Author Topic: What brought you to calligraphy  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Michellie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: What brought you to calligraphy
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 03:59:38 AM »
I can't say that I am a calligrapher (yet), but I love creativity ever since I was a little girl. Unfortunately, my parents did not allow me to study design in school.  :(

Now, I am currently working in my family business distributing creative papers. As I have to meet with a lot creative minds, the creative in me gets "itchy".  My primary school friend who is coincidentally my customer was into calligraphy and conducted a class. And I started to get hooked into calligraphy and lettering ever since. It enables me to use my creative mind and it is quite therapeutic.
Michellie

Ig: @chelliesz

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 07:03:44 AM »
Unfortunately, my parents did not allow me to study design in school.  :(
You can still do it, if it is your dream!
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
My story is similar to Debbie (Milonguera). I started pointed pen just over a year and half ago because I wanted to design my own invites. I started with typography and became fascinated with fonts. Then with all the wedding searching, of course calligraphy popped up. Way out of my price range! I turned the stationary into my DIY element of the wedding. I haven't looked back. The passion keeps growing and the pen keeps getting more and more carried away. :)
Star

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
Unfortunately, my parents did not allow me to study design in school.  :(
You can still do it, if it is your dream!
I hope all the parents reading this post will recognize how important it is to support your kids and refrain from dismissing careers choices that are in the arts. Over the years, I have met countless people (friends as well as students) who are unhappy and frustrated because their parents would not allow them to study art. They were forced into careers that are not fulfilling in any way. It is a common misconception that you will not find employment if you have a degree in art.

I just watched the PBS program about Billie Jean King. When she wanted her first tennis racquet, her parents made her earn the money to buy it. If your kids are drawn to art, music, dance, or theater - (and sports should be included since it is a very right-brained activity) - just make sure you teach them about earning money to contribute to the expense of supplies, instruments, and lessons. Kids who are self-motivated to be creative and are taught fiscal responsibility will do very well.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
I got more enjoyment out of using it as a missile or javelin trying to land it nib first in a desk some metres away.
I just found a new use for my worn out nibs!  :D   (and maybe I could even practice at the office... with fringe benefits as my aim improves... haha just kidding...)

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
So my short answer is that PearlEx ink got me into calligraphy.

The long answer is that I've been writing with fountain pens for 5 years, and about a year and a half ago I decided to pick up a stub nib for my LAMY one. I played around with that without much direction but started looking up more information about calligraphy until I happened across a thread on the Fountain Pen Network Forum about someone using PearlEx made ink with a dip pen. I was so determined to try out this gold ink that I picked up all the supplies for doing dip pen calligraphy and to make the ink. It wasn't long after that I found the flourish forum and found myself absolutely addicted.

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
I was never proud of my own handwriting and my jaw drops every time I see a neat penmanship. I took the plunge about 10 months ago and decided I wanted to learn Copperplate. There's so much to learn, but my main focus right now is to refine my strokes. I dedicate at least an hour a day for studying the letterforms. :)
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »
I was never proud of my own handwriting and my jaw drops every time I see a neat penmanship. I took the plunge about 10 months ago and decided I wanted to learn Copperplate. There's so much to learn, but my main focus right now is to refine my strokes. I dedicate at least an hour a day for studying the letterforms. :)

Judy - how cool is it that we have been doing this for about the same time frame! I'm at 10 months too :). Your dedication is evident in your progress.

I came to calligraphy loosely in this order: learn some book design in grad school -> dabbled in printmaking and very little lettering as a result -> looked more into lettering and realized I wanted to learn beautiful handwriting -> saw examples of ornamental penmanship -> life forever changed.

