Author Topic: Calligraphy supplies in NYC  (Read 13524 times)

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
Calligraphy supplies in NYC
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:21:49 AM »
Morning, anyone know of stores in NYC that sell calligraphy specific supplies (nibs, holders, inks)? I'll be there for a week, and thought I'd do some browsing.

NYC has great art supply stores: Sam Flax, Central Art Supply, sadly just saw Pearl closed recently, etc. Also, I went to Kinokuniya recently and they didn't have as much calli supplies as I thought. I want to make sure that I visit the hidden gems.

Thanks all for your input!
Janice

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
Re: Calligraphy supplies in NYC
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
Oh I'd be interested in this too! I'm visiting in April and would love to drag my friends into a few stores with me ;D. I'll have to split my money between supplies and ramen..

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »
I'll have to split my money between supplies and ramen..

Oooh, a tough dilemma!!

If I stumble onto anything, I'll post back here. Definitely stop into Kinokuniya for all the pens, erasers, pencils, markers, kawaii-everything, you'd ever want.
http://www.kinokuniya.com/us/index.php/fho003

Offline Fay

• Freshman Member
  • Start: January 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
Hey there are quite a few stores here like Dick Blick! I also like Da Vinci's. I thought Central Art Supply was slightly pricey, but they have a wider range of nibs there as compared to the others who hold mostly the Speedball nibs, or Tachikawa comic nibs at Da Vinci's. I actually took a day to visit every art store from Lee's Art at 57th to Central Art Supply around 10th, all on foot! I am a bit mad when it comes to comparing prices :P

If you're a student, Da Vinci's and Central Art Supply gives 10% discounts if you show your student card:)

Enjoy yourselves here!!
Instagram: @faylligraphy

Offline aliceedang

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »
Oh what! This is not on the topic of art stores in NYC, but I just looked up Kinokuniya and found that they have a store just 10 min from where I live! Definitely gonna jump in there when I get the chance to buy everything  :-P

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:31:05 AM »
@Alice Kino is a very dangerous place!

@Fay, thanks for your comments! It's amazing how different stores can price their items, even though they aren't too far from each other and share the same clientele. You should have rewarded your tired footsies with a pedi, which you can get on almost every other block of NYC. :)

Offline chandemic

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
I live in NYC and I have been to Lee's art shop before, there is a lot of supplies to look at! I just started calligraphy two weeks ago and I have been trying to find places. Here is a list of stores that might interest you:

1. The ink pad (more of a stationary/scrapbooking store, but they have pens and random stuff)
2. The fountain pen hospital - haven't been here yet
3. Kinokuniya
4. Stevdan pen and stationary - haven't been here yet but I have see that they have a lot of pens to offer
5. Lees art shop
6. dick blick (multiple locations)
7. Paper presentation
Photography instagram: http://instagram.com/chandemic
Crafting instagram: http://instagram.com/papermementos

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
I live in NYC and I have been to Lee's art shop before, there is a lot of supplies to look at! I just started calligraphy two weeks ago and I have been trying to find places. Here is a list of stores that might interest you:

1. The ink pad (more of a stationary/scrapbooking store, but they have pens and random stuff)
2. The fountain pen hospital - haven't been here yet
3. Kinokuniya
4. Stevdan pen and stationary - haven't been here yet but I have see that they have a lot of pens to offer
5. Lees art shop
6. dick blick (multiple locations)
7. Paper presentation

Super, thank you!! I'll report back if I hit up some of these store. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Paper Presentation. I try to get most of my letter stock from there.

Offline Fay

• Freshman Member
  • Start: January 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 12:31:16 AM »
@Fay, thanks for your comments! It's amazing how different stores can price their items, even though they aren't too far from each other and share the same clientele. You should have rewarded your tired footsies with a pedi, which you can get on almost every other block of NYC. :)

I just wish I weren't ticklish! My feet do need some loving but anything that touches them tickles too much!! ;D
Instagram: @faylligraphy

Offline idrawletters

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
I definitely think NY Central has the best selection of nibs. It's a curious place (the guy in the paper section can be quite temperamental), but every long-time New Yorker and art/calligraphy teacher I know references it as their place to go.

If you ever fancy a meet up while you're here, let me know! :)
NYC / HKG
Instagram @idrawletters

Offline chandemic

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »
I definitely think NY Central has the best selection of nibs. It's a curious place (the guy in the paper section can be quite temperamental), but every long-time New Yorker and art/calligraphy teacher I know references it as their place to go.

If you ever fancy a meet up while you're here, let me know! :)

I wouldn't meeting up too!
Photography instagram: http://instagram.com/chandemic
Crafting instagram: http://instagram.com/papermementos

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »
@chandemic and @idrawletters:

I'm so sorry to have missed your replies about meeting up. My schedule was a bit hectic, so wasn't really able to check FF while I was away. (Not to mention I can never remember my password!) Hopefully, next time I'm up there. :)

I did have a chance to go to NY Central, and they do have a diverse selection of nibs: Brause, Esterbrook, Hunt, Gillott. It's nice to actually see them in person vs. buying online. The nibs did seem a bit pricier than what I've seen online, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to supporting long-standing small businesses, and this one has been around for a while. It even has an old school, your grandfather's attic, look to it, which I loved. I definitely recommend going in there, even if just to browse. They had lots of bottled inks too, but not much variety in holders.

Happy shopping!
Janice