Author Topic: Calligraphy confessions  (Read 59892 times)

Offline anam_t

• View Profile
Re: Calligraphy confessions
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 05:19:20 AM »
So my calligraphy confession is that I just strive for perfection. I will keep doing one type of letter or exercise until I get it to exactly look like the one in the book. But I think that that's the way to go, right? Slow and steady wins the race?!

And I think I have intermediate OCD. I have to clean my nibs until it's completely ink free (can't do that with the Hunt 56). And I clean everything from the flange to the water jar. My water jar is the bottom part of a plastic water bottle.

And I'm very lazy. I know I have to practice but then I delay it. It's like procrastinating for a project due. Shame on me, seriously!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 05:58:32 AM »
Calligraphy is the perfect hobby for people with OCD because repetitive behaviour and cleanliness are highly encouraged. It is good to practice one letter or exercise until it looks like in the book. It may take longer, but your calligraphy will be better for it. Some masters recommend doing the same exercise for a month or more just to perfect a stroke even.
Star

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
So my calligraphy confession is that I just strive for perfection. I will keep doing one type of letter or exercise until I get it to exactly look like the one in the book. But I think that that's the way to go, right? Slow and steady wins the race?!

And I think I have intermediate OCD. I have to clean my nibs until it's completely ink free (can't do that with the Hunt 56). And I clean everything from the flange to the water jar. My water jar is the bottom part of a plastic water bottle.

Those sound like good habits to have!

Some masters recommend doing the same exercise for a month or more just to perfect a stroke even.

:o

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »
confession - spit.  i use spit/saliva, whatever you want to call it to clean my nibs.  gross, but effective.  i now have a small jar of windex on my desk to get the nibs really clean.  but the spit is uber convenient.
and i will now hide under a rock...

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:18 PM »
This thread is adorable!  8)

So, here are mine:
1. I always start practicing the whole alphabet, but when I arrive close to F or G, I start getting tired, so I quit.. For this reason, my A, B, C, D, E aren't bad, while my others letters are terrible!

2. When I write a letter I always forget to buy stamps, so everytime the letter remain in my bag for months (Sorry Natascha, I have a letter for you in my bag :( )

3. I HATE cleaning my nibs, I would like to have auto-cleaning nibs\holder

Offline Cecilia

• show love, share with love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
This thread is so funny!
Ok, let's be sincere: I think I have bacteria of all kinds in my water jar  ::) ...
The worst about me being lazy is: I let small jars of gouache get dry instead of cleaning them because... well, because I think that I may need that exact color in the future and it may be enough to add a few water drops to have it immediately available again... truth is that only a few drops of color remain each time and I'm so damn lazy on it!  ;D  but I remember Erica saying "there's no calligraphy police behind you" in one of her video lessons, so I'm safe!!  ;D
Cecilia
My IG :: My FB Page

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 02:18:43 PM »
Oh, I forgot: I don't know the alphabet, I always forget some letter! I barely know the Italian one, so I put the K, J, Y, X, W at the end ahaha

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »

So, here are mine:
1. I always start practicing the whole alphabet, but when I arrive close to F or G, I start getting tired, so I quit.. For this reason, my A, B, C, D, E aren't bad, while my others letters are terrible!

I am so with you with all of those points. I'm in the same boat regarding capitals, except I looked at my wedding guest list, figured out which letters are used most frequently and have been practicing them the most. The rest are atrocious. I shudder at attempt a Q. ;)

2. When I write a letter I always forget to buy stamps, so everytime the letter remain in my bag for months (Sorry Natascha, I have a letter for you in my bag :( )

I am so guilty of this too! Except since I've started practicing calligraphy, I've gotten much better because I figure if I've spent that much time writing something, darn right the thing is getting mailed! ;)

3. I HATE cleaning my nibs, I would like to have auto-cleaning nibs\holder
LOL!!!!!

I am so with you with all of those points. I'm in the same boat regarding capitals, except I looked at my wedding guest list, figured out which letters are used most frequently and have been practicing them the most. The rest are atrocious. I shudder at attempt a Q. ;)
Star

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
Here is a confession:  I haven't changed my water jar in ... a few days ... it's kinda misty ...

and sometimes i use the dirty water to top up my gouache anyway because i'm so lazy

so ashamed.