Offline StudioApricity

• Hello :)
    • View Profile
    • Studio Apricity
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
I'm a graphic designer and I was never content with what script fonts were offering me. It's just not enough!! So I decided to take matters into my own hand and just write what I wanted myself. Little did I know how many hours I'd put in and how much I'd love it! :D

This! Natascha and I have a similar beginning.
I studied some blackletter and italics during high school and design school but never really got into it. Heavily following (stalking ::)) Joi, Schin, Gail, and Nina on instagram had me falling for Copperplate and Spencerian. I fell in love with Madarasz' style and decided that I absolutely needed to learn. My daily practices are now my happy place. ;D
[♥] Dyan

Instagram

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »
I'm a graphic designer and my friend asked me to help her out with wedding invites which soon enough turned into a full wedding suite! So the wedding research lead to modern calligraphy popping up on pinterest and I thought I would give it a go. I already had calligraphy supplies gathering dust that I had picked up over the years but never got around to learning the craft. I bought the Molly Suber Thorpe modern calligraphy book however, in such a short space of time and with other wedding duties I found it too hard to 'get' the whole freeform aspect. So in the end I relied on very neat handwriting. So afterwards, I bought the Eleanor Winters Step-by-Step manual and I've never looked back - I'm now venturing into the world of Spencerian!

My only regret is that I didn't start it sooner.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:30:07 AM by Cescav123 »
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 09:20:24 AM »
Unlike many here, I had atrocious handwriting as a student. Spelling and penmanship consistently stood in the way of good marks in school. Sometime in high school I ended up with a Sheaffer calligraphy pen, which led to a whole set of Speedball calligraphy pens and ink. I still have the fishing tackle box I used to hold all of them. I taught myself a modicum of broad nib calligraphy. I was never excellent, but good enough to make signs and even had an envelope gig right after graduation from high school.

In college I got degrees in Asian Studies and Chinese Art History and so studied Chinese calligraphy, which is quite interesting, and traditionally considered the highest art form (above painting, literature, music, etc...) as it most illuminates the artist's character. In Chinese calligraphy, the nature of the materials (brush, ink on paper or silk) allows the viewer to follow the "performance" of the writing: starting of the stroke here, more pressure there, a quick lift and flick over here...  This all demonstrates the character and virtues of the artist.

Along the many years since, I've dabbled here and there, periodically pulling the pens out and doing the envelopes for our wedding, or a quote for someone. I made name tags for all of the people who reported to me at a previous job (set us apart from the hoi polloi in surrounding cubicles). About 15 years ago I started to discover fountain pens and enjoyed those, but then we moved and I packed most away. About a year-and-a-half ago I found the box and re-discovered fountain pens. I also decided to improve my horrible handwriting. I had stopped writing cursive in eighth grade and had printed ever since. I began again last year and have definitely improved since then. I didn't try anything formal like Spencerian, mainly because of innate laziness, as well as having never heard of Spencerian. Then earlier this year I purchased an old Conklin crescent filler fountain pen with a nicely flexible nib. That started me down that path, which led to flexible dip pens.

I remembered having been given a small box of old, pointed dip pens when my Great Aunt died when I was in high school. ("he uses those dip pen thingies, give them to him") I dug out the box and that was the start. It included some really nice old nibs including a few Spencerian No. 1's, some very flexible old Hunt nibs, some bank pens, etc... She used to teach in a small, rural school and probably used these to teach penmanship back in the 20's. Some, I'm sure, are from the late 19th-century.

I still do some Copperplate exercises but mostly I'm studying old hand-written materials from the 19th-century and looking at their various letter forms. I'm still interested in improving my penmanship and I'm looking at the century-before-last for inspiration. I mostly write exercises, quotes, random things I hear on the television while I'm practicing, and letters and postcards. I wouldn't call it calligraphy, per se, but it is interest in the form of written characters.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 12:17:48 PM »
Well, it's been a long journey for me & one that's not over yet!  Every day I learn more & practice more & learn different techniques & keep taking classes.  I think once the spark is there, the learning never stops!  :D

My journey started from a place that I never thought I would be in.

I was always fascinated by penmanship & loved calligraphy.  I was the girl in school who had the best handwriting & got caught writing notes from "parents" as to why their child was missing from school the previous day!   ;)  To this day, I often get told that I must be a teacher because of my penmanship (um nope!)

I had always wanted to study calligraphy but after college, getting married, having two babies...I just never focused on making it a priority.  Jump ahead 10 or so years & out of the blue, my then husband decided he wanted to separate.  Completely taken by surprise...I had no clue & was devastated.

Unfortunately, we had to live together for a year & a half as we wanted our children to finish the school year at their current school & waited to sell our house in the summer.  It was one of the hardest years of my life.  It was so difficult living with someone who, after 10 years, didn't love me anymore.  As we weren't going out as a family any longer, the times that he spent with the children left me with "free" time & at those moments, when I was alone, I dwelled on the downturn that my life had taken & wallowed in grief while missing my kids. 

