Author Topic: Any Help Appreciated :)  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Whitney Gothra

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Becoming
Any Help Appreciated :)
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »
I'm almost embarrassed to post this with all of the talented people on this forum, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? Ha! I just got some calligraphy supplies last week and dove straight into Erica's tutorials.  I've been practicing every free moment since. 

Two of my friends are getting married soon, and I thought I would *try* to make them a little art to commemorate the day.  I've been practicing some of the wording and thought I would post it and get some feedback.  I know there are several flaws and weird parts - those hairlines get me every time!  I was wondering if any of you seasoned calligraphers can see anything consistent in my practice words that I need to work on.  I don't want to start learning and get into a bad habit in my technique.

This was done with an oblique pen holder, a Hunt 101 nib, FW Acrylic Ink, and whatever computer paper my husband had lying around.  I used Erica's Copperplate guideline sheet under my paper to help get the proper slant.

Thank you for any and all help!  I really need it.  Ha!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:38:07 AM by Whitney Gothra »

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Re: Any Help Appreciated :)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:42:25 AM »
Hi Whitney,
It's very good.  I especially like the ones towards the bottom.

Love,
Roseann
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
Hi Whitney,
You shouldn't be embarrassed at all - you are doing really well! You have a very sweet style.

I particularly like the 3rd one down. You maintained very nice, smooth letterforms. Look at the bottom flourish of the K - see how nice and smooth your finish is? Compare that to the one above it and below it. There is a stark difference. One flows very nicely and maintains a smooth oval shape. The other two are more rigid and produce angles. This is a really good example of how practicing ovals will greatly improve anyone's work. You achieved it quite well with the third one. With practice, it will become more consistent.

You can see a similar thing with the capital D intro swirl. In the first two, it is nice and rounded. On the third, it is slightly pointed. Although this would be cute if you were trying to accomplish a heart shape, in which case, I would make it more pronounced so it is clear that is what was intended. Otherwise, working on ovals will keep those shapes fluid, smooth, and more consistent.

You are really doing well. Your friends are going to love it!  :)

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Whitney Gothra

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Becoming
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Thank you so much, Roseann!  You are too kind!!

Erica ~ Your comment made my day.  I didn't even know I had a style!  :D  I completely see what you mean about those K's and D's.  My third K is the only one close to being okay.  I struggle with swooping down on the descender.  I get so far and then I pause and flip out in my head - "where is my pen about to go?!?!"  :o So those jagged and pointy lines are where some serious inner monologue was taking place.  Thank you for the recommendation to practice ovals!  I can't wait to work on them and see if my work improves.  I haven't been practicing strokes like that in my practice times.  I usually start off each session by tracing your worksheet with all the lowercase letters, and then I do the alphabet myself a few times. 

Thank you again for the feedback - I'm off to practice some ovals!

~Whitney

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
I struggle with swooping down on the descender.  I get so far and then I pause and flip out in my head - "where is my pen about to go?!?!"  :o So those jagged and pointy lines are where some serious inner monologue was taking place.

This will get better once you have memorized the shapes.  ;D I am working on the capitals so hopefully it won't be too long! I like that you are tracing over the practice sheets. This is a great way to learn the letterforms and train the muscles in your hand.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:36:20 AM »
Whitney, you have more courage than the rest of us... which is odd, right?  If you'd like to learn you need to know what you're doing wrong.  Catch 22.
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
Whitney - it looks great. I love your M. Don't get discouraged about swooping down. What I've learned with practicing  (I'm new at it just like you),  is that with much practice comes confidence in the letters and form. Also flourishing. It's seems your muscle memory kicks in and then your off to the races. I practice 4 hours a day but that's because work is really slow and I'm addicted to this beautiful writing. I dream about it every night. I'm so glad they don't have calligraphy anonymous because I wouldn't go. I would be addicted forever. Haha. Anyway your doing great. :-)
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher