Author Topic: Day 15 - 2022: ARMADILLO  (Read 726 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 15 - 2022: ARMADILLO
« on: October 15, 2022, 12:21:38 AM »
Armadillo. The struggle is real.  ;D
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Day 15 - 2022: ARMADILLO
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 10:45:39 AM »
Beautiful @Zivio ! I see you making great progress! And yes, lol, the struggle is real - I found this word a challenge as well. I can’t even tell how many times I wrote it. But at some point about 1 am last night, I did my final revision with a completely different capital than I started with. And we did the same capital A! Cheers!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 10:46:56 AM »
P.S. I love that I can’t tell where yours begins or ends! Well done!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »
McCaffery's Penman's Black
Spencerian #1
Homage to Schin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 02:33:44 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 04:22:14 PM »
@Lucie Y - Thank you so much for your kind thoughts about my copperplate.  I hardly ever use it in real life, so despite having learned it years and years ago, I always feel like I'm perpetually relearning it, and never really mastering it.  But it's the process that counts, and I feel like it's getting better this month!  Your enthusiasm for it really made my day!  And your layouts really show off your skills at drawing and calligraphy.  The filagree of your vine and leaf work is so delicate, and really compliments your Ronde - and I love your color choices.  I love your aesthetic all around!

@AnasaziWrites - you are too kind.  But sometimes I do think that the drawings I don't labor at so much turn out better.  The jellyfish has a kind of studied nonchalance, because bleach drawings make you work fast!  There's lots of planning, but once the bleach hits the paper, there's no turning back.
* btw - if anyone was wondering how I'm getting that sort of neon effect, it's an ink wash, and then I dip a G-nib into plain laundry bleach and draw with it.  Some of these dye-based inks react with interesting colors, like the bright turquoise blue in the jellyfish drawing.
* and the vividness of it sort of redeems my muddy passenger pigeon drawing - although to be fair, Martha was a female of the species, which, as @Zivio noted in an early post, was built for hiding rather than strutting.

And yes, @Erica McPhee - We got another inch or so of snow this morning.  It's melting off now, but yeah, the North is like that this time of year.  Duluth is the coldest city (of a certain size) in the continental US.  It's also further north than 85% of the population of Canada.  It's okay though - it means that the outdoor hockey season is just around the corner.  We usually start flooding our neighborhood rink around Thanksgiving.  In the meantime, it's good weather for drawing, and for thinking about warmer places, like the natural habitats of today's Armadillo.

I used a sort of new ink that I haven't done much with yet -- it's by an ink company in the Philippines called Troublemaker.  It's a duotone ink called "Petrichor" that writes like an oily dark grey, but breaks into vivid jade greens and mauvy pink/purples.  And the reaction with bleach is pretty spectacular and somewhat unpredictable.

So we have a companion for Mike's lovely loopy flourished armadillo.  And rather plain capital A that's not even going to try to compete with the lovely flourished As that Karl & Erica gave us.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 06:09:35 PM »
But sometimes I do think that the drawings I don't labor at so much turn out better.  The jellyfish has a kind of studied nonchalance, because bleach drawings make you work fast!  There's lots of planning, but once the bleach hits the paper, there's no turning back.

Interesting way to put it--studied nonchalance. That fits. Having to work quickly often requires more planning ahead, as there is no time to ponder how each next step should proceed when the process yields uncertain results/effects.
* btw - if anyone was wondering how I'm getting that sort of neon effect, it's an ink wash, and then I dip a G-nib into plain laundry bleach and draw with it.  Some of these dye-based inks react with interesting colors, like the bright turquoise blue in the jellyfish drawing.
Best use of bleach. Glad to see you using it again.
I used a sort of new ink that I haven't done much with yet -- it's by an ink company in the Philippines called Troublemaker.  It's a duotone ink called "Petrichor" that writes like an oily dark grey, but breaks into vivid jade greens and mauvy pink/purples.  And the reaction with bleach is pretty spectacular and somewhat unpredictable.

So we have a companion for Mike's lovely loopy flourished armadillo.  And rather plain capital A that's not even going to try to compete with the lovely flourished As that Karl & Erica gave us.
Good color for the armadillo. Very nicely done. Your copperplate is coming along nicely.
@K-2
BTW, your suggestion a few days ago to use Sumi ink with broad pen was right on the money.  I have a half used bottle last opened 23 years ago, tried it on bristol smooth with a Gillott 5005 nib and it worked great. Though it's still not dry 24+ hrs later. Add a little water maybe? I have a larger bottle from the same era that's never been opened. Hopefully that's still good as well.

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 06:53:02 PM »

...  It's a duotone ink called "Petrichor" ...

Petrichor!  I have always loved this word (among so many others) from the day I  first learned its provenance – which is so evocative of its meaning. I’ve loved the thing itself as long as memory serves.

• First its derivation*:  From Greek ‘petra’, stone, plus ‘ichor’, the ethereal fluid that flows from the veins of the gods, according to Greek mythology. 
  • Its meaning:  The earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. [Wikipedia]
  • The thing itself:  Shared human experiences of delight must certainly be divine.

(* No doubt you already are acquainted with this; I share for anyone who may not know.)

And apropos of shared experiences of delight, "our" Inktober continues to be one for me!  Especially the gracious comraderie and kind words from all, to all. Congratulations to everyone for the wonderful contributions of your work.  The end products themselves, of course, but the combined efforts and outlay of time, energy and dedication that has made them possible. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:24:13 PM by Zivio »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 01:23:45 AM »
Oh the armadillos @AnasaziWrites and @K-2 !!! Going to bed with a smile on my face!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
@Lucie Y - Thank you so much for your kind thoughts about my copperplate.  I hardly ever use it in real life, so despite having learned it years and years ago, I always feel like I'm perpetually relearning it, and never really mastering it.  But it's the process that counts, and I feel like it's getting better this month!  Your enthusiasm for it really made my day!  And your layouts really show off your skills at drawing and calligraphy.  The filagree of your vine and leaf work is so delicate, and really compliments your Ronde - and I love your color choices.  I love your aesthetic all around!

Your Copperplate is really very elegant and I took the time to zoom on your various entries the other day to enjoy it.
Thank you for the encouragement, it means a lot to me from such an accomplished artist as you are. I am hoping and aiming to work so that my pieces look professional, with a goal of selling finished product (but the goal is the level reached more than selling art).

Today though, I am taking a little break. Some health issues have come up in my family this weekend. Can't go creative tonight, but I can practice my letter spacing while listening to Netflix in the background, the most unedifying content the better  ;D

See you guys soon!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 06:20:39 PM by Lucie Y »
Oh crępe!

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 12:26:13 AM »
En espanol

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 12:36:25 AM »
@InkyFingers those “H’s” are fantastic!  I have somehow ignored learning or putting much time into “H” but I’m sure when its time comes, I’ll be referring back to this.  The shading is really stunning!

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 12:55:41 AM »
Thanks Karl.  Book 3 of Ziller's