Author Topic: Comments appreciated  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Brittany P

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Comments appreciated
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »
So this is my first time posting any work, and I'd appreciate any advice on how to improve. I'm just at the practice stage now. I picked up pointed pen for the first time, and I've been working on it for about 3 weeks. I found this forum about a week and a half ago, and the tutorials have been super helpful. I'm still working on lower case and waiting anxiously for the upper case tutorials  :) (thanks again Erica for your generosity!)  If anyone has advice on how to improve, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Re: Comments appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:17:36 AM »
Brittany!
It's just lovely.  Three weeks!  Wow!!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »
Absolutely lovely Brittany! I'm really impressed!

The only suggestion I have is to watch your ends. Some people prefer a non-squared off top and some a more pointed top. But I would be consistent with one or the other. So the tops of your t's, g's, a's, y, u, d, etc. It's OK to go back and square off the top if it doesn't happen naturally with the first round. Also, watch the height of your t's. They should be just about 1/3 above the midline.

That is really it! Really, really nice!  :)

(This tutorial may be of help: Square your Tops and Bottoms]
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Brittany P

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
Thanks Roseann! I'm really enjoying learning something new!

Thanks for the advice, Erika! I appreciate your expert eye. I'll take a look at the video and see if I can get the tops and bottoms squared up, and watch my height on the t's. I can't wait for the upper case tutorials!

Thanks again for sharing your talent!

Offline Donna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
Brittany that's beautiful work!  You must naturally have gorgeous handwriting to achieve that in just three weeks?  Well done :)

Offline Brittany P

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
Thanks Donna! I took a broad nib calligraphy class when I was in 6th grade, but haven't done anything in about 20 years. I'm sure the broad nib experience helped :-).