Author Topic: Seeking critiques on my first (shy) copperplate  (Read 11625 times)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking critiques on my first (shy) copperplate
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 08:27:26 AM »
I wish I could direct you to a video online that shows a relaxed hand in motion - can anyone else steer us to a video?

Any of Erica's, surely?  Schin has an enviably relaxed technique too.

Erica's videos are right here in the Pointed Pen Nirvana section; Schin's Youtube channel is called OpenInkStand and contains some of best in depth pointed pen advice you'll find anywhere.

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 06:22:13 PM »
Well, thank you again for giving me guidance and spending (wasting ?) your time with me.

Erica's videos are right here in the Pointed Pen Nirvana section; Schin's Youtube channel is called OpenInkStand and contains some of best in depth pointed pen advice you'll find anywhere.

Yes, I watched both Erica's and Schin's videos, they were very helpful indeed. Problem is from saying to doing is a loooong way sometimes. Anyway, this time I tried to pay less attention to letter forms and tried to lighten my grip and to keep the nib pointed the right way. In a nutshell to get used to the nib, the pen holder, the posture, the grip. Quite a lot to think of at the same time. It's like learning to walk again, or to drive. And yes, to write...
I'll post what I came up with and please excuse the missing words or spelling errors. Your analysis is very important for me.
Take a look here: @sarthina_scribit

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
it is never a waste of time to help someone with their penmanship. it is one of the most accessible forms of art. everyone improves. not all of us reach the pinnacle we dreamed of - and settle for where we are. please don't be so hard on yourself. making things with your hands is a perfect antidote for the daily grind. getting familiar with your tools should be fun - not drudgery. looking forward to seeing your latest examples.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 09:49:30 PM »
it is never a waste of time to help someone with their penmanship.
So very true.

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 07:56:11 AM »
Thanks a lot for the kind words. I think I'll post new image(s) during this weekend, but until then I bumped into o problem I didn't find the answer anywhere.
I've tried a new ink, it's a drawing black ink, not a known brand, and the thing is the hairlines are no longer "hair"lines. They are much thicker regardless of how light I do the upstrokes. It looks and feels alright in use, it's just that the upstrokes are very thick. Anyone knows what that can be? Thanks.

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
Hi Sarthina -

It could be that your ink has thickened due to evaporation.  I add a drop (or drops) of distilled water to thin the ink I use.  I'm not sure that work's for all inks; some may need a specific thinner.  (Ziller inks maybe?)  So you could try putting a bit of ink into a small container, then adding some drops of water to see if that solves your problem. 

The other reason you could be having trouble is that inks vary in their nature.  Some inks are better for hairlines than others.  Some inks work better with particular nibs. 

Ink/paper/nib - when you are having difficulty you can try changing one of these things to see if it solves your problem. 

There are other people here who have much more experience than I do; we can both look forward to their posts. 
Ev

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 06:49:04 AM »
the results of any ink will depend on the nib and the paper.
yes, some inks need thinning.
but some of the most wretched inks might be just fine on some kind of random paper that is not friendly with any of your favorite inks.
you have to embrace the idea that there will be surprises and you will need time to experiment with options to find what works.

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
Well, I think I just need to leave that particular ink aside for now. Water didn't help... I'll buy some other inks (by the way, anyone knows how Scribblers calligraphy ink feels like?) and test each one of them with different papers/nibs...
For now I'm just struggling with my grip and how to hold the 'naughty' pen holder and try to tame it.. Or is it the other way around - like, I should be tamed  :-\  :)
And here goes some of the work I've done...

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 03:14:33 AM »
OK. Besides uploading a new image I have a question. I was watching Schin's videos and I tried to pay attention to how her nib touches the paper. To me, it seems like the nib is somehow rotated clockwise in relation to the axis of slant. Is it correct what I've seen or it's just because of the angle of camera or something??? And if yes, then the nib is not really aligned to the axis of the slant, is it? Or...?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 07:28:59 AM »
... Is it correct what I've seen or it's just because of the angle of camera or something???