It was at that point that I decided that I was going to do something for myself to get me out of the funk & find something that would occupy my time while the kids were out with their dad.  I began searching for things that I was interested in...paper crafting, scrapbooking...then I remembered CALLIGRAPHY!  For the longest time, I found nothing that was in my area or hundreds of dollars that a soon-to-be-single-mom couldn't afford.  Then I got a hit!  A local-ish pen store was having a workshop & it was not hundreds of dollars!

Signed up immediately & that is how my journey began!  Since then, I've been back & forth to the store for numerous workshops & joined a local calligraphy guild & starting selling some handmade things.

ETA:  My then husband & I did separate & the children & I moved to a new city & basically started life over again as a family of three.  My kids are with me every day (minus two weekends) & we are all happy.  I continue to be thrown curve balls from my ex but what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right?  :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:29:14 PM by thistledesignstudio »
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
I have always and forever loved letters! Ever since grade school, I was constantly trying to reinvent my handwriting to be unique and beautiful. I developed a healthy number of different print and script handwriting styles. I was completely unaware of the existence of specific calligraphy hands like copperplate, Spencerian, uncial, italic etc. And I thought that broad edge fountain pens and markers constituted the entirety of calligraphy supplies.

Well, about 2 years ago  I came across some very exciting envelope designs by Lindsay Letters on Pinterest and I was very interested in teaching myself to do something similar. I started practicing with my ballpoints and googling and practicing some more. My efforts at googling introduced me to scripts with line variation. I was very excited about that aesthetic so I went to my nearest craft store and picked up a calligraphy fountain pen set... Obviously not flexible nibs. I spent a month or so trying to recreate pointed pen styles with that fountain pen set. At the time I did not realize that flexible dip nibs were a thing. I knew that you could buy dip pens, but I thought they were entirely novelty items and did not consider that they served a utilitarian and artistic purpose.

Eventually I realized that pointed pen was the key to creating the style i wanted, so I went back to the craft store and purchased the only pointed pen they had. It was a speedball crow quill! I do not recommend that for a heavy handed beginner! Oh but I was in love. Eventually I got the right tools and practiced hours upon hours nightly.

I still am just as in love with calligraphy as I was 2 years ago. I never previously considered myself creative or artistic, but this art form just resonates so completely with me. It has been such a positive addition to my life.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
http://blogs.mprnews.org/state-of-the-arts/2010/08/illuminating-the-st-johns-bible/

i love how writing on notebooks in high school + the nuns giving her a speedball textbook opened the door for diane.
anyone who has not heard of diane may enjoy this article.
she is truly one of the rock stars in calligraphy

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 01:27:15 PM »
I come from a family of beautiful handwriting.  My mother, grandmother, and especially my grandfather all had beautiful handwriting.  As a child, I was always practicing handwriting.  I loved letters & would study them on cards & in advertisements.  Often, I would admire a capital "A" (or whatever) & would decide to adopt it as "my" capital A.  I was asked several times over the years to address family members' wedding invitations in my regular handwriting.

In the late 1990s, I took a continuing education class at the local junior college in calligraphy.  Every week for 6 weeks we "learned" a new hand.  (As you can imagine, with such a cursory & rapid overview, not much real "learning" went on!)  Then, in 2012, my daughter got engaged.  It was going to be a big wedding, with about 350 guests.  I was overwhelmed with all of the details, the costs, & etc.  I decided that I was going to learn how to do calligraphy, as that was one thing that I could save money on by not hiring it out.  I pulled out my Speedball text book from my jr. college class & decided that I would learn Copperplate, as it was the "pretty one"!  ;D  After months of struggle, and a half a dozen books on the subject, as well as many Youtube tutorials, I finally found the right supplies & my practice began to pay off with a reasonable facsimile of Copperplate.

I'm still learning & am not in the league with many here on the Forum, but I keep improving & hope to someday be able to review my handiwork & not respond with a sigh & eyeball rolling!  :)

The good news is, I did get my daughter's wedding invitations addressed on schedule & she & her husband loved my effort, so all of the hard work was worth the many hours of effort!

Janis