I am guilty of the same. When we were getting the entire plumbing system in our house upgraded, I tried to talk to hubs into installing a deep utility sink in my craft room, but he vetoed it  >:(

I am so with you with all of those points. I'm in the same boat regarding capitals, except I looked at my wedding guest list, figured out which letters are used most frequently and have been practicing them the most. The rest are atrocious. I shudder at attempt a Q.

The most commonly used letter would probably be M. :)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:48:49 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »
Well let's see. I also have jars of gouache that I should clean out but keep it. Or I soak them in a bowl of windex for a few days. Really because I'm lazy but telling myself the longer it soaks the better. Lol

I'm a little crazy about keeping nibs and holders clean. But I don't ever take out nibs out unless they are done. The needle nose pliers were taken from me by my husband because when I pull out nibs I get frustrated and believe my holder needs an adjustment but end up making it worse. So my hubby has fixed my holders a few times and finally hid the tools from me. Lol 

Other than that I have NO other bad habits. Hehehe 😜
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »
confession - spit.  i use spit/saliva, whatever you want to call it to clean my nibs.  gross, but effective.  i now have a small jar of windex on my desk to get the nibs really clean.  but the spit is uber convenient.
and i will now hide under a rock...

I do that too - don't think it nasty at all.

However when I started reading 'I now have a small jar of...', I went uh-oh, that would be just too gross - but luckily I soon saw '....windex??? - you have any more room under that rock?

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline jafix

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Jafix Grafix Design & Calligraphy
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
I was just thinking today how I feel like a "hack" and it's just a matter of time before someone finds out:)  I am always taking short cuts - I know I'm good when I do all the "right" things, but many times when I sit down to practice I end up doing my own freestyle writing.  I think partly because I have a fear that I won't ever be as good as I want?

Anyway - thanks I feel better now!

Jenny
Jenny

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »
What a great thread! I have so many bad calligraphy habits and they don't bother me one bit! Here are some I can think of.

1. I use my spit to clean my nibs All.The.Time! You are not alone Joi!
2. I only clean my nibs "well enough"
3. I don't lift my pen after each stroke...or even after most strokes
4. I NEVER use distilled water. Just my extremely hard tap water
5. I don't do drills at all, I only practice words and occasionally individual letters
6. I don't understand imaginary ovals
7. I try to use all available space on my practice paper, turning it in odd directions squeezing in words sideways and upside down. My practice looks like the scrawling of a madwoman... Perhaps it is!
8. If I'm having a bad writing day I practice in gold ink because it's prettier and I can pretend it makes my lettering better!
9. I never ever ever practice with guidelines. Ever.
10. I will not redo an envelope unless there is a catastrophic error.

There are more!!! But I'll save you from further ramblings. In short, I have never been accused of being a perfectionist!

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »
Elsa!
I love your post!!
What a sweethearterrible you are.
And your Calligraphy is beautiful!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:19 PM »

However when I started reading 'I now have a small jar of...', I went uh-oh, that would be just too gross - but luckily I soon saw '....windex'

- Salman

Haha!

So, here are mine:

I do this until about V in capitals sometimes. Mostly because I can't think of a pretty word to practice for W, X, Y or Z.

What a great thread! I have so many bad calligraphy habits and they don't bother me one bit! Here are some I can think of.

1. I use my spit to clean my nibs All.The.Time! You are not alone Joi!
2. I only clean my nibs "well enough"
3. I don't lift my pen after each stroke...or even after most strokes
4. I NEVER use distilled water. Just my extremely hard tap water
5. I don't do drills at all, I only practice words and occasionally individual letters
6. I don't understand imaginary ovals
7. I try to use all available space on my practice paper, turning it in odd directions squeezing in words sideways and upside down. My practice looks like the scrawling of a madwoman... Perhaps it is!
8. If I'm having a bad writing day I practice in gold ink because it's prettier and I can pretend it makes my lettering better!
9. I never ever ever practice with guidelines. Ever.
10. I will not redo an envelope unless there is a catastrophic error.

There are more!!! But I'll save you from further ramblings. In short, I have never been accused of being a perfectionist!

2 and 4: me too! 8: Love it! 9: That's just impressive! I can't do anything without guidelines or pencilling in.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:33:34 AM by Meredith S »