Author Topic: Hi! I'm Clover!  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Clover

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm Clover!
« on: August 18, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »
Hi all.  I'm Clover.  I'm an intermediate beginner.  So far, I've been focused on learning modern calligraphy, but am finding myself being drawn to Copperplate. 

I live in Austin, Texas but I'm originally from Madison, Wisconsin.  I've spent the last decade training shelter dogs with moderate to severe behavior challenges.  I am also an avid runner.  I have run a marathon in all 50 states as well as in Finland and Iceland. 

I'm excited to be part of this group of supportive creators.  One of my challenges with calligraphy (and I suppose, in life) is putting things that I've created out into the world.  Although I don't yet have expertise to help someone with calligraphy, I hope that I can offer support and enthusiasm.

-Clover

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! I'm Clover!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 09:47:04 PM »
Hi Clover,
So glad you introduced yourself! Wow - a marathon in every state! And Finland and Iceland! That is incredible and amazing!

And what a challenge to work with shelter dogs. We are so lucky to have people like you!

Let us know if you have any questions as you fall down the calligraphy well. If you are focused on modern but looking to get into Copperlate, you may enjoy my tutorials under the Pointed Pen Nirvana section. They are a “relaxed” Copperplate. Nothing formal and the form isn’t the best but they are a nice transition if you are more interested in modern.   :D

Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Clover

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Thank you for the tip, @Erica .  I will absolutely check out your tutorials.  That gives me a great place to start.  I am gleefully overwhelmed by all of the information here. 

-Clover

Offline nicole.t

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 08:14:12 PM »
Welcome to Flourish, Clover! I'm in Austin too  :)

If you haven't already, I suggest checking out the local guild - Capital City Scribes. They have a lot of learning opportunities!

Happy writing,
Nicole

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 09:55:49 PM »
Welcome Clover!

I love your pupper photo! I have a blue too  ;D

-Aries

Offline Clover

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 01:08:56 PM »
Hi @Aries M!

Princeton was one of my favorite trainees.  He has been happily adopted for two years.  I definitely have a thing for blues...and brindles...and pink noses....basically any dog that has short fur and a giant head.    ;D

-Clover

Offline Clover

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
@nicole.t,

It's wonderful to virtually meet someone who is also in Austin.  Thank you for the suggestion for the Capital City Scribes.  I will email and ask about the next meeting. 

Clover

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 08:32:57 PM »
Greetings, Clover!  I love your introduction and gleeful overwhelm ... oh, and big-head doggos!  Hoping you enjoy the forum and many happy life moments.  - Karl
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »
Howdy, @Clover!  I'm in Amarillo, so I'm a fellow Texan.  Welcome to the Flourish Forum!  You're so lucky to live in a city with a guild!  And, I think that it's a pretty active one!  Lucky you!

Janis