Author Topic: Hi! I'm Erica McPhee of Paperwhite Studio  (Read 70826 times)

Offline michelle

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Hey Love Designs
Re: Hi! I'm Erica McPhee of Paperwhite Studio
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
Thank you so much for starting this forum and providing a place for us all to geek out over calligraphy. I'm so excited I came across your website!
michelle

www.heylovedesigns.com
twitter.com/heylovedesigns

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
Thanks Michelle! LOL!  :D I'm so happy you found us, too!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
Hi Erica!

Thank you for putting this together. There are only a few calligraphers in the Philippines so there's no one much to ask. This is an excellent website/forum! I think calligraphy--and all things handmade--is making a comeback due to everything being digitally made. Life and its cycles!

All the best,
Katia
Katia | Manila, Philippines
Instagram: thedesignhobbyist

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
Thank you Katia. I agree and I love that calligraphy is experiencing such great love!

I believe we have at least two other calligraphers from the Philippines on the forum, too! I love that forums can bring people together from all across the globe. Really amazing.

Thanks again!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Floralovely

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 05:34:24 AM »
Hi Erica,
Thank you for this amazing resource! I am a florist and calligrapher from Brisbane, Australia. I attempted to develop my calligraphy skills a few years ago but struggled to find much assistance. I had books and the tools I needed but really wanted more guidance. There just didn't seem to be much around back then in Australia! This community you have created will be so wonderful and so useful to many people. I'm super excited to be a part of it! Thank you! And Happy New Year! Here's to a year filled with calligraphy love and more time to hone our skills! xo
Louise - Floralovely

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »
Hi Louise,

And thank you for such a lovely message! I was like you and learned calligraphy all on my own. It is so much more rewarding to learn along with others (even if it's virtual) and to have a non-judgmental group to ask questions without fear. I'm really happy so many wonderful folks like you have joined the community!

Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline sharack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
Hi Ericka,
  I am a retired elementary teacher and have been doing calligraphy for a number of years but not consistently. I am mostly left brained with minimal artistic skill but I love writing alphabets and quotes. I especially am now trying to focus on pointed pen work. I collect late 19th century autograph books/pages which have beautiful writing. I want to learn how to flourish birds and designs. Can you suggest any place to get elementary lessons on this? I have Michael Sull's book.
Stu

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »
Hi Stu,
Welcome to the forum! I'm a left brainer, too (former HR systems analyst) which I find great for calligraphy because it helps us analyze our work.

Are you a member of IAMPETH yet? This is a must for you! It is a virtual treasure trove of ornamental penmanship and tutorials. There you will find demonstration videos as well as some of the old master's tutorials for this type of calligraphy.

Link here: IAMPETH

The lessons for flourishing can be found here: Flourishing Tutorials

IAMPETH is a wonderfully kind group. Several of their members are also here. I hope that helps! And again, welcome!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline pkelley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:39 PM »
Hi, I'm new here & have been practicing calligraphy through a local calligraphy guild for about the past 5 years.  I learned some calligraphy in a High School art class and always wanted to learn more.  I found the guild here by accident after reading about them in a local newspaper.  I had no idea they even existed & I'd been living here for many years!  We only have 2 long time members who teach calligraphy.  I am at the point where I want to try copperplate.  I got the IAMPETH guide sheets and went online to get the Zanerian lessons.  After conversing on-line with a few of the masters about the type of nib they prefer, I ordered a Nikko G nib and got an oblique pen holder.  I am so glad I found this website as there are no locals who teach pointed pen, so I feel I just hit the jackpot!!  Thank you so much for this resource...it gives me hope and inspiration to keep going with this.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »
Welcome! How wonderful to have found a guild. They can be tricky to find sometimes.  ;D And I'm glad you found us, too!  :D Let us know if you have any questions as you work your way through the pointed pen tutorials. I am just wrapping up the first Capital tutorial now so it should be posted very shortly.

Again, great to have you here!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline themessycake

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Jar Of Salt
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 05:43:52 AM »
Thank you for putting this together, Erica! So glad to stumble upon a community of hand-writing artists from all over! I just started calligraphy two weeks ago and joined the forum today. I really look forward to learning from everyone's work and stories here :)

All the best,

Cherie
:) Cherie A.B.
jar of salt | etsy@themessycake

Offline Cathyd25

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:24 AM »
Hi Erica,
Thank you for being so generous with sharing your talent, putting up the flourish forum. 🎉😄 calligraphy is seeing a surge in Manila, Philippines and all resources available are overwhelming.

More power, God bless!

Hope to be better at pointed pen calligraphy, since I was more comfortable writing with italics for quite sometime.

Cheers,
Cathy

Offline Charles Bernth

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Under Hellgate
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »
Hello, Erica.
Hmm. How did I get here? The short version is via Deb Basel's copperplate class at the D.C. Supershow. That was the quickest four hours I've had in a long time! I want more!
I've played with Speedball C nibs since high school in the 1900's, but not much lately.
About two years ago I got tired of how much ball pens made my hands hurt, and I remembered the Parker Vector fountain Pens I used in school. Thanks to the interweb, I found them, and everything else I needed including knowledge. I now have a good stable of 'user' fountain pens, and it's time to do some more learning.
My nosing around this forum earlier today gave me a good feeling, so here I am, all registered.
Thank you for building this place.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
A belated welcome to Cherie! I hope your learning is coming along. Check out the Tutorials board and let us know if you have questions as you go!

Hi Cathy, Yes, Manila has some wonderful calligraphy lovers! I too made the switch from Italic to pointed pen. Thanks for your kind message!

Hi Charles, What a lovely intro! True story - I was just looking at some fountain pens this morning and thinking I should dig mine out. It's been years since I used them. I have been coveting a fountain pen with a copperplate nib but not sure I would really use it in the end. Welcome to Flourish and I hope you stick around and give calligraphy a try.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline maryam

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 04:45:33 AM »
Hello Erica McPhee I hope you are doing great today.  Thanks a lot for putting up this wonderful forum . I am really glad to find like minded people with same passionate approach towards calligraphy.  Calligraphy us really vast and it is not limited to just one language or script. It's magical isn't:)
Thanks again and best of luck.