Author Topic: Why Heavens! from the ATL  (Read 1547 times)

Offline ValarieW

• View Profile
    • Dear Ondine
Why Heavens! from the ATL
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
Hi Flourishers!

My mom always told me I should be a surgeon. My hands were good with intricate movements and tiny details but unfortunately my stomach never got the memo. I was never going to make it as a surgeon if I couldn't make it through an episode of ER without looking away! My mom didn't seem to mind as I covered up her fridge with drawings, added a mouse-hole shaped cutout to our baseboard (complete with a welcome mat and mouse-sized TV room) and switched my major 3 years in from pre-med to photography. In college art classes I had found my people - You mean I'm not going to get in trouble for drawing during class? I will get in trouble if I don't?
   I graduated 6 years later with a degree in photography, the most varied transcript ever seen and a over-arching theme of adding text to almost all my works. Fast forward past the "I just graduated with an art degree what am I going to do with my life?" time period to last year. A copperplate course was being taught by a local teacher I admired and had wished during the-rice-and-bean-years I could one day take. I collected pennies from the couch cushions and signed up. I technically skipped "Calligraphy I: The Italic Years" for it's much prettier and more interesting (to me) cousin "Calligraphy II: Copperplate Lust." (side note: these are not actually the names of the classes but I think the instructor would be okay if they suddenly were changed). It was love at first Nikko-G. Technically, the first 3 since they come in a pack...and HOLY COW THESE TINY THINGS ARE $8?! I practiced. A lot. Like a lot, a lot. More than Cher Horowitz loves her red Jeep Wrangler.
  And that brings us to present day. I'm putting up my first website (or attempting to...I can't decide on anything!) and drooling over Instagram pictures from the National Stationary Show. I know I follow a few people on here on there, I'm @idontgiveaclam. Stop by and say hello and stay tuned for calligraphy pictures and hilarious updates from my dog. My goals currently are to get said website up and running and learn Ornamental/spencerian/blackletter. I'm sad to be missing out on the IAMPETH conference this year (ya'll are quick on the draw to sign up! I've been waitlisted) but excited to be part of the flourish forum.

Happy Hairlines, ya'll.
hands of a surgeon, heart of an artist
Instagram: @dearondine

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
Re: Why Heavens! from the ATL
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »
Welcome Valerie. Love your story and I follow you on Instagram and I love all your posts. My Instagram is ilmioamorecalligraphy
Welcome the forum you are going love the people and the information and all the funny stories. I look forward to getting to know you 😊😉

Nickki
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
welcome welcome!!!

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
Ahh! A fellow Georgian , welcome

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
Happy Hairlines to you too!
Welcome!
Roseann

The world is so full of a number of things, Im sure we should all be as happy as kings.   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
"Happy hairlines" is the best pointed pen greeting EVER.  Welcome Valarie!  I'm off to find you on instagram! Look forward to seeing you around :D

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »
Welcome! Sounds like you have quite a background. Based on your intro, you/your dog should be quite entertaining to follow on Instagram!  ;)  I look forward to seeing some of your calligraphy work, too.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
My mom didn't seem to mind as I covered up her fridge with drawings, added a mouse-hole shaped cutout to our baseboard (complete with a welcome mat and mouse-sized TV room) ...

Happy Hairlines, ya'll.

Welcome Valarie a/k/a my twin separated at birth! I would love to see a picture of your mouse hole with accessories! That kind of thing is totally my thing!  :)When I was 10, I wrote a story about two mice named Herbie and Aggie. I made little mice out of tiny dowels & felt and then I made them a little home inside a loaf of bread that my mom then shellaced (is that a real word) for me!

I spent much of my childhood entire life going back and forth between photography and calligraphy.

Loved your hilarious intro! I literally laughed out loud about the Calligraphy I and II! So perfect!

I just followed you on Instagram. Welcome to Flourish! I look forward to reading your posts and seeing your work!  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline ValarieW

• View Profile
    • Dear Ondine
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »
Hello all! I am so excited about all my new insta-friends!

Erica, we do sound like twins! My mom has that mouse hole somewhere, I'll have to search next time I'm at my parents'. I checked out every mouse book imaginable from our library- Ralph S. Mouse, Miss  Frisby and the Rats (not nice but close enough) of NIMH, Angelina ballerina,  and my personal favorites: all the Leo Lionni books. I dreamed of one day illustrating books like him.  It was a precursor to the several gerbils my mother graciously let us have.

Aside from calligraphy and photography, I really love writing too! If you couldn't tell from my novella length posts :)
hands of a surgeon, heart of an artist
Instagram: @dearondine

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
Hi!

I'm new here too, but also new to calligraphy.
Your story is quite entertaining :) I'm off to look for you in IG... I'm @tangledpen

Cheers!
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen