bit more of a specialty art store, so you might find some gems there when you visit!

If you're into paints and pigment, I highly recommend you check out Kremer Pigments. It's like a candy store for artists! :)
NYC / HKG
Instagram @idrawletters

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 07:46:48 AM »
New York Central Art Supply had a bit of a nib collection last I checked. However I just got word today that they're selling off a LOT of their inventory  at a discount over the next few months to be a bit more of a specialty art store, so you might find some gems there when you visit!

I second NY Central Art Supply. This is an old-school store worth patronizing. (I love how dark and slightly disorganized it is. Reminds me of a grandfather's attic.) Their nib selection is pretty diverse.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:54:33 PM »
Like Alaina said, Dick Blick does have standard calligraphy supplies, AND New York Central Art Supply had a bit of a nib collection last I checked. However I just got word today that they're selling off a LOT of their inventory  at a discount over the next few months to be a bit more of a specialty art store, so you might find some gems there when you visit!
Alas, the inventory sale is until June 20 only... I won't be there until August.
Thanks for the tip, I will check it out regardless.

Offline idrawletters

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
Ah darn, good point. Definitely check it out though!
NYC / HKG
Instagram @idrawletters

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »
I found Bromfield Pen Shop (Downtown Crossing).   Looks interesting.  Do you know it?
https://www.bromfieldpenshop.com/
Well I just came back from Boston.  Cool trip, great city!

For the record, I checked out BPS (just a few seconds near the Granary Burial Ground off the Freedom Trail, so not a major detour) and it's a small quaint shop with a lot of fountain pens and ink and a couple of pointed pen nibs (Brause and Speedball) dueling it out in the back  :)

So I came out of there empty handed but that is not to say you ought not check it out.  So it's still PIA and John Neal online, no surprise.  Which is too bad, because to me online shopping will never beat the cheap thrill of a real brick-and-mortar shop.   Anyway.

I also spotted two Dick Blick's, one on Mass Ave. right at Central T station in Cambridge, and the other near Fenway Park on Brookline near the Regal cinemas.