Author Topic: I've been busy,...  (Read 1561 times)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
I've been busy,...
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
.......just not with my writing practice.

I have been scrambling and getting ready for Scriptus Toronto 2015. This will be my first pen show that  I will actually be a vendor at. Very nerve racking.

I have attached a couple of pictures showing some of  what I have been working on.

The obliques and straight holders have a friction polish to keep the feel of the wood. For theses ones, I have used Black walnut, Nogal (Peruvian walnut), Oak and Cherry. I have a more in progress using more exotic woods and burls.

The stand is a prototype of the one I want to add to my inventory. This is the one for dip holders, but I plan to make a slightly narrower one for fountain pens. This one is made with Black walnut and maple dowels for the cross pieces. I am hoping to make few with more decorative and colourful spindles.

The next picture shows my first batch of rocker blotters, finished and ready to go.

I also have my first custom fountain pen designs that I will be offering. Up until now most of my pen work has ben what we call "kit pens". These ones, other than the nib and clip, are completly my own design. Some are even done with my own custom poured materials. The last picture shows three of these.

I don't have near the inventory ready that I had hoped, hence the paniced scramble and lack of practice time. I swear to get back to the writing after the show.

I anyone is going to be in the Toronto area on November 1st, I would highly recommend droping by the show. It's being held at the Toronto Reference Library and is free admitance (who doesn't like free stuff). To the best of my knowledge, this is the only Pen show currently held in Canada. While it is more catering to the fountain pen lovers, there will be a Calligraphy presence. Last year a number of the vendors also had dip nibs for sale. The Calligraphic Arts Guild of Toronto will have a table set up and there will be some stationary vendors as well.

Here's a link to the info. If you get there, drop by my table.
http://scriptustoronto.com

Darrin
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Marc

• View Profile
Re: I've been busy,...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:10:25 PM »
These are stunning, Darrin!  Are you selling your obliques online anywhere?

Marc

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »
Nice work.  You nib holders are beautiful.  Did you make the stand as well?  I hope you are very successful at Scriptus.  I spent some time up in Toronto for work.  Everybody up there was friendly.  Every time I hear about Toronto it makes me think of the Rush song YYZ which is based off morse code of the callsign for the Toronto airport.

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
These are stunning, Darrin!  Are you selling your obliques online anywhere?

Marc

Thanks Marc

Technically I'm not selling them at all yet. LOL
My first ones went into my own case, these are the first into my inventory. Right now everything is getting prepped for Scriptus in !!!gulp!!! 10 days. After that I will be selling through my Etsy site and word of mouth on the forums.

Nice work.  You nib holders are beautiful.  Did you make the stand as well?  I hope you are very successful at Scriptus.  I spent some time up in Toronto for work.  Everybody up there was friendly.  Every time I hear about Toronto it makes me think of the Rush song YYZ which is based off morse code of the callsign for the Toronto airport.

Thanks.
Toronto is a great city, if you like cities.
I did make the stand. The one in the picture is the prototype.  I will be doing a couple more this weekend for the show. This one is about 6" across to hold dip pens. I also want to do some about 4" across for fountain pens.

Darrin
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
NICE!  Good luck at the show!

Offline Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:45:45 AM »
Good luck at the show!  I've been gnawing at my fist lately to rid my mind of diving in and getting a lathe because I can't just enjoy a hobby, oh no, I always have to do something DIY in the hobby.  Oy vey!

(I'm working on some ink concoctions, and will try to limit myself to that!)

Keep us posted about that Etsy store!

Marc

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:54:40 AM »
They look great Darrin! Lovely work  :)
Nikki x

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
They look great Darrin!  Wish I could make the show & meet you (I'm not far away in Brantford but already have activities that day with my kids).  Let us know how it goes!
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »
Beautiful. Love the look of the different woods you used.