Author Topic: Hello From A Newbie  (Read 165 times)

Offline JoanDR

• View Profile
Hello From A Newbie
« on: August 20, 2022, 11:34:02 AM »
Hello!  My name is Joan and I live in Florissant Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis.  I'm an office manager for a busy pediatric practice, mom to two adult sons, and wife to a wonderful husband.  I've had a long interest in all things type-related and have played around with lettering in the past, making name cards for office events, chalkboard art, etc.  My other hobbies include knitting, watercolor, yoga, and training our two golden retrievers. 

I'm nearing retirement and looking forward to having the time to develop a deeper knowledge of true calligraphy and hopefully refine my skills.  About six weeks ago I started an online tutorial and spent about a month learning a modern hand.  It was a great way to get comfortable using a pointed pen and learn about inks, nibs, etc. but I quickly realized that what I really want to learn is Copperplate calligraphy.  Since then, I've bought several books including Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy by Eleanor Winters and I've focused solely on trying to learn this beautiful but difficult style.  This forum has been a great source of information and inspiration and I love poking around in the various topics, picking up tips and admiring the work of the experienced calligraphers.  Thanks to you all for taking the time to share your knowledge with those like me who are inexperienced but determined to learn. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Hello From A Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 12:14:43 PM »
 Hi Joan,
I love hearing about your calligraphy endeavor! (I also enjoy knitting, watercolor, and yoga!).

Younghae Chung has an excellent new book out called Classic Calligraphy for Beginners . It has both Copperplate and Spencerian. It is an excellent book and I highly recommend it even for those who arenít beginners. (Amazon affiliate link)

Let us know if you have any questions as you go. Welcome to Flourish!  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 07:16:39 PM »
@JoanDR

There is a particular kind of joy called mudita ... it is the delight that comes from sharing in someone else's joy.  I have mudita for you in anticipation -- because of having personally experienced so much help, support and kindness from the Flourish Forum members. Because of this, it has always been a pleasure to see someone new join us!

I, too, had looked forward to retirement as providing the freedom and time to overhaul, in my case, execrable penmanship. May wonderful days and years of growth and fun things lie before you.

~Karl
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 07:03:59 AM »
A wonderful resource for copperplate/engrosser script is Joe Vitolo's free ebook and videos.

http://www.zanerian.com