Author Topic: guide sheet question  (Read 2977 times)

Offline LettersAndTea

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
guide sheet question
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:37:38 AM »
Hi everyone...I have a newbie question.  On the IAMPETH website, there are a number of guide sheets available for download.  Is the 52 degree sheet for Spencerian?  What about the 55 degree guide sheet?  I've read different things regarding the angle for spencerian and both numbers have come up.  Thanks in advance  :)

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: guide sheet question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »
Hi
52 is Spencerian and 55 is for copperplate.

Happy writing
Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:18:40 PM »
Ditto what Prasad said.  Also, the old masters of what's now commonly known as Spencerian often used different slant angles (usually less than 52 degrees, from what I've seen).  They also used different proportions from by-the-book Spencerian, and their writing looks significantly different.  I learned this while using the Spencerian theory book and copybooks.  I'm glad I started with the Spencerian system because it gave me a way of dissecting letters, but after I'd completed the theory book and about half of the copybook exercises, I switched over to some more Zanerian methods.  If you're just starting out, I'd recommend finding some writing that you like a lot, and then learning the system the writer used.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
Yep, C P Zaner promoted a 50° main slant, and then wrote in his Ornamental Penmanship book that people should settle on a slant that they think looks right (I paraphrase).  If 52° guidelines are what you've got, that's good because nearly all the plain penmanship textbooks use that angle and they're the best place to start.  As for copperplate, there seems to be quite a bit of historical variation but lots of people settle on 55°.  At any rate, my take on the subject is that consistency of slant is crucial, but the exact angle isn't.