Author Topic: Keeping track of my practice - more photos every few days :)  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping track of my practice - more photos every few days :)
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 08:41:33 AM »
There's a reason you don't like them....they're hard! Keep doing them and as you see your improvement, you may actually come to enjoy them. Embrace the oval! ;)
Star

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
If you are not liking ovals, you might find a different approach more appropriate for your style of learning. As a teacher, I noticed that some students were inclined to practice the same basic strokes over and over before they started putting them together into letters and words. For some students, this worked out just fine.

Other students did much better when their *drills* were groups of 2, 3, or 4 letters. When you put things together, you learn letter spacing and you can also learn word spacing by putting the right amount of space between letter groups.

mum min mom nom tin ton tun nut mint lint  practice rows of those kinds of groups - and see if you see some improvement in your ovals and basic strokes. i can't guarantee it will help, but it might be worth a try.

one of my students who had been focused on single letters, but not making much progress agreed to switch to drills of letter groups. when she arrived at the next class, she had improved quite a bit and was encouraged. she also shared an observation that her husband had made. he had been a musician in the Chicago Symphony - he said, "All those pages of just strokes, or one letter at a time was like spending all your time on scales and never playing actual music." I really appreciated that comment and have been sharing it with students who were hesitant to start words before they had perfected the first 26 letters.

Offline Linda H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »
@jeanwilson wauw, thank you so much for you comment. The way you said it would definitely help me. I will practice again this week and will try out those words. Maybe it Wil come out better than, thank you!
Instagram: @fromlinda.withlove

Offline Linda H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 05:16:37 AM »
I was actually playing around.. I was working on a diy and had some mod podge with copper glitters left. So I thought: let's fancy up my calligraphy box.

The one tiny stupid thing: I wrote it with 'ie' instead of 'y' 😭 stupid, stupid, stupid.. But love it anyway 😍

Offline s.hemprich

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »

IMH
"All those pages of just strokes, or one letter at a time was like spending all your time on scales and never playing actual music."

Jean, that's a great analogy.
Sandy

Offline Linda H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
I noticed that if I practice with the whole letter instead of just the drills, it's easier for me to determine the wide and slant of the O-form.. When it's to wide, it's looks silly and when the slant is to straight, the downstroke next to it looks silly..

Is it okay to practice and do drills in this way? I feel more comfortable with it..

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 02:36:41 PM »

one of my students who had been focused on single letters, but not making much progress agreed to switch to drills of letter groups. when she arrived at the next class, she had improved quite a bit and was encouraged. she also shared an observation that her husband had made. he had been a musician in the Chicago Symphony - he said, "All those pages of just strokes, or one letter at a time was like spending all your time on scales and never playing actual music." I really appreciated that comment and have been sharing it with students who were hesitant to start words before they had perfected the first 26 letters.

What A Wonderful Statement!!! Thank You Jean!!! I Just Had An Ah!Ha! Moment!! This Is Soooo True!!!