No, I don't think it's a trick of the camera angle.  Just goes to show that for every "rule" someone will break it and still get excellent results.  You might have noticed that Schin occasionally gets a ragged edge on account of this - it's a feature of her style rather than a defect in my opinion.  She's in good company: Francis Courtney and Jean Larcher are two others who have exploited this effect.

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
OK. Need HELP. I've bought a D Rowney Calli ink and ...I'm ready to shoot someone (...myself?). So far I've been using Pelikan ink "for fountain pens" and thought it was too fluid and couldn't wait for the Calli to arrive. Now I have it and ...something is wrong. Hairlines are no longer thin and, above all, it looks like colour is fading away when the nib starts to run out of ink. I've tried LP EF and Nikko G but it's the same.
So, PLEASE, can you make some light!? I attach a picture so that you can see what I am talking about. Thanks.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »
I am pretty sure Calli is acrylic based. Acrylics work with a few papers. If you are in the states, try a McCaffrey ink and invest in Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper. Nikko G with McCaffrey ink and one of those two papers was recommended by Mike Sull when I took my first Spencerian class quite a while ago. It is also the combination that I recommend to all my students and IMHO it is a tried and true combination. While some people like acrylic inks, a lot of us only use them out of necessity on problem envelopes or where waterproof is an issue. If you can't get the McCaffrey's, try getting some walnut crystals or walnut ink. It's pretty foolproof for beginners.

Maybe some others can chime in and report on success when switching to McCaffrey's or walnut on one of those two papers. DO NOT choose McCaffrey's glossy black or ivory - they have problems with not drying.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
Definitely get mcCaffrey or a sumi ink and dilute it... Calli ink is not very good...

In regards to the way I hold my nibs, it is not really by the book, it was just a bad habit I've always had and didn't bother fixing, lol
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
Well... Thanks everyone for the replies. And yes, Calli is acrylic based and the pad I used for writing is a Clairefontaine, so I suppose this is not an issue. My problem was (and still is) WHY the ink behaves like that. I only have one bottle of it and I need(ed) to know what should I do: make it thinner or make it thicker? It sounds like I'm being stupid, but until now I didn't really bother about inks. The cartridge in my fountain pen was just fine. Now it's a whole lot different...
And as for the Nikko G - I think of ordering (a) new one(s) since everyone says is smooth and everything - mine just happens to feel scratchy. Plus I have to press quite a lot for the shading (which obviously doesn't happen with the LP EF).
But back to the ink issue: I did read quite a lot and I know about McCaffrey and sumi and walnut ink and that they have good reviews. BUT I live in Eastern Europe (Romania to be exact) and getting those ink is like digging for water in a desert. Sort of... Seems like the 'almost' half of a century of communism threw us another century back... But I really consider making my own walnut ink - that's on my to do list for this autumn... ;)

PS Schin, I wasn't criticizing your ...hand. God forbid! I too consider it as a touch of style (as Andy stated). And whenever I feel depressed because of my wobbly letters I watch some of your videos to get inspired...

...and then get depressed again seeing your work and others and thinking I never gonna get there and that...  :o , well, don't mind me..

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »
But I really consider making my own walnut ink - that's on my to do list for this autumn... ;)

Sarthina, I hope you do try making walnut ink.  It's not hard or time consuming at all.   There is information somewhere on Flourish Forum about it.  My husband and I picked the nuts off the ground where they had fallen and put them in a bucket.  They were still in their husks.  We made sure they were soaking wet.  We covered it and forgot about it for months and months.  Eventually we strained it through cheesecloth and - voila! - ink!  Smelly, but smooth.  I have used it raw and I have also cooked it to try and kill any mold or bacteria.  (Still smelled after cooking, by the way.)

Also you can make ink from pomegranate hulls.  Alba has done this and there might be something about it here somewhere.
Ev