Author Topic: Aspiring Calligrapher from Reno, NV  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Dea

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Aspiring Calligrapher from Reno, NV
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
Hello!
My name is Dea {dey-ya} from the “biggest little city of the world.”
I am married to my high school sweetheart and a stay at home mom to two little girls ages three and one.
The closest guilds that I know of are in San Francisco and Las Vegas (and even Sacramento has one close by)
but I cannot afford to travel and find a babysitter at this time so I am devouring as much information I can find online. 
I also grew up in Manila and I am so jealous of the availability of workshops popping up at this time!

I have taken up a calligraphy class at our local community college last March but I was really drawn more towards Modern Calligraphy style.
Come August, I decided to try Melissa’s I Still Love Calligraphy and then Bryn’s introductory class in SkillShare;
I am also enrolled for the Modern Calligraphy Summit next year, which my husband agreed to as an early birthday gift :D
I have read and watched Dr. Vitolo’s tutorials and have Winters’ and Thorpe’s books in possession. 
The only magazine I have ever subscribed to in my life is Erica’s Dasherie. 
Lindsey’s The Postman’s Knock blog is my go-to source and inspiration and her Kaitlin script is my favorite!

Having been out of work since my first daughter was born, I had a lot of anxiety thinking about what career path I would take once my kids have grown.
It was always at the back of my mind, until I finally created an IG account after several proddings from my siblings. 
The inspirational and beautiful posts were like an opened dam and a light bulb. I finally found what my heart has been searching for.
I spent every waking moment thinking and practicing calligraphy. I couldn’t wait to put my kids to bed because those nibs were beckoning me all the time!
This newfound passion (or obsession) took me down memory lane: how I had earned the recognition for “best in penmanship” in grade school and high school,
which made me the go-to hand letter for my classmates’ projects.
I loved the colorful faux calligraphy (if I had only known then!) made by my teacher on the chalkboard every PTA meeting and being asked to write on the board for class notes.
I remember copying my classmates’ handwriting and how they write their names.
I love blank notebooks and stationery, colored pens and pencils that I also ended up working in an office supply store as my very first job.

I have never considered myself an artist, mostly following my left brain, and for a time considered administrative work only.   
I do know that I enjoy creating for someone else like knitting/crocheting (from YouTube) or cooking/baking and gift wrapping.
I also recently dabbed on watercolor using brush and pencils, looking for instruction in YT and Pinterest. 
I actually like the paint and ink stains residue on my fingers and the “messy” table afterwards because it makes me feel like an artist :D

Perhaps I’ll take graphic design and typography courses in the future. 
I like the thought that one day, I can continue to homeschool my kids while I work as a calligrapher, since Lake Tahoe is a popular wedding destination.
For now, my goal is to be really good at this skill so that I can be part of keeping this community vibrant and relevant as Erica envisions.
Mostly, I am motivated to transfer my enthusiasm and the beauty of having a dream to my two little girls.

With so much talent out there, I also have moments when I would feel very intimidated and remind me that I have a long journey ahead.
But I am also humbled because there is so much generosity in sharing time and information.
Which brings me here to this forum.  I am assuming you are still with me on my long introduction (sorry),
but I am beyond thrilled to be among you who knows exactly what this all feels like.
After all those classes I took and with the resources I have, I really need some proper guidance in my practice sessions, particularly Copperplate. 
Hopefully, I can transition to brush pens and flourishes (which are really, really, really challenging for me). 
At the same time, I am in the company of new friends, who I hope to see in a workshop somewhere someday  :)

Thank you so much for having me here. Pardon my jumbled thoughts; Mickey Mouse and Peppa Pig were talking in the background :D 
And think it’s time to clean up the blue paint on our carpet, too.

May you all have a fun week!

IG: @SweetAllDey

Offline Marc

• View Profile
Re: Aspiring Calligrapher from Reno, NV
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 06:37:02 PM »
Welcome aboard Dea!  I'm a few miles N.E. of Sacramento, so we're kinda-sorta neighbors. :)  Long intros are great, and I loved reading yours!  Best of luck and here's hoping the kiddos are good sleepers already to give you lots of practice time!  Been there with little ones before, and it's so awesome when they finally go down for the night! LOL

Marc

Offline Dea

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:21 PM »
Oooh! Nice to meet you, Marc! That sounds close enough :) Thanks for reading my intro!

Offline LettersAndTea

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:49:50 PM »
Welcome Dea!  I love Lindsey's blog!  It was through her blog that I started getting into calligraphy.  I think the Kaitlin style is beautiful, but I am horrible at it.  I gotta Practice Practice Practice  :D

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:51:42 AM »
Hi Dea,
Welcome to the forum.  This is a wonderful place for learning.  I started as a total newbie and this forum and the people here gave me excellent guidance and support in learning Copperplate.
Still have a long road to travel but, like me, you will love the journey and the people on this forum are perfect companions.
happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 05:49:34 AM »
I love your introduction! Welcome to the forum! :)
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila

Offline Dea

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
Thanks so much!!!