Author Topic: Minor Panic Moment- Envelopes  (Read 4097 times)

Offline AmandaDavis

• View Profile
Minor Panic Moment- Envelopes
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
So, I started working on my wedding invitation envelopes yesterday and I laid out all my supplies and got down to business. 

Backstory:  When I ordered my invitations from Vistaprint (I know, I know) they were shipped with coordinating envelopes.  I also purchased some nicer envelopes from LCI Paper to ensure the ink would not bleed all over.  I knew that the ones Vistaprint would bleed, although they are very smooth  ::) 

Anyway, I grabbed both envelopes yesterday to play around with.  I started writing out one address and the ink was bleeding all over and I panicked!  I could not believe that I had spent all that money on an envelope and the ink was bleeding.  I was so upset!  Then, I looked over and realized I had grabbed the wrong envelope.  Whew.  I know it seems silly saying it out loud, but I know you all are the only ones that would understand my pain.  Haha.

On a side note, the Wedding White Smooth envelopes have a little texture to them.  The paper is Matte Eggshell, and I think it describes them perfectly.  They are a little smooth, but just a little difficult to write on if you have a heavy hand due to the eggshell texture.  However, they do not bleed.   ;D 

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Panic Moment- Envelopes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
Haha! I would have panicked, too!!

Do share photos when you're done..I bet they'd be lovely :) Have fun!
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »
I would have done the same thing!!!  ;D Can't wait to see them when you're done, good luck with everything!!!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline chantellehoffmann

• View Profile
    • Bespoke Strokes Calligraphy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:02:50 AM »
Nothing like a little adrenaline to kick-start your invitation process :). So glad there was a quick and happy resolution for you!
Chantelle Hoffmann
Instagram: @bespokestrokes Web:BespokeStrokes.com Facebook: FB

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 02:01:46 AM »
I bet the right paper seemed especially wonderful to you after that shock moment! :D
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 07:03:03 AM »
Oh, Amanda, I have done the SAME THING!  You can scare yourself silly over it!!

I have used those same envelopes from LCI paper & you're right. - They have just a *little* bit of tooth to them.  But, they take ink so smoothly!  I have ordered some letterpress paper & matching envelopes from LCI and I plan to try to design some 50th wedding anniversary invitations for a friend's parents.  I'm knee-deep in alligators right now, with "real life" work and a big wedding job.  I need more "play" time!!

The other thing that I do to scare myself silly when I start a wedding project is that I almost always panic when I pick up the first "outer" envelope.  It's unlined and for some dumb reason I expect it to be lined!!  I have to take a breath, calm down, & remind myself that outer envelopes are never lined, just the inner ones are!!  I'm not sure what my problem is with that, but I do it almost every time!  Maybe with a few more years of experience, I will be able to keep that straight in my head!!

Good luck on your invitations!  Please post photos!!  If you need any help or advice or hit a snag, send me a personal message!

Janis

Offline AmandaDavis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
Thank you, all, for the support!

Janis, I considered designing my own invitations with supplies from LCI, but I just couldn't get up the courage. Haha. Maybe when I have a baby, I'll design some things.  The company was a pleasure to work with.

I have posted my first few on Instagram, but they are to my immediate family who'll forgive my
mistakes.  ;) I will post some on here when I'm done (and have a better hang of it).

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
Amanda, your Instagram feed looks lovely!  I'm now following you. 

I'm sure that you're going to do a beautiful job!!

Janis

Offline AmandaDavis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
Amanda, your Instagram feed looks lovely!  I'm now following you. 

I'm sure that you're going to do a beautiful job!!

Janis

Aww. Thank you!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »
Hi Amanda! You so did not need that heart flutter right now! There's enough of them as it is. :) I'm in your boat with regards to writing invites. They have consumed most of my calligraphy time the past couple of weeks. Just finished the last one 5 minutes ago...mailing tomorrow). Some tips....triple check your addresses before putting on the stamps...I caught errors, even after I my fiance double checked them for me. For the RSVPs, you've heard the number trick? Where you pencil a number on the back, so that if one is returned with no names (apparently it happens), you can refer back to your list to find out. Good luck!!
Star

Offline AmandaDavis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
Hi Amanda! You so did not need that heart flutter right now! There's enough of them as it is. :) I'm in your boat with regards to writing invites. They have consumed most of my calligraphy time the past couple of weeks. Just finished the last one 5 minutes ago...mailing tomorrow). Some tips....triple check your addresses before putting on the stamps...I caught errors, even after I my fiance double checked them for me. For the RSVPs, you've heard the number trick? Where you pencil a number on the back, so that if one is returned with no names (apparently it happens), you can refer back to your list to find out. Good luck!!

Yes, definitely! I have been writing them out to practice prior to committing on the envelope.  I have heard about the RSVPs. I will probably do that before I mail them out.

Congratulations on finishing yours!

Offline aliceedang

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
I started calligraphy cause I wanted to address my wedding invitations when the time comes. I'm definitely excited to see how they turn out. Btw I got the nibs and loved how you addressed the envelope  :) Did you freehand on that or added lines? Cause you write so straight!

Offline AmandaDavis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »
I started calligraphy cause I wanted to address my wedding invitations when the time comes. I'm definitely excited to see how they turn out. Btw I got the nibs and loved how you addressed the envelope  :) Did you freehand on that or added lines? Cause you write so straight!

That was my biggest reason for learning, but I have always been fascinated with handwriting.

Glad you got them!  I was worried because we had a snow storm. I haven't gotten yours, but everything has been delayed, so I'm sure it'll be any day. I drew guidelines. I can't write straight, ever. Haha.

Offline AmandaDavis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »
Well, I finished my envelope writing marathon. It is painfully clear that I have a LONG way to go. Here are a couple pictures for those that were interested.  Although my main reason for learning was to address my invites, I will definitely stick with this. 

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
These look wonderful!!!! Well done!!!! :) What a relief isn't it! It's so much more work than simply 'addressing' envelopes! lol
Star