Author Topic: Day 19 - 2023: Plump  (Read 267 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Day 19 - 2023: Plump
« on: October 19, 2023, 05:22:19 PM »
Plump

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Day 19 - 2023: Plump
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 08:20:25 PM »
Love that shade in all the right places!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 11:41:45 PM »
@Erica McPhee - Thank you for your enthusiastic response to my "Saddle/Yoke"! It took me five tries before I came up with the right design!
(a lesson for us all, eh, @Matthew H. )

@Lucie Y - Welcome to my world of massive letters with massive errors, although I see only massive skill with yours! I can't wait to see your Fraktur though, as it's bound to be really beautiful too.

@AnasaziWrites - such an adventurous life you live! And what a clever twist on "Plump"!

@Zivio - Dear Friend, I'm delighted to connect with you as a fellow traveller in bike commuting! Alas though, you are more intrepid than I. Once the ice comes down on us, I put my bike away - the year before last I had a horrible wipe-out on black ice in traffic, right around this time of year.

I had meetings all day today, and a mountain of paperwork and grading after dinner, so a quick sketch today:
"Plump" commemorates this year's Fat Bear Week at Katmai National Park - Grazer (with her distinctive blonde ears) won by a large margin. Congratulations to her, and to all the chonky bois at Brooks Camp.
* The blue ink is "Arctic Blast" from Diamine's 2022 Inkvent collection. I just got a note that the 2023 collection is in the mail!

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 06:03:05 PM »
@K2 thank you for your kind words. This group has been a huge source of encouragement on my long and winding and rocky calligraphy path. I really enjoyed the story behind the plump blond eared bear, and that beautiful versal :)

@AnasaziWrites so much serenity in your post. The picture and the calligraphy echo each other perfectly.

As for my Fraktur course, I got access and got through the first hour of the first of 4 classes. It was intense! Putting it to practice this evening was very straining. But the course is also replete with excellent advice that applies to all scripts (italics is what I have most in mind!).
My main focus is italics right now, but I've been at it for months, and I needed to stray a bit, as a way of further reflecting on letter forms and broad edge technique.

Later, I would love to become proficient at gothicized italics. I just love the looks of them!

Below are my first attempts, with a parallel pen.

Oh crêpe!

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 06:55:28 PM »
Inktomber 23
Day 19 _ Plump